Thread: Historical Accuracy

Historical Accuracy

The Historical Accuracy in this game is one of the most preached things about it. On the store page it says the following...

" - Historical accuracy: Period correct uniforms, weapons, manual of arms animations, battlefields, objectives & drill camps. "

...Now it may be something that not many people pay attention, and may have been said before, but since the game is still in development I thought I would make a post on the "Accuracy" on some of the small things in game.

Braces (Suspenders) - One problem with the uniform I have seen is the incorrect style of braces (suspenders) used by confederates, or a lack there of for some, or even a lack of variety. The suspenders in game look as though they are your run of the mill "reenactor" braces, mixed in with the correct ones.

Here is an image of correct suspenders for the period (On top of some correct shirts)
    . Shirts_and_Suspenders.jpg

Bayonets in Scabbards - They are facing the wrong way!! The bayonet seems to be sitting in every scabbard the way it would sit in an english imported style scabbard that includes a frog. The socket of the bayonet should be facing in towards the torso and not facing out.

Here is a link to the Liberty Rifles 15th Alabama living history at Gettysburg. Every bayonet is sitting the proper way in the scabbards
    https://www.libertyrifles.org/photos/2019/15th-alabama

Haversack & Canteen - The haversack and canteen are positioned way too low. If you refer to the Liberty Rifles page again you can see where a lot of these guys' gear lays on their body when it is there. It is higher up. The purpose of this is very logical, if fording a stream or running you would want your gear to be more "formed" to your body and not flopping around all over the place.

Right Shoulder Shift - The position of "Right Shoulder Shift" in game looks more like the position of "Support Arms" (which is not included but would be a very nice feature added to the list) in the fact that the rifle/musket is almost perpendicular to the soldier himself. The correct position of this should have the rifle/musket resting almost across the back of your neck, as it was used when running to relieve the weight a bit.

Here is the difference between the two
    *Note the difference where the lock-plate (where the hammer and cone are) and trigger guard are positioned

All of these things may not matter to most but when promoting a game that is deemed "Historically Accurate" I believe it is the intention to learn everything possible in order to achieve this. I am by no means an expert on this stuff but I do try and study these things quite frequently so hopefully the devs will look at this and dive a little deeper into photographs from the war and other documentation. Ill try and update this if it catches traction but there is my two cents!

I dont think everything that is on photo is real, when they marched they held rifles at right shoulder shift but i dont know if they could hold it like this. This was probably for parade

Quote Originally Posted by Kotva_ View Post
    I dont think everything that is on photo is real, when they marched they held rifles at right shoulder shift but i dont know if they could hold it like this. This was probably for parade
    Yes the image is a documention of parade but when troops mainly marched they were at the "route step" meaning carry them how you see fit, hence why in photograph evidence you also see a lot of slings on rifle stacks. The purpose of right shoulder shift as I said was to provide troops a better and easier way of carrying the rifle especially when at the double quick step. Soldiers could, and would, definitely hold that position compared to marching around at the shoulder

Quote Originally Posted by rbsmith7 View Post
    Notice in your photograph documenting the various types of suspenders, the vast variety of hats.
    Even just the variety of different positions the guys wore their hands in. That's one thing I don't really see a variety of either and would be great to see.

Hello,

thank you very much for the suggestions.

Here you have a better look on the various suspenders, we already have ingame.
    Right now, soldiers which are using battle shirts (like artillery crew) have access to the wide amount of suspenders. We have no suspenders added to soldiers, which use a shell jacket for example (at least not yet).
    You also get a good overview on the different battle shirts and "regular" shirts we have

Let's finish the rest of the game first.

USA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by McMuffin View Post
    Let's finish the rest of the game first.
    Agreed. Once the entire game is finished (Historical mode, artillery, cavalry, new melee, musicians, bigger servers, performance fixes). Then the devs will have time to rework uniforms, flags, and any other small map details. Itll be great when everything is done and the only updates that start rolling in are unit fixes, unit additions, and map fixes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler28256 View Post
    Agreed. Once the entire game is finished (Historical mode, artillery, cavalry, new melee, musicians, bigger servers, performance fixes). Then the devs will have time to rework uniforms, flags, and any other small map details. Itll be great when everything is done and the only updates that start rolling in are unit fixes, unit additions, and map fixes.
    100% agree with the above statement. There will be plenty of time to polish that stuff later. Right now it would be a distraction from long awaited content and mechanics.

And I agree with all of that as well, these are just things to get people thinking on what is right and wrong. This game has so much potential for historical accuracy but I do understand that a ton of things need to get fixed/added to the game first. One small thing that really can get fixed, in my opinion, is the bayonet issue. That has been a problem since the start of the game but no one has said anything and thats including me as well. Another thing to just touch on the "Battle shirts", the suspenders should go under the battle shirts as that was the main almost "jacket" for units. Units were required to wear their jackets, or fatigue blouses whatever you want to call them, and in the hot days would merely have to keep the top button buttoned. Again to re-iterate though, I am fully for fixing the game first. Just hope these other visual details get fixed or added