Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 17-09-2019 Forty-Third Field Report: Artillery Progress Update

USA 1st Lieutenant

I had a conversation with a pretty reliable source the other day who mentioned that TKs may be turned off in the early days of artillery so that players can get used to it. As for penalties, the devs were working on a proper solution to that.

USA General of the Army

Quote Originally Posted by Xbwalker View Post
    I had a conversation with a pretty reliable source the other day who mentioned that TKs may be turned off in the early days of artillery so that players can get used to it. As for penalties, the devs were working on a proper solution to that.
    The devs have previously confirmed this.

I think Calmmyst meant penalties as in gameplay. In the past he was pretty sore on the suppression mechanics and out of line penalties. What I'm curious is whether artillery crews going to be restricted to playing near their guns with desertion zones or timers, etc..

Quote Originally Posted by Xbwalker View Post
    I had a conversation with a pretty reliable source the other day who mentioned that TKs may be turned off in the early days of artillery so that players can get used to it.
    Get used to what? Being reckless with cannon fire?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Drax View Post
    When it is turned on eventually they described a system of restricting gunners from temporarily playing as artillery class if they rack up too much team damage.
    So a player later on can go artillery, land some pretty nasty TK hits and then just get booted from the artillery branch?

Keep in mind a single player could potentially load and work his own gun. And there are quite a few guns laying around Antietam-more guns than there are infantry regiments in skirmish areas. Who gets the credit for the TK btw? The guy who sets the fuze? The one who aims? The one who pulls the lanyard? Beyond that the potential for trolling is monumental and the requirements of servers to police this are terrifying. Sometimes I feel like the only person who really takes the time to exercise the thought process of a troll around here. By all accounts it sounds like there's going to be a lot of ways to interfere with and hijack the operations of cannon crews in manners that a single foot soldier is just unable to do at present. If all else fails they can just stand in front of the barrel. Goading players to TK is a far more effective way of trolling than TKing itself. I wouldn't be worried if I didn't see this game increasingly being packaged for closed server operations. In society, a laissez-faire approach doesn't mean we abolish the courts and declare anarchy. Not having any structure with player feedback is anarchy and only the iron fist of a closed server environment can solve anarchy in that case.

Artillery, with all it's requirements for teamwork, would be a great opportunity to work on a squad system where players consent to work and appoint each other during gameplay. That way you could at least choose who to work a gun with. It's not an expressed goal of mine to make enemies yet the ultra-cartoonish reality of people demanding exclusivity from public gameplay for the sake of their own cohesion while simultaneously insisting that zero accommodations are made to make public gameplay stand a realistic chance at cohesion ... come'on.

I don't have any solutions and am just waiting like everyone else. But there's so many levels of new problems being introduced and meanwhile the team morale system hasn't been altered since they made kneeling downgrade you from in formation to skirmishing if you can remember back that far. I admire the vision but at present artillery is purely a looming impediment to WoR's gameplay.
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 12-24-2019 at 05:32 AM.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

USA General of the Army

Need I remind everyone that everything in this thread, outside of what Trusty has confirmed, is speculation. We don't know how the TK penalties will work, we don't know what effect it is going to have on gameplay and we don't know all the restrictions, if any, are going to be placed on artillery crews. We had trolls that would take the officer class in the beginning if you will remember, and a group of them would get together and TK entire lines then run off. Its going to be a work in progress and we won't know the full extent of the issues until its implemented. We can guess player behavior until the cows come home, but until its in the game there's no way to know for sure.

And as far as the morale system goes, the devs have said, in a couple threads now, that it wouldn't be wise to work on it until artillery is in place.

USA General of the Army

Thank YOU Poorlaggedman That is exactly what I was implying, Ex, how far away from the gun before you desert, Not aloud to have your side arm, or rifle for close quarter battles, not have enough Men to fire the main gun, unable as a last ditch effort, for one man to swab, load, aim and fire, yes This would take time for one man to do all the steps required to fire a cannon, but its been done. WOR made me feel negative About this game, Warboy, with all the penalties imposed, I do not like last stand, where one is made to feel you have just had all 4 limbs STAKED down like a rabbit for the slaughter, when just out of the desertion point, is a perfectly defincible spot, you cant take cover behind. while the enemy can take full advantage of cover, and slaughter all the staked rabbits. I never attack on last stand, I dont like shooting staked rabbits. Let us have full control of a server where we can get rid of all those penalties, and watch it be the only one always filled, and have many waiting to get in. it would be like a Trump Rally, everyone shows up but only a few can get in, lol

Quote Originally Posted by calmmyst View Post
    Thank YOU Poorlaggedman That is exactly what I was implying, Ex, how far away from the gun before you desert, Not aloud to have your side arm, or rifle for close quarter battles, not have enough Men to fire the main gun, unable as a last ditch effort, for one man to swab, load, aim and fire, yes This would take time for one man to do all the steps required to fire a cannon, but its been done. WOR made me feel negative About this game, Warboy, with all the penalties imposed, I do not like last stand, where one is made to feel you have just had all 4 limbs STAKED down like a rabbit for the slaughter, when just out of the desertion point, is a perfectly defincible spot, you cant take cover behind. while the enemy can take full advantage of cover, and slaughter all the staked rabbits. I never attack on last stand, I dont like shooting staked rabbits. Let us have full control of a server where we can get rid of all those penalties, and watch it be the only one always filled, and have many waiting to get in. it would be like a Trump Rally, everyone shows up but only a few can get in, lol
    Hello,

There is no longer a desertion timer when leaving the point of contention as a defender during last stand.

Merry Christmas!

- Trusty

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    Hello,

There is no longer a desertion timer when leaving the point of contention as a defender during last stand.

Merry Christmas!

- Trusty
    He might have realized that Trusty if he had recently played the game in the last month and half...

USA General of the Army

So, am I correct in guessing we won't have artillery before the end of the year?

CSA Captain

It's practically impossible to say. We hope to have it out as soon as possible - there's one super nasty programming issue where all placed cannon entities have to get deleted and replaced in order for the build to work again if but a tiny bit of the artillery code has been updated.

Until that is fixed there's no way I'm going to start placing cannon entities on the different skirmish areas. :P

We're also not quite sure what timeframe we're looking at in regards to getting the limbers workable.

- Trusty
    A quote from yesterday, so yes its pretty safe to say that arty won’t be released within the next 3 days...

This is a real bummer...
    siiiiiip, yup.