Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Passwords

Quote Originally Posted by Poorlaggedman View Post
    I'd much like to do more events with my server, Old Pennsylvania, which is the only non-clan server and specifically exists for events. Unfortunately it's going to be a bitch and that's why I haven't gotten around to it yet. Even so I'd prefer the game were designed to function without necessitating events to be enjoyable in the first place. This would only help the functional of events. People are using events to get to a baseline of acceptable gameplay. Regular gameplayer is a clusterfuck. New and unwashed players are a minor part of the problem.

Servers really need to be locked for events so you can control things unless there were special controls for introducing players into a server which is hosting event where they have to accept rules and a team leader or admin is notified they entered the match after it started or some such. None of that exists though so you can't have random players wandering into a server.

There's no provision for displaying rules to a player. There's no screen for rules or anything like that from the admin. The only means you have is changing the server name and by direct contact with players on the battlefield. It's kind of hard to hold players accountable, even in a locked server, when you can't even get the word out effectively.

Current [Server] announcements are not adequate in any way. Preferably there would be a way to put "all talk" on and mute all the other players or some sort of "God voice" feature. That always worked best for me since all chat announcements can be ignored. Unfortunately this game has no plugins or mods to allow much of anything.

Without a trusted and competent cohort of players positioned in the spawns to initiate the beginning of events, it's impossible. Whereas I could normally disseminate rules and maintain order myself with the proper tools with any additional present admins being a bonus. Nevertheless I have a plan but it's going to require doing things the hard way and I'm a little busy.

Steam groups have also been totally neutered to disallow inviting non-friends as well as basically hidden from easy access. This totally crippled my normal means of networking with players who play on my servers. I'd have 3,000 willing members by now but I only have 100 and Steam as a means of networking is now essentially useless beyond your immediate friend list.

This game absolutely has to have changes which help gameplay or else most of its potential will wither away. If the game is supposed to be designed around events, design it for events. Otherwise let's not pretend that public gameplay is still very enjoyable after the honeymoon wears off. It seldom is.
    We have hosted hundreds of events and all attending units and players know the rules, the maps, and what is expected of them. Not one time have we had to have ppl positioned in spawns doing that. All of that is coordinated before events by officers and then they inform their players prior to start.

Focus needs to be on content and performance optimizations not on slowing down the servers with the scripting that you are suggesting... People don't need to plan on the servers that is what the forums and discords/teamspeam are being used for; very successfully I might add...

Quote Originally Posted by SUWAROW View Post
    Always liked such unique. Organizers spend money on the maintenance of servers. They plan events. And people like you think that others are obliged you on the fact of birth. Pubbies destroy the entire integrity and structure of events this is fact. Where do you come from such insolent?

In order to hold these events, resources were spent on organizing companies, establishing communication, setting a convenient time for the game. Not to mention the regular spending of money on the server. For those who just want to play there are open server War of Rights.

Sincerely, your Suwarow
    Sirs,

The fact that this ALL has a learning curve and I simply questioned the need for and existence of Pass-worded prime time events which excluded those learning and purchasing the game does not, in my humble opinion, make me either "insolent" or someone who feels entitled by "right of birth". Contrarily it's "people like you" that mindlessly attack someone before knowing anything about them, rather than befriending, educating and sharing your experience with them, that DESTROY burgeoning player bases for new games. For the rest of those responding THANK YOU for enlightening me as to the cost of maintaining these servers (the last few I leased to help grow player bases were only about half that when paying annually.. i had no idea it's $1080.40 per annum now). In retrospect it does make sense when specific events have rules that vary or eliminate the standard game objectives, that one would want to assure all participants read and agreed to parameters prior to login.

This said I still can't fathom how "pubbies", which i assume is ALSO some insulting or demeaning term members who've purchased the game but not yet joined a company, might "destroy the entire integrity and structure of events" so swiftly that mild correction or even banning if disobedient to admin could not happen first. Again that's just the opinion of my "kind of people".. you know .. the kind of people who have, since 1983, risked their lives daily for complete strangers, own their own 19th century firearms AND guns ( i.e.- field artillery and will be building a mid-18th bronze 4 or 6 pdr), will certainly assist in supporting if not outright paying for the right server/unit and don't act like some elitist prick talking down to those I don't know. I suppose I'm just a "pubbie" who started reenacting as a powder monkey in 1981 and has fought on reenactment battlefields using Napoleonic tactics from the French-Indian Wars, War of Jenkins Ear, American Revolution as - mounted and dismounted cav, infantry, artillery, medical corps and yes.. even Co E CSMC "Savannah Station" and has done extra work and gotten stunt pay in 5+ major productions. Hopefully we can start over Suwarow on a warmer, more civil and less insulting tone and actually end up friends but it wouldn't be the first olive branch pushed aside if not.

Yours,

Noble
    Last edited by Noble; 11-17-2019 at 03:21 PM.

USA General of the Army

Mr. Nobel it should be mentioned that English is not SUWAROW’s first language and as a result how to came off might not be how it was intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Noble View Post
    Sirs,

The fact that this ALL has a learning curve and I simply questioned the need for and existence of Pass-worded prime time events which excluded those learning and purchasing the game does not, in my humble opinion, make me either "insolent" or someone who feels entitled by "right of birth". Contrarily it's "people like you" that mindlessly attack someone before knowing anything about them, rather than befriending, educating and sharing your experience with them, that DESTROY burgeoning player bases for new games. For the rest of those responding THANK YOU for enlightening me as to the cost of maintaining these servers (the last few I leased to help grow player bases were only about half that when paying annually.. i had no idea it's $1080.40 per annum now). In retrospect it does make sense when specific events have rules that vary or eliminate the standard game objectives, that one would want to assure all participants read and agreed to parameters prior to login.

This said I still can't fathom how "pubbies", which i assume is ALSO some insulting or demeaning term members who've purchased the game but not yet joined a company, might "destroy the entire integrity and structure of events" so swiftly that mild correction or even banning if disobedient to admin could not happen first. Again that's just the opinion of my "kind of people".. you know .. the kind of people who have, since 1983, risked their lives daily for complete strangers, own their own 19th century firearms AND guns ( i.e.- field artillery and will be building a mid-18th bronze 4 or 6 pdr), will certainly assist in supporting if not outright paying for the right server/unit and don't act like some elitist prick talking down to those I don't know. I suppose I'm just a "pubbie" who started reenacting as a powder monkey in 1981 and has fought on reenactment battlefields using Napoleonic tactics from the French-Indian Wars, War of Jenkins Ear, American Revolution as - mounted and dismounted cav, infantry, artillery, medical corps and yes.. even Co E CSMC "Savannah Station" and has done extra work and gotten stunt pay in 5+ major productions. Hopefully we can start over Suwarow on a warmer, more civil and less insulting tone and actually end up friends but it wouldn't be the first olive branch pushed aside if not.

Yours,

Noble
    Your manner of speech itself caused such a sharp reaction, if you want a more respectful attitude to yourself, then strangers should also be addressed accordingly. I play this game for almost a year and literally fighting for passwords for myself found out one thing. No level of administration will not get rid of trolls and other unscrupulous players. Their goal is to destroy and shit. People who want to have fun without following the rules or being part of a unit create their opposition. Because there are requirements, plans and coherence of work. The admin panel worked horribly. Now in principle, it is of little use since your actions might spoil the fun of the game. Maybe I'm not the most loyal fan, like the gentlemen of the old regiments who play 4 years. However, I think that they will agree with me that it is more interesting to play at planned private events than to get a bullet from your friend for nothing. The pleasure of insulting or killing officers because the crowd disagreed with him is no.

And so those who advocate the abolition of passwords in favor of increasing online on open servers will not get anything. They will just stop playing and creating Prime time online. Regiments now arrange regular events of an open type for the purpose of recruiting or just a fan. Going to open servers and playing with pubbies.

Personally for me, as and for many other regimental players interesting competitive character between regiments. It gives an atmosphere and some customs. Puts the team. For individualists this not understand.

Sincerely, SUWAROW

Quote Originally Posted by Bravescot View Post
    Mr. Nobel it should be mentioned that English is not SUWAROW’s first language and as a result how to came off might not be how it was intended.
    Thank you for your explanation to my opponent. I hope that I was mistaken in the perception of the previous message and my reaction is clearly overstated and too aggressive for the sake of simplicity.

Nice to meet you Suwarow! My sincere apologies if my manner of speech caused anyone to think i was at all trying to insult or offend anyone.. On the contrary I'm here to make friends and learn the game mechanics. As for the mechanics of Napoleonic warfare and 19th century arms and equipment, as i said, i'm an old hand and own everything from a LeMat & Enfield to a 24pdr Seige Mortar and have fired much bigger irl.. BUT Like you I come to this community late compared to those who discovered it earlier than we did and have supported it. I certainly understand the need for passwords now to keep phaquetards, twatwaffles and sausage wallets from running about, as you say, to "troll" and "shit" on things! Thank You for both your response and explanation.. and thank you Bravescot for also pointing out the language barrier. I WISH i were smart enough to be as capable at Russian as Suwarow is at English.. and anything written or typed / texted is very easy to "take wrong" and misinterpret intent. It's an honor and privilege to be among you.

USA Brigadier General

password servers are needed for events with fixed rules. most of our battles as the TGV are fought with Line Infantry tactics, Ingame VOIP only and some other rules. To make the server public can make it hard sometimes. From time to time we do it but after we got called "Nazis, Nigger Lovers, Mother Fuckers, Sieg Heil, Gas them" and other bullshit. Sometimes we cant keep up with banning. It's often frustrating for our members who expect a historic like battle and a adult behaviour.
    So we set a password again and invite Units which make sure that their members have a good behaviour because it makes more fun to us and since we pay over 80€ per month for a server, we have the right to use it how we want but I see your point.

But in the end even campfire games advertise WoR as a Clan based game (from the website):

Community focus
    A strong company (player organized clans) focus with a dedicated company tool and forum sections devoted to in-game event creation.
    http://www.warofrightsforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=522&dateline=14500460  02

Thank You Suh.. I understand and it makes perfect sense now. Til' i ahm adopted ahl regret missin' out but shall be along d'rectleh!
    "Recruits.. Attention!! Advance to the firing line! Load by the NINE times... LOAD! Handle Cartridge! Tear Cartridge! Charge Cartridge! Draw Rammer! Ram Cartridge! Return Rammer! ... Prime!.. Fire by file from the right.. Commence.. ... .. ... FIRING!.... Independent Firing.. Commence!" ~Hardee's Rifle and Light Infantry Tactics- 1855

The dirty little secret is that a sizeable portion of these 'clanner' head honchos don't want a community (and can't imagine one) that can operate without them beyond recruiting purposes.

And you know what? It can't right now to any degree which would result in more than occasional stray full servers during 'non-event' hours. That's mainly testament to a flawed development road map which has yet to develop cohesive infantry gameplay (ALPHA!!1111), not to the clans themselves for increasingly retreating into locked servers, which was always going to happen whether the public play worked well or not. Which is why public gameplay must work well. Let me remind you to stop and think and make sure before you come back and claim I'm talking crazy (and that you're all for public gameplay) that you haven't literally dropped gem examples all over this forum basically railing against public gameplay and pubbers as a concept worth investment at all. Do you see how the two viewpoints have trouble existing at the same time?

I have not yet begun to fight and if you think I've made you angry thus far I suggest you save your next best flusters for the future when my gloves come off. The largest tantrum in the history of the forum was waged to get passworded servers and now some random players (no doubt harmed by this situation) want something to say and the response is getting pretty redundant to any and all outsiders. Is it that self-evident that there is real damage being done with event-only mindsets that you feel the need to defend passwords or is this just for sport? We get it. You love pubbers because you can recruit them but otherwise you hate them. Go back in your sever and stop whining for a say in matters which do not concern you, like the gameplay which you circumnavigate by locking your server. I wouldn't have it any different. shakehead.gif
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 11-18-2019 at 02:21 AM.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

USA General of the Army

Have at it, we all know you're never going to quit beating your drums.