Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Dear developers. A collection of community suggestions

Maybe just make both sides only have one spawn once they hit the end game status for their side. Far from a great fix but it should eliminate the zerg of final push and possibly force them to group up together since they can not respawn. To try that though I would take out the lowering of attack time to give them a shot at maneuvering more. Last stand people are still screwed though as most caps are in the open

USA Brigadier General

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    We'll soon be looking into expanding skirmishes with something close to what you are suggesting.

The below text is a design doc - note that things are very much indeed subject to change as implementation begins/feedback is given also please note that the mechanic described below is not created to replace the end game events but to add another layer onto skirmishes.

Counter-attack Mechanic

The purpose of this addition to the Skirmishes game mode is to provide a more dynamically flowing battle throughout the 45 minute round time limit of a single skirmish area.

Counter-attack example:

The Confederates are defending a capture point in a skirmish area whilst the Union team is attacking. 20 minutes into the skirmish (25 minutes remaining of the round), the attacking Union team is able to push the defending Confederates off of the point and capture it. The morale level of the Confederates at the time of losing the point to the Union is at “Taking Losses” while the morale level of the Union team is at “Engaged”.

Once the point is captured by the Union, the first Confederate counter-attack of the round is triggered. This means that the Union is now defending the point while the Confederates are attacking it, trying to retake it. An individual Counter-attack timer is replacing the normal round timer when the counter-attack is initiated. The counter-attack timer’s length is based on the morale level of the counter-attacking team (Confederates in this example).

Example of how the counter-attacking team’s morale levels affect the counter-attack timer:

Battle Ready: 20 minutes to retake the point.
    Engaged: 12 minutes to retake the point.
    Taking Losses: 7 minutes to retake the point.
    Breaking: Counter-attacking is not going to happen as the morale of the counter-attacking team is too low to be able to rally for such a push.

If the counter-attacking team manages to recapture the area before the counter-attack timer runs out, the normal round timer will start again (25 minutes left) and the counter-attacking team will now, once again, be the defending team. As the total starting morale of the defending team is always quite a bit lower than the total starting morale of the attacking team, recapturing a point during the counter-attack phase will also even out the morale playing field (example: CSA manages to recapture the area during the counter-attacking phase while their morale level is at “taking losses” and the Union’s morale level is at “Engaged”. The recapture will inspire the defender, thus increasing their morale level to “Engaged”.

If the timer runs out during the counter-attack phase the counter-attacking team will have lost the battle.

A counter-attack phase can happen several times during a single skirmish area, provided that the counter-attacking team is able to retake the point and has more morale than “Breaking” left.

If the counter-attacking team reaches 0 in morale/tickets while they are counter-attacking they lose the round.

- Trusty
    really awesome idea!
    http://www.warofrightsforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=522&dateline=14500460  02

USA General of the Army

Its not a bad idea, it would definitely make battles more fluid. I like that you're looking at making morale a 2 way street. One thing that might need to be considered is tickets available to the counter-attacker during that phase. You'd need some sort of "pool" of reserve troops to try a recapture so it isn't a hopeless effort if they were pulled down to say "breaking." I would argue that if a strategic position were about to be lost you would send in a reserve to regain it within reason. Same with an attacker, if you have the chance to gain a foothold you would reinforce the attack with more troops.

This would be a good start.

CSA Captain

We'll soon be looking into expanding skirmishes with something close to what you are suggesting.

The below text is a design doc - note that things are very much indeed subject to change as implementation begins/feedback is given also please note that the mechanic described below is not created to replace the end game events but to add another layer onto skirmishes.

Counter-attack Mechanic

The purpose of this addition to the Skirmishes game mode is to provide a more dynamically flowing battle throughout the 45 minute round time limit of a single skirmish area.

Counter-attack example:

The Confederates are defending a capture point in a skirmish area whilst the Union team is attacking. 20 minutes into the skirmish (25 minutes remaining of the round), the attacking Union team is able to push the defending Confederates off of the point and capture it. The morale level of the Confederates at the time of losing the point to the Union is at “Taking Losses” while the morale level of the Union team is at “Engaged”.

Once the point is captured by the Union, the first Confederate counter-attack of the round is triggered. This means that the Union is now defending the point while the Confederates are attacking it, trying to retake it. An individual Counter-attack timer is replacing the normal round timer when the counter-attack is initiated. The counter-attack timer’s length is based on the morale level of the counter-attacking team (Confederates in this example).

Example of how the counter-attacking team’s morale levels affect the counter-attack timer:

Battle Ready: 20 minutes to retake the point.
    Engaged: 12 minutes to retake the point.
    Taking Losses: 7 minutes to retake the point.
    Breaking: Counter-attacking is not going to happen as the morale of the counter-attacking team is too low to be able to rally for such a push.

If the counter-attacking team manages to recapture the area before the counter-attack timer runs out, the normal round timer will start again (25 minutes left) and the counter-attacking team will now, once again, be the defending team. As the total starting morale of the defending team is always quite a bit lower than the total starting morale of the attacking team, recapturing a point during the counter-attack phase will also even out the morale playing field (example: CSA manages to recapture the area during the counter-attacking phase while their morale level is at “taking losses” and the Union’s morale level is at “Engaged”. The recapture will inspire the defender, thus increasing their morale level to “Engaged”.

If the timer runs out during the counter-attack phase the counter-attacking team will have lost the battle.

A counter-attack phase can happen several times during a single skirmish area, provided that the counter-attacking team is able to retake the point and has more morale than “Breaking” left.

If the counter-attacking team reaches 0 in morale/tickets while they are counter-attacking they lose the round.

- Trusty
    That's an excellent idea. We need this kind of mechanics in the skirmishes to create dynamics, flexibility and replayability. Only in this way can it be guaranteed that this game mode will not remain a repetitive dead end, as it is currently described by many.

Good job so far +1
    Captain Walter, Leopold, Lothar von-Winkler

Why not a photographer class just for drill camp?
    Could be a character model in civilan clothes.

Sounds like with that counterattack system and teams able to recover morale the battle could potentially go on for a long time.

My favorite objective system is along the lines of "Combat Mission" or a lot of older tactical strategy games where the objectives existed, you took possession of them but you then had to hold them for the duration of the scenario or until one side was wiped out. Both teams get X number of time and at the end of it they need to have possession of the capture areas. It only matters what the final possession is, the scenarios don't terminate in the middle based on a capture. The capture area was a simple on/off instant capture zone which only entered a neutral state when both sides had forces present.

The mentioned system seems like an overly-complicated way of doing that. Obviously a defender is going to counterattack if they don't have the objective, or else they'd lose. The opportunity for a counterattack can be allowed simply by ending instant death upon attackers taking the thing.

What happens if the attacking team takes the objective and then reaches final push? Now they have infinite reinforcements to swarm the counter-attackers and the timer goes down?
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 09-05-2019 at 07:04 PM.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

Quote Originally Posted by Poorlaggedman View Post
    Sounds like with that counterattack system and teams able to recover morale the battle could potentially go on for a long time.

My favorite objective system is along the lines of "Combat Mission" or a lot of older tactical strategy games where the objectives existed, you took possession of them but you then had to hold them for the duration of the scenario or until one side was wiped out. Both teams get X number of time and at the end of it they need to have possession of the capture areas. It only matters what the final possession is, the scenarios don't terminate in the middle based on a capture. The capture area was a simple on/off instant capture zone which only entered a neutral state when both sides had forces present.

The mentioned system seems like an overly-complicated way of doing that. Obviously a defender is going to counterattack if they don't have the objective, or else they'd lose. The opportunity for a counterattack can be allowed simply by ending instant death upon attackers taking the thing.

What happens if the attacking team takes the objective and then reaches final push? Now they have infinite reinforcements to swarm the counter-attackers and the timer goes down?
    Hi there!

Good points you raise.

Yes, the counter-attack mechanic will lengthen some of the games but of course only when the counter-attacking team is able to retake the point. Note that only the original defender is able to counter-attack and retake the point and thus match the morale state of the attacker so it's not a potentially never ending scenario. There is no morale gained by the original attacker should the attacker be able to take the point (the reward for the attacker for taking the point is putting the former defending team on the offensive and against the clock).

It will either be a straight up loss or possibly entering last stand for the attacking (now defending) team if they hit 0 morale during a counter-attack phase.

- Trusty

CSA Captain

First let me say that I do very much appreciate the nice discussion so far and all the suggestions being put forward up to this point. And it is absolutely great to see that the dev team (Trusty in particular) is taking a deeper look into some of the suggestions.

I want to put another suggestion forward concerning the flag and how it could be used for broaden the game play. (I thought it was in the TGV suggestions, but as I looked over the text it had disappeared somehow. ...to my dear TGV friends: just say if you don`t really like me and erase a suggestion! o/O

Well, what I think of is: If possible, make it possible, that the flag can be captured by the enemy team. That means a dropped flag could be taken by an enemy soldier and this could have a somewhat impact on the teams morale. May it be a bonus for the capturing team or malus for the team that lost the flag. I feel the bonus/malus should not be a gamebreaking one, but the one or the other Ticket could be won/lost by capturing a flag. I thought that could be a nice idea and it would somehow reflect the historical setting, as captured flags of enemy units have been mentioned in several "after battle reports". Maybe something to think abot!

In the long run, I also thought of (once the Company Tool would be implemented into the game) that captured/lost Flags could be a statistic, that should/could show up in a Companys record on the Company Tool. I do share the idea of the devs that there should be no personal statistics about Kills in a game and such, but this implementation could be a nice compromise to the ones who`d like some kind of statistics and the (good) idea of not having K/D ratios etc. for the personal soldier in game.

Thanks for reading and thinking about the suggestion. Thank you all folks for putting your thoughts on the game here. Very appreciated!

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Jagdmann View Post
    First let me say that I do very much appreciate the nice discussion so far and all the suggestions being put forward up to this point. And it is absolutely great to see that the dev team (Trusty in particular) is taking a deeper look into some of the suggestions.

I want to put another suggestion forward concerning the flag and how it could be used for broaden the game play. (I thought it was in the TGV suggestions, but as I looked over the text it had disappeared somehow. ...to my dear TGV friends: just say if you don`t really like me and erase a suggestion! o/O

Well, what I think of is: If possible, make it possible, that the flag can be captured by the enemy team. That means a dropped flag could be taken by an enemy soldier and this could have a somewhat impact on the teams morale. May it be a bonus for the capturing team or malus for the team that lost the flag. I feel the bonus/malus should not be a gamebreaking one, but the one or the other Ticket could be won/lost by capturing a flag. I thought that could be a nice idea and it would somehow reflect the historical setting, as captured flags of enemy units have been mentioned in several "after battle reports". Maybe something to think abot!

In the long run, I also thought of (once the Company Tool would be implemented into the game) that captured/lost Flags could be a statistic, that should/could show up in a Companys record on the Company Tool. I do share the idea of the devs that there should be no personal statistics about Kills in a game and such, but this implementation could be a nice compromise to the ones who`d like some kind of statistics and the (good) idea of not having K/D ratios etc. for the personal soldier in game.

Thanks for reading and thinking about the suggestion. Thank you all folks for putting your thoughts on the game here. Very appreciated!

Cheers!
    Thanks for the suggestion.

It's something that's been considered by the team both when designing the flag bearer system as well as at later points in the development.

So far, we've decided against it as we don't wish to add additional reasons as to why a flag should not be at the front with the rest of the regiment (which we feel a capture mechanic where you as the team capturing the flag gaining morale would be - in short, we fear we'd see more of a focus on having flag bearers not just slightly removed from the line as they currently are but rather entirely removed from the line at say, 10 or 20 meters back with a group of people making sure the flag is in formation and defended).

- Trusty

CSA Captain

Thanks for the suggestion.

It's something that's been considered by the team both when designing the flag bearer system as well as at later points in the development.

So far, we've decided against it as we don't wish to add additional reasons as to why a flag should not be at the front with the rest of the regiment (which we feel a capture mechanic where you as the team capturing the flag gaining morale would be - in short, we fear we'd see more of a focus on having flag bearers not just slightly removed from the line as they currently are but rather entirely removed from the line at say, 10 or 20 meters back with a group of people making sure the flag is in formation and defended).

- Trusty
    What about the ability to go prone?
    Texas Poppin B
    My Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/c/SarisTX