Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unlimited ammo

Quote Originally Posted by STOTS View Post
    You're right Emerson, but you know we are back to discussing the ammo situation in the union camp again. And now what was proposed from day one is all of a sudden an excellent idea. A simple disclaimer on the differences between private and public servers would have sufficed. Very few servers are run vanilla. So what is the point of private servers if they can only be run vanilla by decree of the devs?
    It is important that public (community hosted) servers are as close to the actual design of the game as possible as they tend to be the ones that get populated due to the draw of the company members (seeding the servers).

If they aren’t then there’s no ground for proper alpha testing which means worse feedback quality to us which damages the development of the game.

The point of community run servers is to have control over said server within the limits of the game - not to mod them beyond those and thus break the authenticity and the balance (one could almost say cheat if one is aware of the unlimited ammo setting and others aren't and then spam-fire shots away as a revolver user).

- Trusty

We're deploying a change so the cvar works on the drill camps only - this will be in effect until other ways of restocking at the ranges have been implented.

As this requires a server restart we will wait until tomorrow so as to not interupt tonight's playing.

- Trusty

Quote Originally Posted by O'Rourke View Post
    Thank you for enacting this change, Trusty, but, with sincere respect, perhaps it should not have taken "torches and pitchforks" to affect such a minor change as unlocking a cvar for Drill Camp mode?

Many in the community truly could not think of a major game-breaking downside to having the admin option to enable unlimited ammo on Drill Camps; hence, the frustrations expressed by certain posters in this thread. It makes sense that you wish to maintain authenticity, balance, and uniformity for other game modes, but it is strange to apply the same rigid standards to even the Drill Camp mode.
    We haven't applied the rigid standards though - we will always place game breaking exploits/cvars at a higher priority over having to respawn once in a while while drilling, however.

I stated from the very beginning that we wanted to differ the drill camp settings eventually (and got the go ahead from our programmer to deploy a quick code update to do this much faster than I expected).

I realize people don't want their specific settings touched and yes, in ideal circumstances we would have not changed the drill camp settings, only the skirmishes and picket patrol ones with the first deployment but we valued limiting the damage caused on community run skirmish and picket patrol servers with the cvar enabled as a higher priority and thus pushed out that fix first.

It's basically about eliminating the main game breaking issue first, worry about what lesser possible issues may arise from doing so 2nd (we obviously underestimated how important it is to several community members to not having to respawn every once in a while when drilling).

Had the cvar not been used to make revolver users hugely powerful on certain community driven skirmish servers in the first place we would likely never have limited the use of the cvar.

- Trusty

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    I would advice you to do so if you get upset due to the fact that an alpha is incomplete and will get updated and thus changed, and furthermore is still bringing out the torches and pitchforks even after we have stated that we will create something for the drill camps in specific in order to not let you have to respawn every 30 minutes (this can be done within a few seconds if a flag bearer is present at the drill).

- Trusty
    And my advice to you is: Hire a community manager before you do too much damage to the community that is supporting you. I won't even elaborate on how stupid your flag bearer solution is.
    Cpl. Stephen Carrigan
    2 Platoon, E Company
    9th NY Hawkins Zouaves
    US Army

Volunteer from Berlin, NH

Quote Originally Posted by Occasional Win View Post
    And my advice to you is: Hire a community manager before you do too much damage to the community that is supporting you. I won't even elaborate on how stupid your flag bearer solution is.
    Thanks for your feedback.

The people getting slaughtered by constant pistol fire on the skirmish servers with the cvar enabled required support first this time around.

- Trusty

Quote Originally Posted by STOTS View Post
    You're right Emerson, but you know we are back to discussing the ammo situation in the union camp again. And now what was proposed from day one is all of a sudden an excellent idea. A simple disclaimer on the differences between private and public servers would have sufficed. Very few servers are run vanilla. So what is the point of private servers if they can only be run vanilla by decree of the devs?
    Our server and many others have been running non-stop for months with vanilla settings. We know this game is in a test phase and having altered settings do not help further the development of the game.

What you're basically talking about is a near-game breaking glitch/exploit which was fixed. Thanks for addressing the issue, which I posted about in August. Even though most server hosts had the decency and sanity to not leave it in place during skirmishes, it was still a real experience changer. I need to take a lesson from some folks though to enact changes faster though: Complain ---> Insult ---> Threaten. Seems to work well.

https://youtu.be/1TkkNHijEeY

I like the ability to customize, I wish it was a little simpler one year into private servers, but there's definitely a balance between disabling autobalance and piping broken weapons into gameplay.
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 12-03-2019 at 02:28 AM.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

In a strange turn of events I agree with Poor lagged man. Modding the servers during public play or even in events breaks the game. This game is in alpha and has no mod support. I have read many post in this thread that smeared the devs and seemed like threats. This kinda of talk gets nothing done. I understand that some quality of life changes to drill camp would be nice but you all want 100 things at once. I even hear some of you ask about Cav and random battles like gettysburg. Let the devs drive the bus and play the game and alpha test. It appears the devs are already working to help us all out with the drill camps later down the road. Lets keep it positive and remember their is no WOR with out the devs and campfire games.
    Longstreet's I Corps

5th Texas Infantry CO

CSA Major General

The cvar was primarly used for drillcamp shooting practice, and sadly when An admin switched mode on g-portal and forgot to check the settings ... You had officers and cav causing mayhem.

And usually that got figured out mid event ... And only way of schutting it off is to edit IT and reset server.

So I have to agree with Trusty (probably a precedent) on this case and hope Union drill camp gets a fix.

Ammo boxes would be great (didn't CSA drill camp have Them in An earlier build ?) Would also be great to switch weapons without respawning. Like the pile of muskets would have a use then.

Trusty : people pay (lots in my eyes) to keep a server going, Most games reward hosters with mods, extra's ... It's like saying thx for the support.
    I write for my personal account and from personal experience, unless stated otherwise.

CSA Captain

While I never have and never will use infinite ammo, I think it's important to note that the dev team just took time away from working on artillery and 200 player servers so that someone could get their unlimited ammo revolvers back on one single map.

Under threat, no less.
    Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in!