Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Auto Balance and the impact on player organized Events

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

CSA Captain

Auto Balance and the impact on player organized Events

Good afternoon, everyone.

I'd like to point out a topic that has been bothering me and other players I deal with regularly for quite some time. What I want to point out is the problematic mechanics of the "Auto Balance". I have been organizing a regular Friday event for quite some time now and have noticed that this mechanic is almost impossible to control and often a painful factor for everyone who is affected by it.

With some examples I would like to explain which problems have been noticed so far:

1. Officers and non-commissioned officers get kicked out of their teams during battle, destroying the chain of command that is vital to a unit.
    2. Entire units must split, because balancing does not allow them to join the same faction.
    3. Individual players are not able to participate in the events of their unit, because there is a three man difference between the teams.

These points, even though they don't seem serious in themselves, affect the morale of many players and companies I've dealt with so far. There's nothing that destroys a player's enjoyment of the game more than the realization that he has to wait a full round (45 minutes!) to join his team, and at worst, missed the whole event.

So, what am I suggesting?

Auto Balance is a useful mechanic for matches that are not organized in a larger scale. In my event, for example, each unit has to register with a fixed number of players so that the teams can be put together before the event. In this case, the organizers of the event ensure the balance of the teams and have no need for an automatic mechanism, which often destroys the existing plans for an event.

So is it possible or even wished that Auto Balancing can be deactivated for events organized by players? Possibly with an extended admin tool with which you could also influence "Endgame Events" or "Cap points"? With such tools it would be possible to increase the fun and the quality of events, and at the same time, it would be possible to design them individually according to the wishes of each unit.

Thank you for reading my post. I hope and look forward for feedback.
    Captain Walter, Leopold, Lothar von-Winkler

yes please!
    siiiiiip, yup.

Quote Originally Posted by von-Winkler View Post
    Good afternoon, everyone.

I'd like to point out a topic that has been bothering me and other players I deal with regularly for quite some time. What I want to point out is the problematic mechanics of the "Auto Balance". I have been organizing a regular Friday event for quite some time now and have noticed that this mechanic is almost impossible to control and often a painful factor for everyone who is affected by it.

With some examples I would like to explain which problems have been noticed so far:

1. Officers and non-commissioned officers get kicked out of their teams during battle, destroying the chain of command that is vital to a unit.
    2. Entire units must split, because balancing does not allow them to join the same faction.
    3. Individual players are not able to participate in the events of their unit, because there is a three man difference between the teams.

These points, even though they don't seem serious in themselves, affect the morale of many players and companies I've dealt with so far. There's nothing that destroys a player's enjoyment of the game more than the realization that he has to wait a full round (45 minutes!) to join his team, and at worst, missed the whole event.

So, what am I suggesting?

Auto Balance is a useful mechanic for matches that are not organized in a larger scale. In my event, for example, each unit has to register with a fixed number of players so that the teams can be put together before the event. In this case, the organizers of the event ensure the balance of the teams and have no need for an automatic mechanism, which often destroys the existing plans for an event.

So is it possible or even wished that Auto Balancing can be deactivated for events organized by players? Possibly with an extended admin tool with which you could also influence "Endgame Events" or "Cap points"? With such tools it would be possible to increase the fun and the quality of events, and at the same time, it would be possible to design them individually according to the wishes of each unit.

Thank you for reading my post. I hope and look forward for feedback.
    Completely agree with this. Auto balancing should be able to be toggled off for all the reasons cited above. It's definitely an instant Fun-Killer.

I haven't touched it for a long time but you used to be able to deactivate the auto balance in the server config file. Again it's been a while so it might have changed. Also I believe there is a post outlining how to do it here in the forums under the post of admin controls. I would find d and link for you but it's a real pain to do from my phone

USA General of the Army

I believe there is still a way to do it in game through the console commands as an admin. This only works on private servers.

USA Captain

Have the following command in your permissions file on your server:
    <Command Name="g_teamSizeMaxUserPercentageDifference"/>
    Then simply type in console command "admin.command g_teamSizeMaxUserPercentageDifference [0.0-1.0]" to have the balance change.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by SwingKid148 View Post
    Have the following command in your permissions file on your server:
    <Command Name="g_teamSizeMaxUserPercentageDifference"/>
    Then simply type in console command "admin.command g_teamSizeMaxUserPercentageDifference [0.0-1.0]" to have the balance change.
    Thanks for the Tip. I will try this next weekend.Thanks to the rest as well. Maybe we can handle that stuff more smothly in the future.
    Captain Walter, Leopold, Lothar von-Winkler

Yes this feature is in game; you have to make sure in privilege file that you have the above command listed. Also the in-game admin tool thread describes how to enter the command line for it; I suggest copy and paste and then enter a variable of 4 or 7.

As development progresses I hope it's considered for new features the possibilities of disabling or enabling them on servers, even if the game design isn't supposed to allow it. It might be useful for training purposes or for specific events to be able to alter particular things such as respawn time, role restrictions, limits on cavalry or artillery, etc. I'd also like to keep autobalance at a much higher percentage allowance in general without having to manually do it each time. I also think the maps should occasionally allow for more unbalanced teams but perhaps that gets a little too complicated.

The other problem that server changes brings up is transparency. Any server host could basically start editing the scripts at present in a certain way like upping the team morale value for one team or the other to give one team an advantage. I'm definitely not saying that shouldn't be possible, but it should maybe be a little more transparent. Any player should one day be able to type a command in console and see the starting values to account for any monkey business. I was never a fan of reinforcement counts being visible to the enemy but some number should be visible somewhere at some time at least to their own teams, whether it's just the start of the match or not. That way server hosts aren't at each other's throats over accusations of cheating when both teams start with a rather ambiguous "Battle Ready" with a real number value behind it. Any changes by an admin during a map should be shown to the server.
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 11-26-2019 at 01:30 AM.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

CSA Major General

Another way to balance if all regs are in is to "blank the password" during an event.
    In competative matches however people are reluctant to do so.

I know it's hard to exactly know how many players will show up, since mostly event coordination takes place on forehand.
    Bigger units/orgs might be asked to split up and smaller units asked to play as their opposite faction .. no ideal situations there
    I write for my personal account and from personal experience, unless stated otherwise.