Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Passwords

CSA Captain

Passwords

Why is some of these servers asking for passwords. Logic is to keep undesirables out but its not gonna happen regardless , while at same time keeping ppl from joining them

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Goad View Post
    Why is some of these servers asking for passwords. Logic is to keep undesirables out but its not gonna happen regardless , while at same time keeping ppl from joining them
    agreed, this would be a return game for a new player looking at this
    Napoleon Total War American Civil War Multiplayer Mod Discord Community - https://discord.gg/J3xJ4DU

TUNNELLS ARE USELESS....so why bother anyway - Henry Wirz (Andersonville film quote)

Quote Originally Posted by Goad View Post
    Certain pre-scheduled events are password locked to prevent people from joining them and upsetting the event. The easiest way to join those events is contact the server owners prior to the event if you are in a unit so that you can be involved in map selection and understand the rules.

If you are not in an organized unit; the easiest way to attend is join one of the organized units that participate in the events. A quick check of the CSA/Union Associations section of the forums and most of those units list the dates and times of their events to help you in your decision of what unit to join.

So the answer to any new player is "Join an organized unit and attend meetings or don't play the game".. A true game killer. It makes no sense to password these events which should have an admin present to simply BAN anyone "upsetting the event" as you say. In game I've fallen in with numerous units and made friends while irl i OWN a a 24 pdr siege mortar and learned to "Load by the nines" when i was 13 .. lol.. Anyway It's just a cryin' shame that with two SEMI-loaded servers, neither of which are even 70% maxed out, 40 MISERABLE players are currently banned from participation for not kissing someones butt, dedicating themselves to participate with only one unit or knowing which hoops to jump through in order to get a password. If it continues don't be surprised when those hosting these passworded events are responsible for killing off a wonderful game before it even gets out of alpha. My apologies if my opinion offends but that's how I see it and what the newer players and those being denied access are saying. Plenty of oyther games they could play on a Saturday night. ~js

USA General of the Army

Quote Originally Posted by Noble View Post
    So the answer to any new player is "Join an organized unit and attend meetings or don't play the game".. A true game killer.
    No, those servers are hosted by units that are paying almost $150/month to host events. We have several groups than can fill up a server on their own, so the servers get passworded to make sure their guys, who are also contributing towards the hosting fee, are able to get on and play. There are usually open servers that are populated during event times, most people get on between 4-10pm EST. The servers are fairly empty during the day.

CSA Major

1st Georgia always keeps it's server open to the public unless scheduled event of course or we're in another reg's server so I can understand where their coming from. However if there's not enough regimental players in a event to fill our server then we like to open it up to the public, I think there should be the one public server open at all times weather that be 20 players or 100. Either that or regiments will miss out on new players playing the game and they will simply be turned off because they have to build a empty server from 0 players. I'm a regiment man but also understand the need to be inclusive to all for the sake of the community growth, I mean those public players after playing a while may want to join a regiment to get the benefits of the highly competitive style of game play at events.

P.S. Granted the screenshot I posted is rare for a weekend,1st corps server opened up right away to the public after their event 30 mins after I posted but if you want to ensure you don't get booted @Noble then the public players need to start populating on one of the 7 official war of rights servers so to ensure that doesn't happen, I feel your frustration though- just know that.
    Last edited by Warboy; 11-16-2019 at 10:38 PM.
    Napoleon Total War American Civil War Multiplayer Mod Discord Community - https://discord.gg/J3xJ4DU

TUNNELLS ARE USELESS....so why bother anyway - Henry Wirz (Andersonville film quote)

USA General of the Army

Sorry, it's $110/month now, not $150.

So the answer to any new player is "Join an organized unit and attend meetings or don't play the game".. A true game killer. It makes no sense to password these events which should have an admin present to simply BAN anyone "upsetting the event" as you say. In game I've fallen in with numerous units and made friends while irl i OWN a a 24 pdr siege mortar and learned to "Load by the nines" when i was 13 .. lol.. Anyway It's just a cryin' shame that with two SEMI-loaded servers, neither of which are even 70% maxed out, 40 MISERABLE players are currently banned from participation for not kissing someones butt, dedicating themselves to participate with only one unit or knowing which hoops to jump through in order to get a password. If it continues don't be surprised when those hosting these passworded events are responsible for killing off a wonderful game before it even gets out of alpha. My apologies if my opinion offends but that's how I see it and what the newer players and those being denied access are saying. Plenty of oyther games they could play on a Saturday night. ~js
    There are plenty of groups where no hind kissing, nor weekly attendance are obligatory. With that said I understand the frustration - My suggestion would be to form a forum, or steam group for public players, where you can organise battlehours. I highly doubt this game will ever be a game where you can jump in at any hour of the day and find a well populated server. So I allso doubt that even public players are going to get around organising themselve to some degree.

I personally like 1st Georgia and other groups approach, with Locked severs for Reg. Events and then immediately opended up when event is over. Welcoming in new players. Afterall, as Oleander points out the members of those groups pay and maintain those servers. So it should not be frowned upon wanting to use set servers for the kind of gameplay that Reg. groups enjoy

Always liked such unique. Organizers spend money on the maintenance of servers. They plan events. And people like you think that others are obliged you on the fact of birth. Pubbies destroy the entire integrity and structure of events this is fact. Where do you come from such insolent?

In order to hold these events, resources were spent on organizing companies, establishing communication, setting a convenient time for the game. Not to mention the regular spending of money on the server. For those who just want to play there are open server War of Rights.

Sincerely, your Suwarow
    Last edited by SUWAROW; 11-16-2019 at 11:33 PM.

I'd much like to do more events with my server, Old Pennsylvania, which is the only non-clan server and specifically exists for events. Unfortunately it's going to be a bitch and that's why I haven't gotten around to it yet. Even so I'd prefer the game were designed to function without necessitating events to be enjoyable in the first place. This would only help the functional of events. People are using events to get to a baseline of acceptable gameplay. Regular gameplayer is a clusterfuck. New and unwashed players are a minor part of the problem.

Servers really need to be locked for events so you can control things unless there were special controls for introducing players into a server which is hosting event where they have to accept rules and a team leader or admin is notified they entered the match after it started or some such. None of that exists though so you can't have random players wandering into a server.

There's no provision for displaying rules to a player. There's no screen for rules or anything like that from the admin. The only means you have is changing the server name and by direct contact with players on the battlefield. It's kind of hard to hold players accountable, even in a locked server, when you can't even get the word out effectively.

Current [Server] announcements are not adequate in any way. Preferably there would be a way to put "all talk" on and mute all the other players or some sort of "God voice" feature. That always worked best for me since all chat announcements can be ignored. Unfortunately this game has no plugins or mods to allow much of anything.

Without a trusted and competent cohort of players positioned in the spawns to initiate the beginning of events, it's impossible. Whereas I could normally disseminate rules and maintain order myself with the proper tools with any additional present admins being a bonus. Nevertheless I have a plan but it's going to require doing things the hard way and I'm a little busy.

Steam groups have also been totally neutered to disallow inviting non-friends as well as basically hidden from easy access. This totally crippled my normal means of networking with players who play on my servers. I'd have 3,000 willing members by now but I only have 100 and Steam as a means of networking is now essentially useless beyond your immediate friend list.

This game absolutely has to have changes which help gameplay or else most of its potential will wither away. If the game is supposed to be designed around events, design it for events. Otherwise let's not pretend that public gameplay is still very enjoyable after the honeymoon wears off. It seldom is.
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 11-17-2019 at 03:52 AM.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n