Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Voice Chat and Ping problems

CSA Captain

Voice Chat and Ping problems

Good evening, everyone.

I've been having the problem for the last few months that, when I have over 120 players on the Server, not only my ingame voice chat is breaking down, but also my entire internet connection. Interesting is that I can play the game at the same time without any performance problems.
    This problem unfortunately makes it impossible to run my unit and is therefore a gamebreaking problem. I have a 16k internet connection and no problems in other games. The same situation exists with other members of my unit.

If the problem is known, or there are suggestions for solutions, I would be very grateful.

Greetings
    von Winkler
    Captain Walter, Leopold, Lothar von-Winkler

USA Brigadier General

same here. Seems like WoR has a lot of Network communication compared to other games.

EDIT: Mainly it effects the upstream because i can hear everybody without problems
    http://www.warofrightsforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=522&dateline=14500460  02

Different issue on my end, since I'm a newer member I can't post but I'm using the Arctis 7 and I can hear everyone in the match all at once. From both sides, even if they are far apart. On top of that, it's not reducing sound when someone is far away and so forth. It works how it should on my speakers, but on my headset it's a pain and I'd like to be able to communicate with the officers and also not have to deal with the headache of hearing everyone all at once and getting wrong orders.

Mostly when i will loose some packets game can lag and players will stay at the position you saw them before that happened thus making this bug

For a while now we have been considering some of our options of improving this. I have also discussed it with you before Winkler As some of you may know, our voice chat is based on TeamSpeak. After having been in communication with TeamSpeak support for a bit, they suggested we set a whisper list for each player on the server, which means that for each game frame, the server has to calculate and create a list for each player containing which other players this player is close to. Then when a player starts speaking, the voice data will only be transmitted to the players on his list who are close to him. We already have the lists for each player calculated and generated in an efficient way, however setting the list on each player on the TeamSpeak server havent seemed to have any effect, the server still sends data to you even if you are not on their whisper list.

The functionality is the same mostly as when you set up whisper lists on the regular TeamSpeak client. The only difference is that when you do it on the teamspeak client, your client sends a request to the server, to add a player or a channel to your whisper list. We would like to avoid this however as when players move around in the ingame world, all clients would constantly be sending requests to the server over the network to remove and add players. The TeamSpeak SDK also supports setting the whisper list directly on the server, from what I can tell, this is however some functionality that isnt used very often so it is possible there are some issues with this feature in the current version of TeamSpeak. We'll see what they tell us when their support gets back to us.

There is of course no guarantee that this will fix any of the issues. But in a game like War of Rights on a full server. You of course never notice it to its full extent, but in a melee charge, it is possible that 50 or more players are speaking in the voice chat at the same time, which then makes the TeamSpeak server send 50 audio streams to all players at the same time which I would imagine would be a fair amount network data.

Quote Originally Posted by HurricaneZook View Post
    Different issue on my end, since I'm a newer member I can't post but I'm using the Arctis 7 and I can hear everyone in the match all at once. From both sides, even if they are far apart. On top of that, it's not reducing sound when someone is far away and so forth. It works how it should on my speakers, but on my headset it's a pain and I'd like to be able to communicate with the officers and also not have to deal with the headache of hearing everyone all at once and getting wrong orders.
    This has been a known issue for a long time now, it is mostly related to some USB and Bluetooth headsets behaving like this. There is currently no fix available other than to use a different headset. However with the stuff I was talking about above. When we get the whisper list on the server to work properly, hopefully within the next week. This would make the server only send voice data to you from players who are within the normal voice chat volume falloff distance which is 35 meters. You will then still only hear players speaking at full volume, but it will only come from those players close to you.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Fancy Sweetroll View Post
    For a while now we have been considering some of our options of improving this. I have also discussed it with you before Winkler As some of you may know, our voice chat is based on TeamSpeak. After having been in communication with TeamSpeak support for a bit, they suggested we set a whisper list for each player on the server, which means that for each game frame, the server has to calculate and create a list for each player containing which other players this player is close to. Then when a player starts speaking, the voice data will only be transmitted to the players on his list who are close to him. We already have the lists for each player calculated and generated in an efficient way, however setting the list on each player on the TeamSpeak server havent seemed to have any effect, the server still sends data to you even if you are not on their whisper list.

The functionality is the same mostly as when you set up whisper lists on the regular TeamSpeak client. The only difference is that when you do it on the teamspeak client, your client sends a request to the server, to add a player or a channel to your whisper list. We would like to avoid this however as when players move around in the ingame world, all clients would constantly be sending requests to the server over the network to remove and add players. The TeamSpeak SDK also supports setting the whisper list directly on the server, from what I can tell, this is however some functionality that isnt used very often so it is possible there are some issues with this feature in the current version of TeamSpeak. We'll see what they tell us when their support gets back to us.

There is of course no guarantee that this will fix any of the issues. But in a game like War of Rights on a full server. You of course never notice it to its full extent, but in a melee charge, it is possible that 50 or more players are speaking in the voice chat at the same time, which then makes the TeamSpeak server send 50 audio streams to all players at the same time which I would imagine would be a fair amount network data.

This has been a known issue for a long time now, it is mostly related to some USB and Bluetooth headsets behaving like this. There is currently no fix available other than to use a different headset. However with the stuff I was talking about above. When we get the whisper list on the server to work properly, hopefully within the next week. This would make the server only send voice data to you from players who are within the normal voice chat volume falloff distance which is 35 meters. You will then still only hear players speaking at full volume, but it will only come from those players close to you.
    Very welcome effort. Solving this problem would be a big step forward for some (and especially for myself).

+1 and good Job.

CSA Captain

How are you getting on with the problem? Do you already have an idea when you can release the update?

Quote Originally Posted by Fancy Sweetroll View Post
    We have now gotten a reply from TeamSpeak and they have confirmed that the issue is a bug on their end with the function in their SDK that sets the whisper list for a player that isnt working. They are working on a fix. I have asked when they think this fix might be available, but we have yet to receive a response. I will regularly check their SDK download page for a new update until then.

USA Brigadier General

nice. thanks for the update
    http://www.warofrightsforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=522&dateline=14500460  02

CSA Captain

Are there any news regarding the TS Voicechat problem? The game has been unplayable for me for almost half a year. The situation is unfortunately very frustrating.