Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: South Mountain needs more maps to its rotation

CSA Captain

South Mountain needs more maps to its rotation

Crampton's gap still has not been added to the South Mountain map list. I get it being too far away from Turner's/Fox's gaps to be added to the historical mode for South Mountain but I still believe the maps should be added for more flair to the SM rotation. Currently we have 6 in the SM rotation, Harpers Ferry has 10, and Antietam has 18. The majority of Harpers Ferry maps are ahistorical (fighting within the confines of the town) which never even took place during the siege of the river town. At least allow us to have the ability to fight over Crampton's Gap which played a vital role in forcing Lee to regroup around Sharpsburg. Not only that, these maps will include some units from states that arent even in the game yet or in great number, including Maine, New Jersey, and Vermont. When Crampton's gap is added to game, I would suggest having 2 to 4 maps, making the total amount of maps for SM 8-10. Maps could be Torbert's Attack with his New Jersey units against the Virginia cavalry and infantry stationed there. Another suggestion is Slocum's attack with his assorted New England Brigade. If you are looking for unique units to put into the game, I would suggest the 16th New York who wears straw hats, the 95th Pennsylvania who wears zouave jackets, and the 31st New York who wears bright red caps and dark blue jackets.

Last edited by Saris; 01-21-2020 at 07:07 AM.
    Texas Poppin B
    My Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/c/SarisTX

Hear hear. This would be a prefect opportunity to add New Jersey Units to the game, and besides, South mountain really does need more maps
    2nd Lt. Szalai Mihaly, 1st New Jersey, Company A

Yes, it is rather bizarre that fictional maps have been created over actual locations critical to the games current timeline. Just Cramptons Gap alone will include two states that have no content whatsoever (New Jersey, Vermont) and played critical roles in this battle.
    NJ-Brigade-ls_1535-1024x729.jpg

It is especially awkward in the case of New Jersey, which has several active War of Rights communities, but zero available uniforms or even slots.
    Correspondents_1519-1024x745.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Roy View Post
    Yes, it is rather bizarre that fictional maps have been created over actual locations critical to the games current timeline. Just Cramptons Gap alone will
    There weren't any fictional "maps" created, since the entire Harpers Ferry map was built in 1:1 scale on a 4x4kmē map, like Antietam or South Mountain. The map and the town itself is so detailed, that it would be a waste, if you wouldn't be able to fight in the town itself.

Compared to South Mountain, also recreated in 1:1 on a 4x4 kmē map, Cramptons Gap does not fit on the map layout and is outside the map border, since its way down south of the actually map size. For Cramptons Gap, you would need to create a new battlefield itself, which is still an option for the future development
    Last edited by Hinkel; 01-21-2020 at 06:11 PM.

Please add more maps to South Mountain, thank you. Great game!

i just want good maps for south mountain, there is not single one on SM when it starts and i go "oh, i like this one!"

RhettVito
    I mean can't this just be made on a new map? This is something very important to the Maryland campaign.

Just stick it off to the side of the existing map space if it doesn't fit. Nobody is ever going to play these full maps, am I right? There's a reason they were fighting for the gaps and not random spots on South Mountain Range between the gaps. rar.gif
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

Quote Originally Posted by Poorlaggedman View Post
    Just stick it off to the side of the existing map space if it doesn't fit. Nobody is ever going to play these full maps, am I right? There's a reason they were fighting for the gaps and not random spots on South Mountain Range between the gaps. rar.gif
    Yeah, perhaps just stick Cramptons gap off to the side of the other maps without filling in the mountain range. If only at least for additional skirmish maps.
    2nd Lt. Szalai Mihaly, 1st New Jersey, Company A

Agreed. I heard there was cavalry in Cramptons gap so I want this bad