Thread: Teamkilling auto ban

USA Captain

Teamkilling auto ban

So I recently downloaded the game and joined a server with 100+ people on it and was enjoying my time learning the keybinds and uniforms again.
    The first match I jumped into on that server was about half way through and I was actually having alot of fun, then the second match started and about 20 minutes into it I managed to shoot a few enemies and melee kill about 5 people, I was definitely enjoying my time since the last time I played. out of no where my screen turns black and then forces me into the main menu where I can still hear people talking in game I was very confused and re logged. After I relogged I tried to join the same server but it wouldn't let me join for some reason. Right when I was about to give up someone added me from the previous game and tried to recruit me and I asked him what happened and he said I was banned for team killing. I remember shooting someone I thought was part of the opposite faction but was not and then after that I was in a melee battle with a few of my teammates and its very buggy but we managed to kill all of them but I accidentally wounded my own teammate. then after that I shot another friendly about 5 minutes later ( i didn't even realize it was a friendly at all, he was standing next to a group of enemies ) and that proceeded to happen.

In my very short experience I think it is not very smart to ban someone for 6 hours because they did a certain amount of team damage, maybe a certain amount of team damage in a short succession? but the team killing auto ban bot thing is just stupid because of the amount of bugs with melee and new players sometimes have difficulty telling the uniforms apart, just a thought.

P.S
    I understand there're trolls in the game and what not but isn't that what admins are for? also there could be a vote kick option? or maybe change it from a timer to just till the end of the round? 6 hours is pretty harsh.

You have to be careful and learn from your experience rapidly. You are never, ever, ever going to spawn in a position to come up BEHIND the enemy yet it's astounding the number of first-timers who start shooting at the rear of their own guys the first time they see them. I have yet to be autobanned in this game a single time, I received an automatic warning once. If you aren't sure, don't shoot. Stick with friendlies. Shoot in the correct direction. Melee is stupid, avoid it.

If there is a serious problem in the area of friendly fire fairness it's because there's a single server of public gameplay at all times and no more as the game continues to degrade into an event-based community with occasional token public events.

If and when the autoban duration becomes a server-side variable, I'm absolutely going to make it a week on my server. Perhaps not for first-timers, if they ever get that system as it was conceived to punish multiple-offenders more. A lot of the autobans I see are intentional exits to a server with the full knowledge that they can come back again the next day. Same as the last game I hosted. Complimentary upgrades to permanent bans in the cases where it's caught. Having psychopaths and careless assholes loose on your server has a negative effect no matter how small your community is.
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 03-26-2020 at 01:09 AM.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

Thank you for the feedback.

You suggest it to be based on team damage caused in a limited amount of time - it already is this (the cooldown rate is but a handful of minutes (I won’t give the exact number as that can be exploited)). There is also a big screen popup warning you to take care when you are close to the amount of damage allowed.

- Trusty

I was playing today when I got banned in my opinion unfairly. Because of officer mismanagment, I am now banned for what the server said was two hours. Two hours later I am still banned (seems the norm is six hours so I'm assuming thats the case).

At the start of the match I was only engaging enemies for a fact. Shooting at their banner yada yada I know I was shooting at the enemy. We then got into a position where I was with my regiment, the other friendly regiment was right next to us, and we were being enveloped. The enemy was pretty far out behind cover so for all I could see they were black silhouettes. No chance of telling what exact regiment they were. I was told by my officer that they were the enemy and that I was to engage. On multiple occasions we were told "fire at that regiment by the boulder" and they fired back at us, so I am about 99% sure they were the enemy. I received no warning from the game telling me I was shooting friendlies, and as far as I knew the other regiment was right next to us.

I am fairly positive that there was absolutely no friendly fire in this case, and I rarely shot at enemies outside of formation (although I did engage in some forward picket work with a couple other sharps rifleman, but we were ahead of most of our team at that points). However there is one case where I am left unsure, but still frustrated that I was banned for.

We were forced to turn and face as what appeared to be an enemy was on our flank. I'm new to the game admittedly so I can't name the exact map for reference. (Side note, I have extensively spent time on the Civil War, so I am not new to how units dressed, and I have done all the tutorials. If you showed me every unit in the game I could tell you what was confederate and union no problem) Anyways, we were told to about face, and aim at an enemy to our rear right. I was unsure how they got there, but our officer told us to aim at that regiment and fire, and so I did.

I was immediately banned. They were out quite far (once again a situation where they were purely black silhouettes) they did not have a banner with them, and the only person who could tell what they exactly were was an officer, who told us to shoot them. How is that my fault? Why am I punished for bad directions from officers? And even if that is the case, as I said I am fairly certain the regiment we were shooting at before was enemy, as in 99%, the only doubt I have is because I WAS banned. If I am right and I was engaging the enemy, I shot one man and was banned for six hours. That's absolutely insane, surely there's a better way to do this?

Quote Originally Posted by MyKey View Post
    I was playing today when I got banned in my opinion unfairly. Because of officer mismanagment, I am now banned for what the server said was two hours. Two hours later I am still banned (seems the norm is six hours so I'm assuming thats the case).

At the start of the match I was only engaging enemies for a fact. Shooting at their banner yada yada I know I was shooting at the enemy. We then got into a position where I was with my regiment, the other friendly regiment was right next to us, and we were being enveloped. The enemy was pretty far out behind cover so for all I could see they were black silhouettes. No chance of telling what exact regiment they were. I was told by my officer that they were the enemy and that I was to engage. On multiple occasions we were told "fire at that regiment by the boulder" and they fired back at us, so I am about 99% sure they were the enemy. I received no warning from the game telling me I was shooting friendlies, and as far as I knew the other regiment was right next to us.

I am fairly positive that there was absolutely no friendly fire in this case, and I rarely shot at enemies outside of formation (although I did engage in some forward picket work with a couple other sharps rifleman, but we were ahead of most of our team at that points). However there is one case where I am left unsure, but still frustrated that I was banned for.

We were forced to turn and face as what appeared to be an enemy was on our flank. I'm new to the game admittedly so I can't name the exact map for reference. (Side note, I have extensively spent time on the Civil War, so I am not new to how units dressed, and I have done all the tutorials. If you showed me every unit in the game I could tell you what was confederate and union no problem) Anyways, we were told to about face, and aim at an enemy to our rear right. I was unsure how they got there, but our officer told us to aim at that regiment and fire, and so I did.

I was immediately banned. They were out quite far (once again a situation where they were purely black silhouettes) they did not have a banner with them, and the only person who could tell what they exactly were was an officer, who told us to shoot them. How is that my fault? Why am I punished for bad directions from officers? And even if that is the case, as I said I am fairly certain the regiment we were shooting at before was enemy, as in 99%, the only doubt I have is because I WAS banned. If I am right and I was engaging the enemy, I shot one man and was banned for six hours. That's absolutely insane, surely there's a better way to do this?
    Hello,

The game informs you of every teamkill you have made in the text chat. If you saw no teamkill messages you have not been auto banned due to teamkilling.

It sounds to me like you were banned by the admin of whatever community-hosted server you were playing on instead. If you would like to be unbanned I would suggest contacting the admin of the server.

- Trusty

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    Hello,

It sounds to me like you were banned by the admin of whatever community-hosted server you were playing on instead. If you would like to be unbanned I would suggest contacting the admin of the server.

- Trusty
    I was banned off one of the Official US East servers when it happened. I'm glad to know that it wasn't the auto-ban, but still is pretty annoying. Either way thanks for making it make a bit more sense.