Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ammunition Resupply

USA Major

Ammunition Resupply

As we know in the Civil War, when ammunition was exhausted regiments would fall back and resupply or loot the dead and wounded for rounds. They did this by finding supply wagons. War of Rights needs this mechanic.

Just last night alone, no less than half our 12 guys ran out of ammunition at one point or another and had to either 1) wait for a bayonet charge, 2) scout and not shoot at all or 3) run to a Union line across the battlefield and F9 die costing our team valuable tickets. More than once our guys had to leave good cover and were dropped while running to get to a Union line trying to F9 die in line thereby costing our team an out of line ticket. It's a somewhat ridiculous decision to have to make as a commander as to what your guys should do in that case and an immersion killer. Surely having an ammunition resupply closer back near spawn can be easily implemented. A guy runs up to a wagon and it resupplies his cartridge box with a fresh set of rounds.

That is more inline with the commitment to authenticity by the devs and last night was not an isolated case. My guys are having to do this week after week and I can only assume that other regiments are running into the same issue.
    Last edited by Shiloh; 02-01-2020 at 06:39 PM.

CSA Captain

Yes
    Texas Poppin B
    My Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/c/SarisTX

Totally agree!

USA Captain

As one of the guys who ran out, it was frustrating. I was having a lot of success, had a good number of kills and then....empty. hitting F9 is something I really try to avoid, so I had to move from my location with my company. We are skirmishers, so I had to move to join a line and wait for the bayonet charge and die valiantly in line. It just seems really stupid to have running out of ammo be a death sentence. Especially when that is not what would have happened then and also when it seems like such a simple fix. run back to spawn to refill the cartridge box. Or go stand over a dead body and hit F to rummage through their cartridge box. In a tight game when ticket counts are vital, having to suicide or just hide until it's over is not acceptable.
    Descendant of David Jewell - 1st Maine Heavy Artillery, Philo Johnson - 11th Vermont/1st VTHA

Quote Originally Posted by Cairnsy44 View Post
    As one of the guys who ran out, it was frustrating. I was having a lot of success, had a good number of kills and then....empty. hitting F9 is something I really try to avoid, so I had to move from my location with my company. We are skirmishers, so I had to move to join a line and wait for the bayonet charge and die valiantly in line. It just seems really stupid to have running out of ammo be a death sentence. Especially when that is not what would have happened then and also when it seems like such a simple fix. run back to spawn to refill the cartridge box. Or go stand over a dead body and hit F to rummage through their cartridge box. In a tight game when ticket counts are vital, having to suicide or just hide until it's over is not acceptable.
    Yep, I agree - except the taking ammunition from the dead bodies. Cause there'll be a big problem with a "bullet taking" animation when a lot of dead comrades is close to each other. More rational is to have a cartridge box at the spawn as you said.
    And I know it's just an idea, but it could be awesome to have a "check ammunition animation" if you know what I mean. You're fighting for a while, you don't know how many bullet you still have, press some key and your character will open the ammunition bag and you could see how many (approximately) bullets you have. No numbers on the screen, just your guess.

CSA Major

Just wondering, with all of the resupply wagons and the occaional supply create (in camps) could these be potentially interactive for such a purpose rather than just scenic and defensive objects?

Maybe some crates only hold certain ammunition and you have to rummage around to find the correct box, on a wagon there may be a limited small of each ammo type supplied at the start of the map and this is wiped after a certain amount of uses.

I could see this as a nice option but am uncertain on how to implement it for gameplay practicality.

On the above, a side note. No pistol ammo availability please, for obvious reasons experianced in the development phases of the past.

If you're living that long to be running out of ammo in the first place, several questions of company tactics or personal effectiveness on the battlefield spring to mind.
    Last edited by MK81; 02-04-2020 at 01:07 PM.
    Pvt. Kenah

For Southern Secession

USA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by MK81 View Post
    If you're living that long to be running out of ammo in the first place, several questions of company tactics or personal effectiveness on the battlefield spring to mind.
    Funny you should say that, not to derail the thread, but we were able to pull the results for that fight before the ability to do so was patched out. Our kills were very good. On par with others who were playing alongside us that night. The map was Dunker Church and we found some cover and used it well.
    Descendant of David Jewell - 1st Maine Heavy Artillery, Philo Johnson - 11th Vermont/1st VTHA

CSA Captain

Yes, good idea!
    Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in!