Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 17-09-2019 Forty-Third Field Report: Artillery Progress Update

USA General of the Army

Awesome, thanks!

One other thing I forgot to ask is if limbers can be moved as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Oleander View Post
    Awesome, thanks!

One other thing I forgot to ask is if limbers can be moved as well.
    Yes, you can move them

See, look at that, it’s stuff like that post you had above and the unfiltered look in that we appreciate immense amounts. We’ve been asking those questions about artillery for a while and it’s good to finally get them and I hope this continues.

Also for that bare minimum number, I’m assuming that one person means, if someone wanted to, they could eventually get all the tasks done, like in real life. However, for the average gun at normal operations what is the number?
    Last edited by McMuffin; 12-13-2019 at 10:34 PM.

USA Brigadier General

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    Thank you all for your feedback.

We will try to do better (we always are trying to).

Yes, Hinkel held the Community Manager in title, not as an actual job. It was a leftover special forum title from the the very early days when he joined the crew back in like 2013 or 2014 where he took a good part of his mod comunity with him and thus thought it was a good idea to also act as the official community manager of the game. We've never had a hired, full time (or part time) community manager.

This is from the field reporting regarding what sort of artillery features we're currently working on as well as what features we would like to work on in the future:

The very first artillery implementation which we’re quickly headed towards will be a work in progress (as most if not all things in an alpha are) and will thus feature both limited game mechanics as well as a lot of new exciting bugs for you to enjoy.

That being said, it will feature the core mechanics of functional artillery:
    Different artillery classes with different tools and weaponry.
    Unlimited artillery crew slots - if a team wishes to use all available battery pieces (or none) they can do so.
    Pushable cannons (by wheels) by two players at once.
    Ammunition and powder pickups from limbers.
    Different types of loads (such as explosive shell and canister shot).
    Horizontal aiming adjustments by lifting the tailspike of the cannon.
    Vertical aiming adjustments by turning the elevation screw of the cannon.
    Firing by fixing a lanyard to a primer and pulling it.
    Recoil from firing will require the cannon to be pushed back to its initial position in order to maintain accurate fire.
    Pushable limbers in order to make sure that the supply for the cannon can be moved with it should it be deemed a good idea to relocate the gun.
    Here’s a short list of some of the things we’ll be looking to bring to the artillery system in later released iterations:
    Artillery specific team damage punishment system (the first release of artillery will have friendly fire turned off).
    Chance of normal and catastrophical misfires without proper maintenance of the cannon.
    Dry sponge & worm tools for properly clearing stuck embers after firing.
    Chance of explosion when hitting the limbers.
    Chance of explosion when hitting the shell while it is being carried over to the gun for loading.
    Vent hole plugging step while loading.
    Fence destruction.
    Horse drawn artillery.

Here's me going into details about the counter-attack mechanic design, the latest major addition to the gamemode several months before it was ready to be released, giving you direct access to our design doc which was thought up and created largely because of your feedback - as was the picket patrol mode earlier: https://www.warofrightsforum.com/sho...ll=1#post97691

We do try to inform you of what we are working on - and I see several of you that feel the development is going too slow (as well as those that feel we should communicate more with you).

The question is if you would rather have more communication but less actual content (the money spent on a community manager's full time position can only be spent once). This will also mean that the communication that is indeed put forward will be largely filler based (one can only say "we're developing artillery" in so many interesting ways).

I see some of you ask for George videos and The Fighting Men of War of Rights ones too. While they did contain historical information, they were more PR videos than anything else (containing little to no game development related content).

We're not witholding any information from you that is super awesome and just about to drop or anything of the sort and we're most certainly not afraid of people stealing our ideas (or we wouldn't put out design docs months in advance even of their implementation).

As I feel like the two posts as of late I have made in relation to the status of artillery isn't what you're looking for I would like to ask you what kind of updates you would like to get from us.

I'm sorry to see there's now being spoken of an "Anti-dev camp". That is not a good starting point for dialogue at all I think.

- Trusty
    First of all i would like to thank Trusty for sharing your screenshots (from sourcetree?) there are some very interesting changes there. can you tell me which colors are which branch and what is the trunk? just to get a feeling about your progress. (SVN looks a bit different ^^)
    From my point of view you could share such screens more often. I will "translate" them and can tell our Community "TGV" whats going on. that will make a lot guys happy.

second i cant support the thesis that the dev team isnt listening to our feedback. This Thread shows that the dev team listen to feedback and some points of our list made it to the game. Thats great and it animates our guys to do such feedback rounds again. maybe after Artillery release, but we will see.

But i would like the idea of small update video maybe every 2 weeks? just show your versioning software, highlight some of your more interesting commits and tell us 2 or 3 sentences about it. If you have a screenshot you could show it. Just a small headsup. no need to be longer than 5 minutes.

We also like the Videos from Fancy

Another Idea, maybe nothing for you guys, since you all tend to be a bit quiet ( ) and I may suggested it once:

A 3rd Party Dev from DCS: World made 2 livestreams where he did some live debugging. Code was blurred due to an NDA but it was interesting to listen how you debug a fly sim. Thats something you could do also with your modellers when they build or rework some models.

Nobody expects a "good streamer performance" if you keep quiet for minutes, thats fine. just watch your working and see how game dev looks, could build some understanding.

sorry for my english. I am a bit tired :/
    http://www.warofrightsforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=522&dateline=14500460  02

Quote Originally Posted by McMuffin View Post
    See, look at that, it’s stuff like that post you had above and the unfiltered look in that we appreciate immense amounts. We’ve been asking those questions about artillery for a while and it’s good to finally get them and I hope this continues.

Also for that bare minimum number, I’m assuming that one person means, if someone wanted to, they could eventually get all the tasks done, like in real life. However, for the average gun at normal operations what is the number?
    I can't answer your question regarding normal operations as we have yet to do a complete and proper multiplayer test as key aspects are not yet implemented. It also hugely depends on the situation I think. Are we talking continous fire at the same exact position? Does the barrel need to be elevated or depressed often between shots due to the targets getting closer/further away? Does the trailspike need to be lifted often in order to adjust horizontally as the targets are moving in front of the cannon rather than towards it? How far away is the limber of the particular battery? Is the battery in a hotly contested area resulting in crew members getting killed, meaning more players being needed per gun if delaying the loading procedure is to be avoided? etc.

I'm sure you'll all be helping us out finding the optimal number of crew members per gun in most if not all of the different possible situations listed above.

- Trusty

You don't need to pay a community manager. Just have General Cody sign a non-disclosure agreement and give him sneak peaks every 2-3 months and let him monetize it. It's not so much the lack of communication it's just the pace of progress. From the player perspective updates are coming painstakingly slow. That's what drives people up the wall. Not everybody is in it for the long haul. For some people 2 1/2 years is 10-20% of their life they've been playing Alpha to get from A to B.

Fence destruction.
    headbang.gif

Horse drawn artillery.
    I like the ambition of this dev team.

I'm mostly concerned with artillery that it's going to be something trolls join for maximum effect on top of a serious distraction from well-populated infantry combat. Someone could take a critical item and run away with it or go AFK. What's to stop someone from pushing a cassion to an area and using it as a booby trap to be targeted by a battery? Standing in front of a cannon barrel? Give a bunch of strangers a cannon and see what happens without controls already existing beyond just admins playing whack-a-mole. I'm not worried about it in the short term.
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 12-14-2019 at 02:02 AM.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

I can't answer your question regarding normal operations as we have yet to do a complete and proper multiplayer test as key aspects are not yet implemented. It also hugely depends on the situation I think. Are we talking continous fire at the same exact position? Does the barrel need to be elevated or depressed often between shots due to the targets getting closer/further away? Does the trailspike need to be lifted often in order to adjust horizontally as the targets are moving in front of the cannon rather than towards it? How far away is the limber of the particular battery? Is the battery in a hotly contested area resulting in crew members getting killed, meaning more players being needed per gun if delaying the loading procedure is to be avoided? etc.

I'm sure you'll all be helping us out finding the optimal number of crew members per gun in most if not all of the different possible situations listed above.

- Trusty
    We'll be too busy figuring out the absolute maximum limits we can push the gun to before failure occurs.

USA General of the Army

Im just curious as to what Penalty Playing will be imposed upon gun crews lol, as you have placed upon the game as a whole. I may just have to play as a gun crew all the time, instead of being an update player Ive become, and only if worthy to even play the update, after reading about the update.

CSA Major

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by calmmyst View Post
    Im just curious as to what Penalty Playing will be imposed upon gun crews lol, as you have placed upon the game as a whole. I may just have to play as a gun crew all the time, instead of being an update player Ive become, and only if worthy to even play the update, after reading about the update.
    Always negativity with you Calmmyst, maybe just look past that for now and not worry about the little things until it actually comes out. It's all speculation right now what it will look like and just look on the bright side of things life is better that way overall.
    Napoleon Total War American Civil War Multiplayer Mod Discord Community - https://discord.gg/J3xJ4DU

TUNNELLS ARE USELESS....so why bother anyway - Henry Wirz (Andersonville film quote)

Quote Originally Posted by calmmyst View Post
    They already stated in a previous update that artillery will be rolling out with friendly fire turned off... When it is turned on eventually they described a system of restricting gunners from temporarily playing as artillery class if they rack up too much team damage.