Thread: Info on impact of graphics settings in performance

Info on impact of graphics settings in performance

I don't think this small suggestion deserves a thread, but I haven't found any compilation where it would fit.

So I'm just proposing a tooltip informing the player about the aproximate impact of each graphics setting in performance (like high, medium and low). It might seem insignificant, but often I see people on reddit asking how to improve their low framerates, and while sometimes it might be a drivers or hardware issue, it would be useful to us players to know at a glance a quick way to tweak our settings to gain a few fps when we don't have a top of the line pc. It'd be quicker and easier than having to test their effects one by one, and more efficient than just lower all settings.

Cheers.

We need this

There is a solution to this in game. Run the benchmark in settings

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Drax View Post
    Or, there can just be a tip so you don't have to benchmark all the time.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by McMuffin View Post
    Or, there can just be a tip so you don't have to benchmark all the time.
    The effort for this is pretty high, so having a benchmark is actually more than sufficient. If you need more info while in-game, there are some tools around providing this...like GeForce Experience from nvidia
    " ...it appears the Virginia Military Institute will be heard from today."

With virtue as our beacon. Our cause is charged as treason, Battle worn and starving. Through the hell of war we'll keep marching. The birth of our new nation
    - Iced Earth

Good idea.
    A tooltip is way easier to implement compared to a benchmark as the devs know exactly how each setting impacts game performance: They could literally classify each setting in a 'low to high' impact scale in a few minutes and add those in a tooltip.
    Having that information at a glance would be invaluable for the user and would take low amount of time to implement.

USA Brigadier General

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Drax View Post
    way to complicated ^^

irony off

presets for the grafic are most of the time not perfect for a system just my experience so far. in the end you have to edit some options by yourself and run the benchmark. so it is atm just a waste of dev time in my mind.
    Last edited by Maximus Decimus Meridius; 07-06-2020 at 10:14 AM.
    http://www.warofrightsforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=522&dateline=14500460  02

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfly View Post
    The effort for this is pretty high, so having a benchmark is actually more than sufficient. If you need more info while in-game, there are some tools around providing this...like GeForce Experience from nvidia
    So adding a simple tooltip requires a "pretty high" effort, it's much better for players to tweak one setting, accept and benchmark; tweak another setting, accept and benchmark; tweak yet another setting, accept and benchmark, etc.

... Ok I guess?