Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A server should show a message when somebody is kicked.

Quote Originally Posted by Saris View Post
    It should be publicly known that people are being kicked from the server. But overall the admin system should be overhauled and the people on the server should know what the admins are doing. This will keep the admins honest.
    It's extremely important to have the right level of transparency. In my opinion there should be an entirely separate server log for admin commands being executed, at what time, and by whom they're executed (steamid-wise). That's for administrative oversight making sure your guys aren't switching the time of day stupidly mid-round or ending the round over and over and over. Both of of which I've already encountered on numerous servers by admins. Or for just telling the time things happened easily to make it easier to investigate. The full server logs are much more of a pain to search through.

Those kind of commands don't need to declare to the whole server that the player who is the admin executing them but it should say that the Admin executed them. To anyone who is an admin they should get a secondary message or a modified message in their feed that states the admin who executed that specific command. That's to oversee in real time.

Basically a guy entrusted with admin could just start clandestinely emptying out a server kicking everyone out and they wouldn't even know they were kicked right now and nobody would even know it's going on.

This may sound like a "Well, that's your problem" thing but I've spent many a years running servers and going through admins and I've had multiple ones go rogue on me and it can be hard to detect and prevent. It's usually a case of someone who's had a life change or gaming interest change to where they don't think they care about this game. So they're trying to flex their e-nuts to passers by or are just going full scorched earth mode for the lols. It's better not to have to be paranoid and to just have the easy references when someone tells you "hey, someone was abusing admin today" or another admin being able to see exactly who in real time. Since a non-admin can't do anything about admin abuse, I think it makes more sense that the identity of the admin should always be concealed to the public as far as executing commands go. Any complaints about admin activity should be directed at the server and leave possible the opportunity to examine just what happened, even if no other admins were there to do so at the time.

Transparency would allow more people to be entrusted with admin. Right now you have to ask yourself how much you really trust a guy and then ask yourself the same question again a few times because they could screw a lot of stuff up. What happens if you have an admin who's associated with multiple servers and he decides it's a late hour and he might just consolidate the players himself to one server? I'd be surprised if this already hasn't happened.

Also on the topic of transparency, the whole team morale thing needs a little more transparency on the numbers associated with the actual states. At least for the beginning of the round. Or at least the ability to retrieve the starting number for the server's skirmish area in the console. Right now the server admin can change those starting team morale numbers and rig skirmish areas. That's no way to run competitive events with a host that is vulnerable to accusations of cheating. The methodology in computing team morale losses isn't exactly simple enough for a player to screencap the results screen and determine that the default team morale values have been changed.
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 02-19-2020 at 01:11 PM.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

CSA Captain

Honestly that's why we need to know when someone's being kicked. We HAVE to know who's doing what, and why.
    Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in!

Quote Originally Posted by LaBelle View Post
    Honestly that's why we need to know when someone's being kicked. We HAVE to know who's doing what, and why.
    I agree - more clarity is needed if admins are to be policed and held up to standards.

We'll look into making it visible who is doing the banning as well as having a seperate message shown when someone is kicked (and who kicked them).

Better messages to the player that has been kicked/banned has been on our wishlist the past year or so. We're currently being hold back due to the on-going work on the lobby system. Once that is implemented it should allow us to create such messages easily and reliably.

- Trusty

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    I agree - more clarity is needed if admins are to be policed and held up to standards.

We'll look into making it visible who is doing the banning as well as having a seperate message shown when someone is kicked (and who kicked them).

Better messages to the player that has been kicked/banned has been on our wishlist the past year or so. We're currently being hold back due to the on-going work on the lobby system. Once that is implemented it should allow us to create such messages easily and reliably.

- Trusty
    please
    Texas Poppin B
    My Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/c/SarisTX

CSA Captain

Yeah
    Texas Poppin B

CSA Captain

bumpity bump
    Texas Poppin B

This is a simple issue that really should have been resolved a long time ago.

This feature is desperately needed, plus an overhaul to the ban system.

The game is nearly impossible for new players because you get auto-banned for six hours if you accidentally team kill someone which is IMPOSSIBLE to avoid if you are just starting out. Everyone looks the same at a distance.

Both myself and a friend have gotten auto-banned for accidentally killing a teammate in our first few games because of this absolutely braindead auto-ban system that discourages any new players from sticking with the game. And when you get banned you have no idea what happened and the top server does not show up in the game menu.

It is incredibly disappointing that TrustyJam has been dragging his feet for FOUR MONTHS with this feature; it needs to be implemented IMMEDIATELY. Getting banned for six hours on your first or second hour playing the game absolutely sucks; if me and my other two friends that bought the game keep getting auto-banned because of a single accidental teamkill we will all refund the game because it isn't worth this much trouble to figure out how to play.
    Last edited by ProHonky; 06-20-2020 at 07:09 AM.

CSA Captain

I hope this got fixed
    Texas Poppin B

Quote Originally Posted by ProHonky View Post
    This feature is desperately needed, plus an overhaul to the ban system.

The game is nearly impossible for new players because you get auto-banned for six hours if you accidentally team kill someone which is IMPOSSIBLE to avoid if you are just starting out. Everyone looks the same at a distance.

Both myself and a friend have gotten auto-banned for accidentally killing a teammate in our first few games because of this absolutely braindead auto-ban system that discourages any new players from sticking with the game. And when you get banned you have no idea what happened and the top server does not show up in the game menu.

It is incredibly disappointing that TrustyJam has been dragging his feet for FOUR MONTHS with this feature; it needs to be implemented IMMEDIATELY. Getting banned for six hours on your first or second hour playing the game absolutely sucks; if me and my other two friends that bought the game keep getting auto-banned because of a single accidental teamkill we will all refund the game because it isn't worth this much trouble to figure out how to play.
    You don't get banned for one team kill... It's a certain undisclosed amount of team DAMAGE within a set amount of time, and it warns you when you are getting close. Going after the devs for in-game mechanics that you aren't grasping isnt the right approach.

That being said I agree with Saris that when able they should have it post a message when someone is kicked so ppl who crash don't think they have been kicked.