Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Ammunition Resupply

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by rbsmith7 View Post
    I would like to be able to see how many cartridges I have left. An animation of looking into the cartridge box would be nice.
    If caissons for the artillery are getting an interactive feature, then maybe it'd be possible to use some of those technical features for infantry ammunition stores (apparel or boxed), but I've yet to see artillery so I could be way off.

I would really appreciate the starting ammunition amount being shown with the weapon selection options. Then there are no questions asked. Presumably soldiers checked and counted how many they were given apon issue in the civil war.
    Pvt. Kenah

For Southern Secession

CSA Brigadier General

Quote Originally Posted by MK81 View Post
    Presumably soldiers checked and counted how many they were given apon issue in the civil war.
    The capacity of most cartridge boxes was forty cartridges, so this (and sometimes more) was generally issued the night before a planned attack. Pretty much every history I have read of the Battle of Sharpsburg comments on the prevalence of soldiers (even Chaplains) "scrambling among the dead and wounded looking for cartridges." Rather than having ammunition resupply from wagons back at spawn, I think the focus should be on making it possible to recover cartridges and rifles from the field.
    An unprofitable servant of Christ Jesus,
    Chaplain Bradley
    (My Steam) (Pelham's Bty on Company Tool) (Pelham's Bty WoR Thread)

CSA Major

The capacity of most cartridge boxes was forty cartridges, so this (and sometimes more) was generally issued the night before a planned attack. Pretty much every history I have read of the Battle of Sharpsburg comments on the prevalence of soldiers (even Chaplains) "scrambling among the dead and wounded looking for cartridges." Rather than having ammunition resupply from wagons back at spawn, I think the focus should be on making it possible to recover cartridges and rifles from the field.
    Yep, I think given the close proximity of the enemy and little margin for movement in a small skirmish area I'd be inclined to scramble for the nearest available ammunition as well. It makes sense.

I'd like to see as much immersion and realism in the WoRs game as possible. My earlier suggestion was in addition to this and a possible quicker implementation for the CFG folk, but I'd hope to see as many options as possible provided.

In the current skirmish gamemode, quick ammunition pickups are better for gameplay and have a much better fit. When the "Historical Battles" mode is released it could result in different approaches to how gamers play WoRs, and resupply could be needed at a larger scale so ammunition creates may come into their own at that point.

If I'm honest, I don't tend to stay alive too often to run out of ammo anyway.
    Pvt. Kenah

For Southern Secession

CSA Captain

For it to be implemented might be a chore, but immersion-wise this would be grand. Having to send a small formation off to get extra ammo is always a nice dramatic touch, in my opinion.
    Passion prevails!

USA Major

I'm just going to check in and see if any of the devs want to address this issue. I'm so tired of having to F9 die I can't tell you how much this is ruining my immersion in this game. Week after week my guys fight hard and fight well and have to be penalized along with our team because we can't put a basic thing like resupplying ammo into this game. Can a dev please address this here?

Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    I'm just going to check in and see if any of the devs want to address this issue. I'm so tired of having to F9 die I can't tell you how much this is ruining my immersion in this game. Week after week my guys fight hard and fight well and have to be penalized along with our team because we can't put a basic thing like resupplying ammo into this game. Can a dev please address this here?
    Thank you for the feedback.

It’s not a priority at the minute but something we’ll consider for the future. I would suggest you to conserve your ammo if you happen to run out often and having to respawn annoys you - it’s not a proper fix but at least it’s something. I have seen regiments output huge amounts of fire throughout matches and as ammunition is not unlimited it is for the officers/people in charge to make sure that it’s not all burnt through.

We’re hesitant to implement an ammo pick up feature as we don’t want to encourage players running left right and center as individuals away from the line in order to pick up stuff as that is a possible direct counter to unit cohesion and a possible risk factor in terms of reducing the ability to listen to commands (more time away from the line, more stuff unheard, less easy to perform as a team).

- Trusty

USA Brigadier General

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    Thank you for the feedback.

We’re hesitant to implement an ammo pick up feature as we don’t want to encourage players running left right and center as individuals away from the line in order to pick up stuff as that is a possible direct counter to unit cohesion and a possible risk factor in terms of reducing the ability to listen to commands (more time away from the line, more stuff unheard, less easy to perform as a team).

- Trusty
    Well, at least they would have a reason to leave the line and maybe they will join the line again since they were so long part of the unit until there ammo run out. I think the chances are pretty high that they will join again.

I cant see where this system would lead to more rambos as we have right now.

Quote Originally Posted by O'Rourke View Post
    One possible solution:

Place ammo boxes near spawn points on maps. (It would be the same "ammo box" object model that is already used in the Drill Camps).

Players who die can respawn, detour to the ammo box, grab extra ammo from the box by pressing "E," and then bring the extra ammo to their comrades at the front line. They can share the ammo by press "E" on a player. No need for any new animations, models, or sounds.

This should address the concerns about players breaking formations at the front line. Instead, they just wait for reinforcements to bring ammo.
    or consider this solution which sounds also great.

as an officer you would have to keep track of your ammo and could send one or two guys back to get resupply for the rest of the line. I like the idea.
    http://www.warofrightsforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=522&dateline=14500460  02

CSA Brigadier General

Wouldn't most of the dropped ammunition be reliably found where the lines are, and not scattered wherever?
    An unprofitable servant of Christ Jesus,
    Chaplain Bradley
    (My Steam) (Pelham's Bty on Company Tool) (Pelham's Bty WoR Thread)

CSA Major

Wouldn't most of the dropped ammunition be reliably found where the lines are, and not scattered wherever?
    Yes.
    I was under the impression that most folk who run out of ammunition, also tend to leave lines and groups to find a quick death.

Quote Originally Posted by O'Rourke View Post
    One possible solution:

Place ammo boxes near spawn points on maps. (It would be the same "ammo box" object model that is already used in the Drill Camps).

Players who die can respawn, detour to the ammo box, grab extra ammo from the box by pressing "E," and then bring the extra ammo to their comrades at the front line. They can share the ammo by press "E" on a player. No need for any new animations, models, or sounds.

This should address the concerns about players breaking formations at the front line. Instead, they just wait for reinforcements to bring ammo.
    Absolutely! I agree 100% that this would be a decent way of solving this issue. The "German Volunteers" suggested something along this line way back in a community post. I hope that something along this line is implemented soon as it would give some much-needed flexibility into lengthy long-range engagements which were quite frequent during the US Civil War.