Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: 17-09-2019 Forty-Third Field Report: Artillery Progress Update

USA General of the Army

well Drax, your absolutely right, Its been over 2 months since I played, till the other day, I Hated playing with Timers, saw no since in trying again to play something with the same BS timer. Now the game is going back to the good margin, meter will jump high, when the timer is removed from officer class, where he doesn't have to rely upon enough men to get him back into action. I dont care about how rambos play. get rid of Timers, LOL

I'll admit that I'm thus far mostly wrong that trolls would become a serious problem for this game. They aren't that bad yet, unless you just consider bad leaders trolls (a few are). I suspect with new waves of players we'll see more trolls but so far it hasn't been a catastrophe that it was a year ago before admin controls even existed.

Boom. Here comes the artillery.

What I see is a somewhat complicated device that requires teamwork to operate efficiently. Individual crew can (and should be able to) move about and activate or mount parts of the gun and make adjustments. Theoretically players could be working a gun in loading and such and then just have any old crew member come up and start performing tasks such as aiming or taking the lanyard. It's not hard to envision conflicts between players in these areas. You and your buddies are loading the piece and some jackass comes up and seizes the lanyard or takes the sights or starts moving a wheel.

What non-admin recourse does the artilleryman have to the actions of trolls or malignant players? Unlike an infantry formation, a lone artillery crew member player looks like he can be a real problem.

It's easy to envision a group of players operating efficiently and a fool is going to just say "Well, smart teams will work together" but at some point the developers are going to have to decide if they're making a video game for a few groups of friends or are they making a video game for the public. Don't stake the community's existence entirely towards the facilitation of organizations that will one day pack up and leave for the next best thing. BTW that will come a lot sooner if the size of the community is diminished by poor public gameplay.

You need systems in place to allow strangers to come into a server and play together. Without that, it's just an event-based game that covers a few hours of quality playtime each day. Nobody playing outside of set time windows is going to be happy for that long.

Whereas if you had a game where a group of players could create a gun crew, rank up with followers, and maintain exclusive control over a gun or a section of guns at a time ... what a difference that would make.

You want to work with us on these guns we're posted at, you have to join us. If you're an asshole, our leader boots you and you can't rejoin and can't work our gun(s). If your officer is a jackass you leave his section and make another and suddenly he's a private with no authority. It helps shut out trolls and helps guide player motivations to be aligned with their teammates.
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 01-04-2020 at 03:04 AM.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

Quote Originally Posted by Poorlaggedman View Post
    I'll admit that I'm thus far mostly wrong that trolls would become a serious problem for this game. They aren't that bad yet, unless you just consider bad leaders trolls (a few are). I suspect with new waves of players we'll see more trolls but so far it hasn't been a catastrophe that it was a year ago before admin controls even existed.

Boom. Here comes the artillery.

What I see is a somewhat complicated device that requires teamwork to operate efficiently. Individual crew can (and should be able to) move about and activate or mount parts of the gun and make adjustments. Theoretically players could be working a gun in loading and such and then just have any old crew member come up and start performing tasks such as aiming or taking the lanyard. It's not hard to envision conflicts between players in these areas. You and your buddies are loading the piece and some jackass comes up and seizes the lanyard or takes the sights or starts moving a wheel.

What non-admin recourse does the artilleryman have to the actions of trolls or malignant players? Unlike an infantry formation, a lone artillery crew member player looks like he can be a real problem.

It's easy to envision a group of players operating efficiently and a fool is going to just say "Well, smart teams will work together" but at some point the developers are going to have to decide if they're making a video game for a few groups of friends or are they making a video game for the public. Don't stake the community's existence entirely towards the facilitation of organizations that will one day pack up and leave for the next best thing. BTW that will come a lot sooner if the size of the community is diminished by poor public gameplay.

You need systems in place to allow strangers to come into a server and play together. Without that, it's just an event-based game that covers a few hours of quality playtime each day. Nobody playing outside of set time windows is going to be happy for that long.

Whereas if you had a game where a group of players could create a gun crew, rank up with followers, and maintain exclusive control over a gun or a section of guns at a time ... what a difference that would make.

You want to work with us on these guns we're posted at, you have to join us. If you're an asshole, our leader boots you and you can't rejoin and can't work our gun(s). If your officer is a jackass you leave his section and make another and suddenly he's a private with no authority. It helps shut out trolls and helps guide player motivations to be aligned with their teammates.
    If the developers are creating a game for a group of people to play in an organized fashion, that's developing the appeal of the game and that's what public players want. An organization is just a group of players that have agreed to play together consistently, but at the core of it, them and public players want the same thing, use the same mechanics, and there's little to nothing that's been added to the game that's been purely for groups aside from passworded servers (which hasn't killed the game).

I do agree though that any old jackass could walk up and fuck with an artillery crew, but that's just one of the things that will happen in unrestricted public gameplay. The best we can do is just have admins on those servers to kick people, like we have right now. That's part of the reason we wanted passworded servers, so we weren't spending all our time messing about with kicking people that were trolling.

USA General of the Army

Well thats what caused all the penalties to be imposed, due to rambos, because people cried about 2 or 3 guys with pistols running in taking out 8 or 12 men. and the solution to stop rambos, led to all the penalties to be imposed, That I for 1 was totally against. I didnt care how rambos played. The cannons havent come out yet, so I woudnt worry about something till then, and then dont complain, to see another absurd penalty play imposed, that will effect those complaining just as bad, as it will to stop someone from doing something that people will surely complain about. On a Side note Thank you Trusty for removing some of the penalties. I am no longer feel like a staked rabbit. not so sure I like overtime though.

го играть товарищи

USA General of the Army

I don't know that it will be the big of an issue. Sure, put something in place to prevent it, but like Calmmyst has said don't impose more penalties. At some point we have to let admins do their job and not have some umbrella solution that handicaps everyone. The officer deal is probably too strict at this point, but it was absolutely needed at the time.

Is there any update on the Anti-Cheat? Are Gatling Gun's for real?

Check out this War of Rights Stream...
    https://youtu.be/PMGFIO5-aZE

Quote Originally Posted by Grudge Bringer View Post
    Is there any update on the Anti-Cheat? Are Gatling Gun's for real?

Check out this War of Rights Stream...
    https://youtu.be/PMGFIO5-aZE
    Hello,

We're investigating this currently.

- Trusty

USA General of the Army

Pretty Pathetic to CHEAT! get mad about Penalties, BUT DONT CHEAT! go PLAY MOH if you need to cheat! I would say for everyone who sees this cheater, SHOOT HIM, no mater what side hes on. He will never get a shot off, and get tired of dying, and get himself banned for TKs, then its what 6 hours before people do it again, if he rejoins game. as it is everyone can take a shot at this cheater, then tell the other side to come TK this cheater, 149 Players to 1 LOL.
    Last edited by calmmyst; 01-05-2020 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    Hello,

We're investigating this currently.

- Trusty
    Wow ty dev! Funny thing is the community is so wholesome people from last night swear it was a gatling gun. Even though the guy admits it in rebel chat.

Great game. Really excited for for this to go huge.