Thread: Officer Out of Line Timer

Officer Out of Line Timer

I would like to suggest that you revisit the Officer out of line timer. Currently you're just not giving an Officer who starts at spawn enough time to even get back into the fight. On full servers or events it's not usually a problem but when you're on a 25 popped server and you need to run back from main spawn it's impossible depending on the map to make it back. My recommendation is bump it up to 60 seconds instead of 20 seconds. Thank you!

USA Captain

I feel the timer as-is is sufficient. If you are worried about not making back, have a flag bearer.

Quote Originally Posted by SwingKid148 View Post
    I feel the timer as-is is sufficient. If you are worried about not making back, have a flag bearer.
    Having a flag bearer is quite obvious and I think you missed the point here completely. In smaller pub matches where there is either no flag bear or they are down or out of line it is nearly impossible to get back as an Officer. But if you feel that is sufficient good on you. If the game doesn’t give you enough time to physically run back from spawn to your guys it’s a broken feature and I’m sure it causes frustration to others.

Quote Originally Posted by TRaider View Post
    Having a flag bearer is quite obvious and I think you missed the point here completely. In smaller pub matches where there is either no flag bear or they are down or out of line it is nearly impossible to get back as an Officer. But if you feel that is sufficient good on you. If the game doesn’t give you enough time to physically run back from spawn to your guys it’s a broken feature and I’m sure it causes frustration to others.
    Thank you for your feedback.

It's something we'll continue to gather feedback on.

In regards to it being hard/impossible to get back in low populated servers that is actually an intended design of the officer desertion timer.

The smaller a server population the less men there are to lead (which is the primary task of the officer). The smaller a population the more powerful the officer class becomes due to its hugely powerful revolver and so a heavily limited way of moving about (due to the low pop and desertion mechanic) becomes a natural way of limiting the power of the officer as a (due again to the small population) hugely powerful combat role.

Before the desertion timer was in place we would see officers run wild on especially low population servers, wiping out half the enemy team on their own.

I don't see a way of limiting this other than how we are doing it now without locking the officer slot for useage entirely when server population falls below a certain number (which I'm not a fan of) but maybe you have some suggestions in regards to this - if so I'm all ears.

- Trusty

Make a server-side variable where the officer role is locked until a certain percentage of the server is full. I'd set it so it never unlocks and we don't have the problem of the anarchic officer role as we have at present. ja.gif In actuality players are just following a voice the majority of the time anyway. A few seconds of visual confirmation that the voice you're listening to occupies a baseless role is not that important to gameplay in reality. Without it players can manage. With it you're stuck with bozos at least 50%+ of the time.

Rambo officers were a problem but wiping out half the enemy team with six shots is kind of tough. It was more of a problem that the officers were not doing their role in the most extreme way possible. Instead they went on a pleasure cruise through a cornfield and ambushed and killed (if they were lucky) 4-6 enemy before being taken down out of line resulting in a net loss for the team and a void in a perceived need for the pomp of a meaningless officer role with no further requirements or expectations laid out for him to maintain that role in the first place.

I hope the final game supports mods.
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 01-15-2020 at 10:15 PM.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    Thank you for your feedback.

It's something we'll continue to gather feedback on.

In regards to it being hard/impossible to get back in low populated servers that is actually an intended design of the officer desertion timer.

The smaller a server population the less men there are to lead (which is the primary task of the officer). The smaller a population the more powerful the officer class becomes due to its hugely powerful revolver and so a heavily limited way of moving about (due to the low pop and desertion mechanic) becomes a natural way of limiting the power of the officer as a (due again to the small population) hugely powerful combat role.

Before the desertion timer was in place we would see officers run wild on especially low population servers, wiping out half the enemy team on their own.

I don't see a way of limiting this other than how we are doing it now without locking the officer slot for useage entirely when server population falls below a certain number (which I'm not a fan of) but maybe you have some suggestions in regards to this - if so I'm all ears.

- Trusty

Thanks for responding, I’ve been playing the game long enough to remember rambo officers running wild but you can’t assume everyone who grabs an officer role is a Rambo and should be despawned for doing absolutely nothing wrong except for trying to get to his men. The current rule is a hammer where a scalpel is needed IMO. It’s just one more reason why players who crave a game where the developers don’t force the player into a neat little nike shoe box that restricts free and open gameplay are forced to look elsewhere.

Furthermore if you want to force a certain experience on an official server then you should perhaps allow people with their own servers to change all these variables and be denoted as a custom server to make sure people know it’s different from the “official servers”. I can understand wanting the same experience but I hope you can understand your community isn’t one size fits all.

I’ll think on the issue try to come up with some valid solutions.

Thank you!
    Last edited by TRaider; 01-15-2020 at 11:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TRaider View Post
    Thanks for responding, I’ve been playing the game long enough to remember rambo officers running wild but you can’t assume everyone who grabs an officer role is a Rambo and should be despawned for doing absolutely nothing wrong except for trying to get to his men. The current rule is a hammer where a scalpel is needed IMO. It’s just one more reason why players who crave a game where the developers don’t force the player into a neat little nike shoe box that restricts free and open gameplay are forced to look elsewhere.

Furthermore if you want to force a certain experience on an official server then you should perhaps allow people with their own servers to change all these variables and be denoted as a custom server to make sure people know it’s different from the “official servers”. I can understand wanting the same experience but I hope you can understand your community isn’t one size fits all.

Thank you!
    No worries.

Thanks for your additional input.

The thought isn't as much about hammering something home where it isn't needed as it's about making the player partaking in very small matches consider if picking the class intended to lead large amounts of players is indeed the correct choice of action or if he maybe should go with something that enables him to move freely about in when working with small populated servers such as an NCO.

- Trusty

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    No worries.

Thanks for your additional input.

The thought isn't as much about hammering something home where it isn't needed as it's about making the player partaking in very small matches consider if picking the class intended to lead large amounts of players is indeed the correct choice of action or if he maybe should go with something that enables him to move freely about in when working with small populated servers such as an NCO.

- Trusty
    Well I came here knowing I wouldn’t like the response but I’m a glutton for punish I suppose. Here’s to hoping one day you guys decide to change your views on giving server owners the discretion to set options the way they want them on their own over priced private servers. Now to wait for artillery!

Quote Originally Posted by Poorlaggedman View Post
    Make a server-side variable where the officer role is locked until a certain percentage of the server is full. I'd set it so it never unlocks and we don't have the problem of the anarchic officer role as we have at present. ja.gif In actuality players are just following a voice the majority of the time anyway. A few seconds of visual confirmation that the voice you're listening to occupies a baseless role is not that important to gameplay in reality. Without it players can manage. With it you're stuck with bozos at least 50%+ of the time.

Rambo officers were a problem but wiping out half the enemy team with six shots is kind of tough. It was more of a problem that the officers were not doing their role in the most extreme way possible. Instead they went on a pleasure cruise through a cornfield and ambushed and killed (if they were lucky) 4-6 enemy before being taken down out of line resulting in a net loss for the team and a void in a perceived need for the pomp of a meaningless officer role with no further requirements or expectations laid out for him to maintain that role in the first place.

I hope the final game supports mods.
    Here you go again PLM... Yes we all know you have major issues with in-game officer system. But instead of just administrating your privately owned server and kicking these officers who don't measure up to your standards (prob due to the PR problems it would cause you), you want these devs to enable an in-game restriction so you can turn off officer class entirely??? Please stop with your unrestricted warfare against game mechanics. No matter how much you try this game will not be a civil war version of Verdun. Please allow constructive criticism to flow instead of using these discussions to push your agenda.