Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dear developers. A collection of community suggestions

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by O'Rourke View Post
    Agreed with all of these opinions. There is a well-known dislike in the community towards the End Game events.
    Do something.
    Texas Poppin B
    My Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/c/SarisTX

Quote Originally Posted by Saris View Post
    Do something.
    We did in the last update.

I'd love to hear some suggestions as to what changes you'd like to see made to it that are not about removing end game events altogether (we do not wish to go back to ending the round in the sudden, and often not matching the gameplay at all as we did before end game events were added).

- Trusty

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post

I'd love to hear some suggestions as to what changes you'd like to see made to it that are not about removing end game events altogether (we do not wish to go back to ending the round in the sudden, and often not matching the gameplay at all as we did before end game events were added).

- Trusty
    For Last Stand, give the defenders least 3 lives left before they cant respawn but like before force them to defend the point. Let the defenders spawn at the back end of the point. Also for last stand, make the defenders stay in some sort of formation, skirmishing/in formation. For Final Push, force the defenders to attack in waves, letting them spawn only when 10 or more people are queued up in the respawn.
    Last edited by Saris; 09-02-2019 at 08:37 PM.
    Texas Poppin B

Remove weapon sway and suppression for the defenders in last stand - call it something shite like "heroic courage" - it's pretty much the only way they'd stand a chance.

For Last Stand, give the defenders least 3 lives left before they cant respawn but like before force them to defend the point. Let the defenders spawn at the back end of the point. Also for last stand, make the defenders stay in some sort of formation, skirmishing/in formation. For Final Push, force the defenders to attack in waves, letting them spawn only when 10 or more people are queued up in the respawn.
    I like this idea but timer for final push would need to be adjusted back to its original time imo

It's ceaselessly frustrating to have to concern myself directly with the status in which my compatriots are dying in the first place. And then a switch flips and it no longer matters because my side's morale breaks and everyone turns more heroic than ever (no morale cost) and the defender is indeed basically tied to a stake while the attacker are free to maneuver all around them.

The bottom line is that larger, more cohesive (formation) groups of players should have advantages which they don't have while smaller and more dispersed groups should have penalties which they don't have.

As for team morale and the end of round events, they seem like a weak reed to lean upon. Sure it's always bad if people die off being useless in any game but it should be their problem--not the team's. The way to do that is by compelling players to work within general guidelines for behavior because it generally sucks to do otherwise. Like not charging off alone out of idle boredom, I see this many times a round. I always assumed the out-of-line deaths themselves would one day begin to come with penalties in terms of spawning ability. Obviously any of that (as well as the score system) goes away in the end-of-round events anyway.

The band-aids applied to try and fix the core game mechanics are a little too gamey. Gamey suggestions to fix gamey features.

Desertion penalties make sense for officers, a little bit. I would never run a team in a match with the officer role because of the desertion penalties though. IMO a team leader's place is not in a formation. If the officer was accountable to his team in the first place then there might not be a need for desertion penalties since people would find a new officer to follow if their officer is just off being John Rambo, demoting him of his rank.

Desertion penalties aren't fair for defenders who've just had their morale break, nor does it really make sense. Rather than doing that, the objective should always be such that the round will not expire while neither team is fully in control. This way if the defenders legitimately bail out of the objective (on last stand) and the attackers rush to capture it the defenders will have to counterattack or otherwise stop the cap. Neither team should be able to be saved by a hard timer when the capture zone is contested. It should be like overtime until one side is completely in control of the objective or one team is wiped out.

At least when the attacker is making headway, the timer should not expire. I can foresee bad situations where both teams are out of reinforcements and fighting for the cap while the objective teeters back and forth, prolonging the round quite a bit.

It also doesn't make sense that the attackers get a second wind at final push. That's sort of what no-cost deaths are, even if there shouldn't be team costs in the first place. It should just be that the timer drops significantly as it does and the attacker no longer respawns.

I realize I'm in the minority in this but the compass, the officer-drawn 'lines' and such are all gamey and unneeded. The compass would be good for spectators. It doesn't make sense to have each player referring to a compass. This is a symptom of a greater issue with formations being incohesive mobs with no orderly facing, no left, no right. No subdivisions within formations. I think it can be helped with officers and NCOs having many more options for hand/sword and musket signals. There's a wonderful array of possibilities for signaling things and helping to keep the lines formed properly. The UI-drawn lines and the compass are weak reeds to lean on and don't even work very well and are rarely used properly. I'd much rather have more officer roles more appropriately populated through a fluid election system with roles and teams remaining in place between rounds. Why? So the chain of command can transition easier and the gameplay can seem more fluid.

This game is not something you can jump on and enjoy with literally random and unvetted people leading with no accountability.

toilet_claw.gif
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 09-03-2019 at 03:08 AM.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

Thank you for the suggestions

I think there’s a possible issue with the 3 spawn idea: Spawning on the point will often lead to an instant or close to instant death (especially if the attacker is already in close vicinity) and also open up for spawn camping in general as there is no attacker restricted zone between the spawnpoint of the defenders and the attackers (as there normally is).

I’m also unsure as to why the defenders are to get 3 respawns in last stand when the attackers are currently only getting enough time for 2 respawns (probably closer to 1 and a half respawn if they are forced to spawn in bigger waves).

- Trusty

CSA Captain

Thank you for the suggestions

I think there’s a possible issue with the 3 spawn idea: Spawning on the point will often lead to an instant or close to instant death (especially if the attacker is already in close vicinity) and also open up for spawn camping in general as there is no attacker restricted zone between the spawnpoint of the defenders and the attackers (as there normally is).

I’m also unsure as to why the defenders are to get 3 respawns in last stand when the attackers are currently only getting enough time for 2 respawns (probably closer to 1 and a half respawn if they are forced to spawn in bigger waves).

- Trusty
    I was just suggesting 3 respawns, how about keep it even with the average respawns for attackers during final charge, so 2. The respawn point doesn’t have to be at the back end of the point but more like the closest safe haven for defenders and if that is their deployment zone than so be it. These are all suggestions but these end mechanics really need to be updated, I hate telling my guys to forget the flag once we reach last stand because it’s useless and removes a gun. Maybe making only flag spawnable(in the capture point) once defenders enter last stand. For final charge, we go from organized pushes to all out Zerg rushes because the timer forces us to do the quickest thing possible which is cycle charge.
    Texas Poppin B

USA Brigadier General

- Trusty

after the attacker was able to get the cap point they should be able to defend it for a set time so the defenders get a chance to get the point back. maybe 10 minutes? depending on the map but if an attacker can stay in the cap for a set time, it is clear that they won.
    http://www.warofrightsforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=522&dateline=14500460  02

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Decimus Meridius View Post
    after the attacker was able to get the cap point they should be able to defend it for a set time so the defenders get a chance to get the point back. maybe 10 minutes? depending on the map but if an attacker can stay in the cap for a set time, it is clear that they won.
    We'll soon be looking into expanding skirmishes with something close to what you are suggesting.

The below text is a design doc - note that things are very much indeed subject to change as implementation begins/feedback is given also please note that the mechanic described below is not created to replace the end game events but to add another layer onto skirmishes.

Counter-attack Mechanic

The purpose of this addition to the Skirmishes game mode is to provide a more dynamically flowing battle throughout the 45 minute round time limit of a single skirmish area.

Counter-attack example:

The Confederates are defending a capture point in a skirmish area whilst the Union team is attacking. 20 minutes into the skirmish (25 minutes remaining of the round), the attacking Union team is able to push the defending Confederates off of the point and capture it. The morale level of the Confederates at the time of losing the point to the Union is at “Taking Losses” while the morale level of the Union team is at “Engaged”.

Once the point is captured by the Union, the first Confederate counter-attack of the round is triggered. This means that the Union is now defending the point while the Confederates are attacking it, trying to retake it. An individual Counter-attack timer is replacing the normal round timer when the counter-attack is initiated. The counter-attack timer’s length is based on the morale level of the counter-attacking team (Confederates in this example).

Example of how the counter-attacking team’s morale levels affect the counter-attack timer:

Battle Ready: 20 minutes to retake the point.
    Engaged: 12 minutes to retake the point.
    Taking Losses: 7 minutes to retake the point.
    Breaking: Counter-attacking is not going to happen as the morale of the counter-attacking team is too low to be able to rally for such a push.

If the counter-attacking team manages to recapture the area before the counter-attack timer runs out, the normal round timer will start again (25 minutes left) and the counter-attacking team will now, once again, be the defending team. As the total starting morale of the defending team is always quite a bit lower than the total starting morale of the attacking team, recapturing a point during the counter-attack phase will also even out the morale playing field (example: CSA manages to recapture the area during the counter-attacking phase while their morale level is at “taking losses” and the Union’s morale level is at “Engaged”. The recapture will inspire the defender, thus increasing their morale level to “Engaged”.

If the timer runs out during the counter-attack phase the counter-attacking team will have lost the battle.

A counter-attack phase can happen several times during a single skirmish area, provided that the counter-attacking team is able to retake the point and has more morale than “Breaking” left.

If the counter-attacking team reaches 0 in morale/tickets while they are counter-attacking they lose the round.

- Trusty