Thread: War of Rights - Grand Campaign Season 3

USA 1st Lieutenant

War of Rights - Grand Campaign Season 3

Hello everyone. I am LtCol. Xbwalker of the 3rdUS Regulars, and I would like to share some stuff with you.

As many of you know, there has been an ongoing event every Saturday at 3:30PM East/8:30PM GMT. Suddenly, a bunch of servers' names change to "Grand Campaign." For the past 1+ year, there has been a growing event in the mixed EU and NA communities at this time. Below, some history.

History: Originally, the idea was cooked up by the Independent Volunteer Rifles (IVB). Through events that I only semi understand, as this was before I was part of it, Shadowlorn of the 1stSC took ownership of the campaign idea and turned it into an actual tangible game via TableTop Simulator. The first season was played early in 2019 as an alpha test and ended around October 2019. Season 2 kicked off in November of last year and ended in February 2020. Shadow and the 1stSC left WoR to go play ARMA so I was given the responsibility of developing and organizing the next season. Now, Season 3 is starting this Saturday March 14 with a whole new map and many new cards!

What is the Grand Campaign?
    Basically, we take a tabletop board game in Tabletop Simulator (On Steam) and move pieces on a board representing the eastern half of the USA/CSA. When the tokens run into each other, we roll a dice to determine a map, and then we go into WoR at 3:30 east and fight it out. There are of course more details than that, but that is the most basic description I can provide. You can watch this Youtube video which shows the entire campaign in detail.
    <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqimG2HjZAw" target="_blank">

When is the Grand Campaign?
    Planning/Board game session at 2:00PM east
    Fight at 3:30PM east

Where is the Campaign Played?
    The campaign is hosted on any number of servers owned by the different participants. These servers are generously offered during the event and are passworded for GC players only.

Who is Involved?
    USA: TNA, 3rdUS, 4thNJ, 11thOVI, 9thNY, IVB, 17thMI, 19thIN, other assorted attached units without tokens on the map
    CSA: 1stNC Co.E, 21stMS, 14thLA, II Corps, Pickett's Brigade, Other assorted attached units without tokens on the map.

Currently room for 2 CSA or standby room for USA regiments.

How is Balance Achieved?
    Each week, an average of 2-3 regiments from both sides will run into each other on the map. That leaves plenty of other regiments/brigades out of the action. These non-combatants are instead sent into the fights of the engaged units and are under overall battlefield command of them. Each CO has full control of their unit of course, but will do their best to follow the strategy laid out by the person who commands that battle. Last season, we averaged over 400 players at once, so balance was always a challenge. Though it generally was pretty well handled.

What Are The Rules?
    Standard skirmish rules with a few exceptions.
    No Rambos, 5 minute muster time at the start of a round, and scouts can not fire (if you are solo scouting basically). Other common sense rules apply such as no racism, homophobia etc.

This all sounds like a gimmick. Why should my regiment/brigade play?
    Ask anyone who plays the GC. The stakes in this game are much higher. In WoR, the only thing at risk is possibly your reputation. If you lose, it stings, but you come back and try again. In the GC, you are defending cities or supply points that are absolutely vital to your team on the board game. Because of this, everyone is playing at their absolute best and trying to win. Some of my best games EVER were in grand campaign matches where we were all fighting down to the last second to try and win. Last season, there was a constant struggle for control of Washington DC that resulted in some insanely fun and harrowing matches for both sides.

Some of us have played a long time and perhaps, the same maps have begun to bore you. With the GC, you have a whole new element in your game and much more riding on victory/loss. In the GC, losing hurts bad, but victory feels amazing. I recommend it.

If you are interested and want to speak to the community, check out our discord. https://discord.gg/z4KnDMA

Be sure to change your tags once you connect, because we frequently kick untagged people. Also, you are welcome to ask me questions here.

Thanks guys!
    Last edited by Xbwalker; 03-09-2020 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Fixed video link

Quote Originally Posted by Xbwalker View Post
    Hello everyone. I am LtCol. Xbwalker of the 3rdUS Regulars, and I would like to share some stuff with you.

As many of you know, there has been an ongoing event every Saturday at 3:30PM East/8:30PM GMT. Suddenly, a bunch of servers' names change to "Grand Campaign." For the past 1+ year, there has been a growing event in the mixed EU and NA communities at this time. Below, some history.

History: Originally, the idea was cooked up by the Independent Volunteer Rifles (IVB). Through events that I only semi understand, as this was before I was part of it, Shadowlorn of the 1stSC took ownership of the campaign idea and turned it into an actual tangible game via TableTop Simulator. The first season was played early in 2019 as an alpha test and ended around October 2019. Season 2 kicked off in November of last year and ended in February 2020. Shadow and the 1stSC left WoR to go play ARMA so I was given the responsibility of developing and organizing the next season. Now, Season 3 is starting this Saturday March 14 with a whole new map and many new cards!

What is the Grand Campaign?
    Basically, we take a tabletop board game in Tabletop Simulator (On Steam) and move pieces on a board representing the eastern half of the USA/CSA. When the tokens run into each other, we roll a dice to determine a map, and then we go into WoR at 3:30 east and fight it out. There are of course more details than that, but that is the most basic description I can provide. You can watch this Youtube video which shows the entire campaign in detail.
    <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqimG2HjZAw" target="_blank">

When is the Grand Campaign?
    Planning/Board game session at 2:00PM east
    Fight at 3:30PM east

Where is the Campaign Played?
    The campaign is hosted on any number of servers owned by the different participants. These servers are generously offered during the event and are passworded for GC players only.

Who is Involved?
    USA: TNA, 3rdUS, 4thNJ, 11thOVI, 9thNY, IVB, 17thMI, 19thIN, other assorted attached units without tokens on the map
    CSA: 1stNC Co.E, 21stMS, 14thLA, II Corps, Pickett's Brigade, Other assorted attached units without tokens on the map.

Currently room for 2 CSA or standby room for USA regiments.

How is Balance Achieved?
    Each week, an average of 2-3 regiments from both sides will run into each other on the map. That leaves plenty of other regiments/brigades out of the action. These non-combatants are instead sent into the fights of the engaged units and are under overall battlefield command of them. Each CO has full control of their unit of course, but will do their best to follow the strategy laid out by the person who commands that battle. Last season, we averaged over 400 players at once, so balance was always a challenge. Though it generally was pretty well handled.

What Are The Rules?
    Standard skirmish rules with a few exceptions.
    No Rambos, 5 minute muster time at the start of a round, and scouts can not fire (if you are solo scouting basically). Other common sense rules apply such as no racism, homophobia etc.

This all sounds like a gimmick. Why should my regiment/brigade play?
    Ask anyone who plays the GC. The stakes in this game are much higher. In WoR, the only thing at risk is possibly your reputation. If you lose, it stings, but you come back and try again. In the GC, you are defending cities or supply points that are absolutely vital to your team on the board game. Because of this, everyone is playing at their absolute best and trying to win. Some of my best games EVER were in grand campaign matches where we were all fighting down to the last second to try and win. Last season, there was a constant struggle for control of Washington DC that resulted in some insanely fun and harrowing matches for both sides.

Some of us have played a long time and perhaps, the same maps have begun to bore you. With the GC, you have a whole new element in your game and much more riding on victory/loss. In the GC, losing hurts bad, but victory feels amazing. I recommend it.

If you are interested and want to speak to the community, check out our discord. https://discord.gg/z4KnDMA

Be sure to change your tags once you connect, because we frequently kick untagged people. Also, you are welcome to ask me questions here.

Thanks guys!
    I love this idea. It gives winning a match more mileage.

USA 1st Lieutenant

Yep. And we have been doing it over a year. I can tell you that it makes for some really crazy fights.