Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: 17-09-2019 Forty-Third Field Report: Artillery Progress Update

USA General of the Army

Any update?

Quote Originally Posted by Oleander View Post
    Any update?
    Yeah at this point, it'd be nice to just have a report of the state of the game, the state of artillery, where you want to go with the game. Do we have to keep guessing and speculating with the little information given?

Come to think of it, why has it been so hard over the years to get information?
    Last edited by McMuffin; 12-12-2019 at 04:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    We don't know yet. This week we've been seeing a major programming related blocker related to the proxy of the cannon when pushed resolved so progress is being made.

We might end up releasing a more detailed status report to you all if the initial artillery release is not ready at the end of the year.

- Trusty
    As I stated a few weeks ago, progress is being made. We’re probably at a point now where there’ll be no more updates until the initial release of artillery.

We’ll give a more detailed status report by the end of the year if its not out by then.

Quote Originally Posted by McMuffin View Post
    Yeah at this point, it'd be nice to just have a report of the state of the game, the state of artillery, where you want to go with the game. Do we have to keep guessing and speculating with the little information given?

Come to think of it, why has it been so hard over the years to get information?
    Because we are very careful with what information we put out there. We don’t want to hype everybody up about early prototypes (or even just early talks/designs) that might never make it into the game. It’s also why we’ve never mentioned a player cap number as being our target or given hard release dates for features well in advance.

Lastly, it is also partially because we don’t have a community manager/PR manager as we’re a small studio and would rather spend the money on developing the game.

- Trusty

As I stated a few weeks ago, progress is being made. We’re probably at a point now where there’ll be no more updates until the initial release of artillery.

We’ll give a more detailed status report by the end of the year if its not out by then.

Because we are very careful with what information we put out there. We don’t want to hype everybody up about early prototypes (or even just early talks/designs) that might never make it into the game. It’s also why we’ve never mentioned a player cap number as being our target or given hard release dates for features well in advance.

Lastly, it is also partially because we don’t have a community manager/PR manager as we’re a small studio and would rather spend the money on developing the game.

- Trusty
    I think most people will understand if you very explicitly say something is a prototype or early design or concept, it's subject to change. Plus, if it's a prototype/early design/concept, why not ask 'Hey we're working on this, what do you all think?', granted not everything has to be posted. Things are just kinda added without even bothering to really pitch it to anybody, even when before Early Access when we were supposedly testers who's results were often ignored or 10000 reasons were given why to ignore what the entire community says. Hard release dates are understandably not given out, I don't like those being given either as they are seldom met by most people anywhere in life.

I hope a new year ushers better communication.
    Last edited by McMuffin; 12-13-2019 at 12:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by McMuffin View Post
    I think most people will understand if you very explicitly say something is a prototype or early design or concept, it's subject to change. Plus, if it's a prototype/early design/concept, why not ask 'Hey we're working on this, what do you all think?', granted not everything has to be posted. Things are just kinda added without even bothering to really pitch it to anybody, even when before Early Access when we were supposedly testers who's results were often ignored or 10000 reasons were given why to ignore what the entire community says. Hard release dates are understandably not given out, I don't like those being given either as they are seldom met by most people anywhere in life.

I hope a new year ushers better communication.
    Thanks for the feedback.

I’m sorry to hear that you feel your feedback has been ignored throughout the development of the game.

I don’t think there’s a single of the 165 alpha updates that does not include fixes of either highlighted or directly reported issues by the community - feedback is everything when developing a publically available alpha - it’s practically impossible to make any kind of progress without it so we’re thankful for the help of everyone spending time testing or simply playing the alpha as it does help out.

- Trusty

I think there's a balance between a community that can only wildly speculate and one that's disappointed with things falling through. I do recall a post that said we'd have 200 person server upgrades within a few weeks last Spring. In that case it obviously both fell through (waiting to coincide with artillery) and left people to wildly thrash about in the dark speculating when changes will occur and what they'll be like. Perhaps if the game has generated enough income to continue development for years, as has been said previously, then some more folks should be hired. I'm not saying the rate of development is anything uniquely slow among crowd-funded games but that it is definitely slow and I would think continued success would pay dividends.

Also everyone is pretty much in the dark about how artillery will function just in principle. Obviously the shooty end fires. How the game will endeavor to keep gunners at their post, how they'll be able to defend themselves, how much freedom of movement they'll get, how the game will try and make the teamwork required to operate them work? (Can a player run off with a ramrod or is it fixed with the gun?). It's not like there's a parallel dev team working on another intriguing project at the moment although if the pace continues for five more years like this then there will be. We know the projectiles won't harm friendlies, the guns move and can be aimed, and 3 inch ordinance guns will be the first out. That's about it.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

Thanks for the feedback.

I’m sorry to hear that you feel your feedback has been ignored throughout the development of the game.

I don’t think there’s a single of the 165 alpha updates that does not include fixes of either highlighted or directly reported issues by the community - feedback is everything when developing a publically available alpha - it’s practically impossible to make any kind of progress without it so we’re thankful for the help of everyone spending time testing or simply playing the alpha as it does help out.

- Trusty
    I never said that bugs went unfixed, I was talking about the fact that mechanics are never hinted at, never pitched to the community for any feedback, in fact, feedback is very rarely asked for when it comes to things that make the game a game. What feedback we do provide, from what I remember when I was far more active on the forums some months ago, was mostly for naught save for 'Thanks for feedback, we'll think about it.'

Why did sound options take an eternity? Excellent question that was asked for years, did we ever really get an answer? Nope, instead it became a meme when we saw new game mechanics and code rewrites come before sound options. Maybe you all had a reason for it that was very valid, but we would never know that because you never tell us anything. Instead, we have to speculate, we constantly have to speculate.

I feel like it's strange to just add things to the game that could potentially change the game a lot but not even tell the community how you're thinking it may work? I'm not even talking about just artillery, this could be applied to any game mechanic you all may add. Do we seriously have to go through this silly dance and forum argument to try and convince you that what the entire community wants, like I am doing right now and what countless people have asked for, should maybe get some consideration?

Come on man, we're not asking for Star Citizen's PR and community management. Would it be too hard to maybe once every 2-3 weeks take maybe 30 minutes at max and say 'Hey, here's where things are going, here's what issues we have, etc'. If things are status quo and not much has changed, great, tell us, we'll get it, easy post for you. You have a devoted community who deserves to know more about a project that many of us have stayed with for years.
    Last edited by McMuffin; 12-13-2019 at 01:50 AM.

I too would like more updates and information. At the same time I do understand why the devs are taking the aproach they do. And would argue that they clearly listens to the community, Picket patrol, last stand vs final push . And now the updated version. Clearly inspired from the many debates in the community - Just not allways in direct interaction with the community. Why I have no doubt that arty will be in our spirit. But as I said, I too would like more info.

Campfire games are situated in DK(<3), so have you guys thought about getting a trainee. I am sure there a alot outthere that would rather learn at your company, and this community, than with BT or Ekstrabladet. I think those poor sods come more or less for free, or taxpayer funded as it where.

USA General of the Army

I have always been a strong supporter of the Dev team since I joined. Even with out disagreements, I've defended your choices. Now....I would put myself strongly in the anti-Dev camp. I'm glad I can't play War of Rights right now due to being in Japan. I lost any joy I had in the game knowing no matter what was said the Devs didn't care. What joy is there to be had when you have no clue what's to come next and what you currently have stinks.

McMuffin is correct. If feed back is not heard and appropriatly acted upon. People are crashing out hard and it's going to take Arty to bring them back. If Arty is poorly thought through and the game player is no fun, then it might be GG. You need to give the community more news and spike more interest. You can't just hide behind a locked door claiming shadows will steel your ideas and people will be pitchforks and torches 24/7. A week or even monthly update of any form would go SO far.

You guys don't have a community manager anymore after the loss of Hinkel? Then get create in thinking of how to find a new one. Most people in this community would be your community manager for free if asked I'm sure of it. People are that pationate about War of Rights as a community. You guys have the "Fighting Men of War of Rights" once, that vanished. George's Battefield Tours feel through! There were great little things to just keep people knowing there was still something going on. Utter silence for ages then "Boom we go this and we don't care what you think we like it so therefor it's good" has worn thin on so many people. Reach out to the community for someone! You've done it before why not do it again?

When did you ever had a community manager?
    Richmond Howitzers, 3rd Company