Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A couple Sunday ranting points

Improve stability client and net-code

CSA Captain

Melee has to be a high priority. Put some skill into combat, allow a smaller force to engage a larger force in a charge, and people will stick around.
    Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in!

I think that adding artillery will necessitate changes to infantry gameplay that cannot be determined until artillery is implemented. Get artillery functioning on skirmishes with the counter-attack system in place and then make infantry gameplay changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Vankovski View Post
    I think that adding artillery will necessitate changes to infantry gameplay that cannot be determined until artillery is implemented. Get artillery functioning on skirmishes with the counter-attack system in place and then make infantry gameplay changes.
    The two features you list are our current top priorities.

- Trusty

USA General of the Army

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    The two features you list are our current top priorities.

- Trusty
    Then melee. A good melee system that rewards skill over luck will change so much.

Melee's a tricky one imho. You don't want it turning it into a feintspam based, easily abused clusterf*ck like a certain low fantasy game with a Napoleonic Wars DLC, but then again you don't want it to turn into something that requires virtually no input apart from press button to parry. My question for the devs is, do you guys have a very basic outline of which direction you want melee to go in? Set aside current limitations: what sort of melee system would you guys endeavour for?
    Last edited by goldnelius; 10-30-2019 at 02:33 PM.

USA General of the Army

I mean, simply direct backed attack and block would be nice over a massively complex system.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravescot View Post
    Then melee. A good melee system that rewards skill over luck will change so much.
    Nah - one that rewards teamwork. Everything else is geared towards working together, not solo skill.

We agree that melee is in need of more features/polish which is also why it's part of our released development roadmap.

We're not massively into implementing a static blocking system (good luck trying to block a bayonet thrust with the width of a musket) - even though it is probably one of the more simple solutions.

To us, the ideal thing would be a timing based parry move - this is probably going to be super tricky however due to both the player interpolation as well as latency.

- Trusty

USA Captain

Break out GC's copy of McClellan's Bayonet Exercise