Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 17-09-2019 Forty-Third Field Report: Artillery Progress Update

Quote Originally Posted by A. P. Hill View Post
    Again, this is a work in progress. It's still Alpha.
    The rate of development being slow and steady strongly compels me to bring concerns out up front when it comes to fundamental issues. I see a real danger of 'out of line' becoming 'you are about to desert' for infantry as a quick fix to artillery being constantly harassed by lone enemy players or to other problems arising.

With trolls, yikes. So much they can do as someone pointed out already with artillery. As soon as friendly fire is turned on again post-artillery (as it should be) you have an easy #1 way to troll: standing in front of the barrel of your own side's guns. How is that going to be stopped? I don't have an answer but I'm willing to bet it'd be worth some thought to prevent it and if I don't bring it up it seems everyone takes a 'wait and see' approach for everything.

Perhaps give a way for artillery crew to voice command yell at infantry (or other crew) to GTFO the way and then the infantry nearby who are in the path of the barrel or just in the immediate proximity are given a warning on their screen and if they don't move after a couple seconds the gunners are not held liable for the TK. Just an idea.
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 09-21-2019 at 02:13 AM.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

USA General of the Army

Attached Images Attached Images

CSA Captain

Awesome, love the breakdown of the different mechanics too!
    Passion prevails!

Quote Originally Posted by Poorlaggedman View Post

Perhaps give a way for artillery crew to voice command yell at infantry (or other crew) to GTFO the way and then the infantry nearby who are in the path of the barrel or just in the immediate proximity are given a warning on their screen and if they don't move after a couple seconds the gunners are not held liable for the TK. Just an idea.
    Good idea. Give each piece a radius where tk's don't count and are written off as infantry error/death by misadventure.

Another idea is to make each gun cause suppression to non-artillerymen from either side within a certain distance. A bit like the circle of fear from the melee improvement thread. Designed to make the arty guns terrifying to standard infantry. Neither idea would stop idiots approaching, but it would make it a ball-ache for them to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark L. E. E. Smith View Post
    Good idea. Give each piece a radius where tk's don't count and are written off as infantry error/death by misadventure.
    It is an interesting idea - I can see it being potentially exploitable, however. If you push back a cannon to the main spawn of the infantry and load it up with canister you'll be able to kill a lot of teammates without triggering any friendly fire punishment action as they will not count towards this, being in close proximity to the cannon.

Another (somewhat more gamey solution, I'll give you that) is to allow the shell to always pass through friendlies in close proximity to the cannon. Super heavy suppression will of course still be happening.

- Trusty

USA General of the Army

Let's not nerf the stuff before it even makes it into game. There needs to be some sense of danger associated with this, it will require coordination between arty and infantry as far as attacks. It shouldn't be batteries firing away at random targets, you know team work in a game that requires team work.

One feature that may be useful is the ability for server admins to lock out the artillery class, that way if you want to have an infantry only match you can or if you have trolls hogging the guns you can just make it where they can't respawn.

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    It is an interesting idea - I can see it being potentially exploitable, however. If you push back a cannon to the main spawn of the infantry and load it up with canister you'll be able to kill a lot of teammates without triggering any friendly fire punishment action as they will not count towards this, being in close proximity to the cannon.
    - Trusty
    Yeah that would be unfortunate. Would it be possible to paint areas of the map where the guns can't be moved to, or areas they can't target? For example, the areas which are out of bounds to the opposition in theory wouldn't need to be fired into - thereby stopping the player also firing into the friendly infantry main spawn. Or perhaps only activating the tk penalties if the cannon is in or facing towards such areas?
    Last edited by Mark L. E. E. Smith; 09-21-2019 at 10:50 PM.

It's not in yet but I think it's a good idea to contemplate the problems before they arise. The easier it is for the game to function without admins the better. It really isn't that far-fetched to imagine friendly players wanting to stand in front of the barrel to intentionally be TK'd whether specifically malicious trolling or not. Without an admin present to stop that a single troll could severely frustrate all the artillery players. It's also not a stretch to imagine an artillery player targeting friendlies intentionally and you don't want to make that any easier to do without at least an autoban.

Quote Originally Posted by Oleander View Post
    One feature that may be useful is the ability for server admins to lock out the artillery class, that way if you want to have an infantry only match you can or if you have trolls hogging the guns you can just make it where they can't respawn.
    Yes, definitely. I'd like to see the ability to remove the artillery roles from the server as well, in similar fashion to how you can monkey with the regiments which spawn in for each scenario.

Also an option to turn off the random artillery, like we can turn off the weather
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 09-22-2019 at 01:49 AM.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

USA Captain

Very sorry if this question has already been answered but will there be a certain amount of ammunition for artillery, possibly making people or officers think when and when not to use artillery so not to waste it so it doesn't get spammed.

Regards,

Shifty
    Last edited by [1st Cav] Shifty; 09-23-2019 at 03:25 AM.
    Recon

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    Artillery is modeled with the exact loadout of ammunition in the ammo chests for the particular gun.

In this case : 6lb and 3 inch varity, 50 rounds, 12 Pdr 32. Etc.