Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dear Developers, We` d like to talk. A community initiative

USA 1st Lieutenant

The 3rd US (100 actives) and most of the FA I believe (500ish) fully support this. My main wish is for more transparency and communication. Gleaning the info out of responses to forum and steam posts is very frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by rbsmith7 View Post
    Speaking as someone with a degree in advertising design:

It is wonderful that CG is active on these forums and the Steam Discussion board, but it is absolutely inexcusable that the last update on the War of Rights frontpage is from September of last year. Field Reports are amazing and always bring very good news to us, but CG really needs to consider posting smaller development updates more often. Small blurbs, ie. "we fixed a glitch today" or "we finished a new flag this week" or "we are adding more avatars to the Company Tool next month", would probably accomplish much towards encouraging this community to continue being patient.

(As an aside, the inflated number of "signatures" to this petition would make George B. McClellan proud)

Monthly reports.

Hello everyone,

Thank you all for your letter and feedback regarding the state of the game and your thoughts of Campfire Games.

The game is still in alpha and this means technical issues. It is important to remember that the game is not a fully launched/complete title yet. We fully understand why this might get frustrating as time goes on (especially when it’s been 4 months since the last game update/bug fix). The next update is much larger than artillery only so it might fix some of the issues you’re all experiencing.

When we released the last update 4 months ago we believed that we were pretty close (within a month or two maybe) to being able to launch artillery. That is why we merged into the artillery branch and have been hard at work getting it, and many other things, ready since then. This is also why we have not given any ETA as to its release. The upside of this is that the update is posed to be the biggest one released to the game since the Early Access launch.

We are reading every bit of presented feedback from the community. Something not making it into the alpha (in the near or far future or maybe even never) doesn’t mean that we are ignoring the suggestion. There can be a host of different reasons as to why it doesn’t make it into the game (technical, time related, no developer currently free to create it, not matching our vision, etc.).

We are sorry to see that you feel we are not communicating with you. We are answering posts made by the community on a daily basis across most of our social channels and we will continue to do so as well as engage with community members writing us directly (be that via steam or other platforms). We are quite proud of how reachable by anyone wanting to talk to us we are as developers.

We invite everyone willing to post their suggestions and ideas as well as feedback of the development team and whatever else they may feel will help the game as well as the community to prosper on the War of Rights official forum. We do not feel like the actual weight of some of the issues raised would work in a community roundtable as we would require time to formulate our answers in order to make them the best that they can possibly be as the community deserves this and not quick off the cuff answers to the many questions presumably put forward in such a setting.

We respect and appreciate our community and we take a great pride in being a part of the ingredients needed for such a tight knit one to grow over the last several years and to this day.

On behalf of Campfire Games,

Mads Støjko Larsen
    Co-Founder
    Campfire Games

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    Hello everyone,

Thank you all for your letter and feedback regarding the state of the game and your thoughts of Campfire Games.

The game is still in alpha and this means technical issues. It is important to remember that the game is not a fully launched/complete title yet. We fully understand why this might get frustrating as time goes on (especially when it’s been 4 months since the last game update/bug fix). The next update is much larger than artillery only so it might fix some of the issues you’re all experiencing.

When we released the last update 4 months ago we believed that we were pretty close (within a month or two maybe) to being able to launch artillery. That is why we merged into the artillery branch and have been hard at work getting it, and many other things, ready since then. This is also why we have not given any ETA as to its release. The upside of this is that the update is posed to be the biggest one released to the game since the Early Access launch.

We are reading every bit of presented feedback from the community. Something not making it into the alpha (in the near or far future or maybe even never) doesn’t mean that we are ignoring the suggestion. There can be a host of different reasons as to why it doesn’t make it into the game (technical, time related, no developer currently free to create it, not matching our vision, etc.).

We are sorry to see that you feel we are not communicating with you. We are answering posts made by the community on a daily basis across most of our social channels and we will continue to do so as well as engage with community members writing us directly (be that via steam or other platforms). We are quite proud of how reachable by anyone wanting to talk to us we are as developers.

We invite everyone willing to post their suggestions and ideas as well as feedback of the development team and whatever else they may feel will help the game as well as the community to prosper on the War of Rights official forum. We do not feel like the actual weight of some of the issues raised would work in a community roundtable as we would require time to formulate our answers in order to make them the best that they can possibly be as the community deserves this and not quick off the cuff answers to the many questions presumably put forward in such a setting.

We respect and appreciate our community and we take a great pride in being a part of the ingredients needed for such a tight knit one to grow over the last several years and to this day.

Mads Støjko Larsen
    Co-Founder
    Campfire Games

Why not collect all of the progress made at the end of the month and make a post? Give us stuff to look forward to, give us a reason to stay around. Right now you have to wade through heaps of forum posts to get answers that were given months prior and are inaccurate now.

1stNJ is on board with this as well, though we weren’t listed above. We’ve been here since the very beginning, but it’s getting harder and harder for me to give a reason to my guys of why they should stick around, due to lack of communication/news/anything
    2nd Lt. Szalai Mihaly, 1st New Jersey, Company A

USA Captain

One thing that will solve a lot of issues of these issues is by posting maybe weekly development diaries like Paradox Entertainment does with EU4, HOi4, etc. and dare I say Battle Cry of Freedom does as well. Screen shots of the development, a brief whats to come. It's a way to excite the player base with things to come, and show how far progress is coming along. No release dates needed. The detailed report can be given when its actually released in the patch notes as you guys do now. A dev diary would really boost moral in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    Hello everyone,

Mads Støjko Larsen
    Co-Founder
    Campfire Games

So, if you have been working on more than just the artillery, things like bug fixes etc. how come instead of just letting the community know that these fixes are potentially coming in the near future and are actively being worked on it requires quite a chunk of the community to write a long letter to you and your team to actually get that information out? You are literally confirming the exact issue that is being addressed in this letter...namely that you are, for some reason, incapable of communicating these details which would reassure the community that their technical issues are being taken care off (or at least that the attempt is being made to fix some of these issues). We are playtesting your product, giving you money and publicity in equal measure, spread the word about your game even in its current state and then we still need to drag every bit of information about the future of the game out of your nose. Its a painful process that people are sick and tired off.

Taking into consideration your valid point concerning a community roundtable style discussion, how about, instead of just going on with the system that has clearly not worked to well considering it has come to this now, you talk to the community leaders about giving you a question catalogue (could be done via an open google document or something along that line) that they can come up with so that you have a chance to prepare adequately for them. No one is suggesting you guys go on a teamspeak server right now to go face to face with everyone. All we wish for is communication. We are used to waiting, one or two days are not going to matter to most people here as long as something is finally being done.

In regards to you being proud of being one of the ingredients for this tight knit community, I appreciate the sentiment but the fact that the community aspect of the game has been utterly neglected since launch of the game kind of speaks against your point there in my opinion. Months before we had password support (and to this day it is very particular whether it will allow you on the server or not), a terrible admin tool, an utterly useless company tool which was so prominently featured in your advertisements and a complete lack of server customizability to actually foster and nurture proper community events indicates to me that the strong community focus might be relevant in the forums but appears not to matter to much to you in the actual game. These are things that people have been requesting for a long time now and yet they appear to be deemed of "low priority" at least if I understood that correctly from FancySweetrolles last post about the company tool.

All I am saying is that there is a clear disconnect between developers and community, one that can only be fixed through communication. I truly love this game (why else would I spend my weekends with it) and I want it to reach its full potential. I appreciate the efforts of the development team and hope that they can improve on communication with their community. Then I am already a happy Player <3.
    Last edited by ATOMBaneblade; 04-10-2020 at 01:40 AM.

Considering in most places it's essentially summer time (the kids are out of school and homebound due to the pandemic), the player counts are genuinely worrying for generic public gameplay. At peak evening public play hours you're looking at 80-100 players in my time zone in skirmish servers.

I'm aware the steam numbers don't generally reflect a downturn, that's because of a parallel event-centered community which aggressively recruits from the pool of public gameplay and meets at a set place and time. The problem is that the public gameplay is frequently quite terrible once you get into it. Not always but frequently. So the pool of people to recruit from is going to be ever-diminishing. I lost track of how many times I harped on the importance of enjoyable public gameplay and the danger of becoming an event-centered community.

I'm pretty much spent with public gameplay as an enjoyable, sober pastime. I don't care much about artillery but I expect public gameplay to become further disjointed when it's released even if there is a bump in activity. What would be really nice is basic infantry improvements. Improved melee and a few other things that have been clamored about for multiple years. Instead the infantry gameplay is just festering right now and the hope for everyone I think is that we won't recognize the game we'll be playing in another year in a good way.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

CSA Captain

The game is still in alpha and this means technical issues.
    This is no longer an acceptable answer.
    Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in!

Quote Originally Posted by Poorlaggedman View Post
    Considering in most places it's essentially summer time (the kids are out of school and homebound due to the pandemic), the player counts are genuinely worrying for generic public gameplay. At peak evening public play hours you're looking at 80-100 players in my time zone in skirmish servers.

I'm aware the steam numbers don't generally reflect a downturn, that's because of a parallel event-centered community which aggressively recruits from the pool of public gameplay and meets at a set place and time. The problem is that the public gameplay is frequently quite terrible once you get into it. Not always but frequently. So the pool of people to recruit from is going to be ever-diminishing. I lost track of how many times I harped on the importance of enjoyable public gameplay and the danger of becoming an event-centered community.

I'm pretty much spent with public gameplay as an enjoyable, sober pastime. I don't care much about artillery but I expect public gameplay to become further disjointed when it's released even if there is a bump in activity. What would be really nice is basic infantry improvements. Improved melee and a few other things that have been clamored about for multiple years. Instead the infantry gameplay is just festering right now and the hope for everyone I think is that we won't recognize the game we'll be playing in another year in a good way.
    Could not agree more with you Sir, although I am in the mainly event focused camp it is depressing to see the state of public play at the moment. I´ve meet so many players feed up with the lack of supportive structures to foster this type of play that they ended up joining a unit just for the sake of enjoying their time with the game occasionally. Both public and event focused play are essential to the longevity of the game and neither gameplay style is adequately supported in the current state of the game. Leadership in public matches is a gamble and both public and event based gameplay lacks variety in basic gameplay (e.g. lack of flushed out infantry mechanics) and lack customizability for varieties sake to spice up the experience. If I remember it correctly you had some interesting video´s with suggestions how to move forward with public play and how to motivate the players to actually engage with their officers (by election similar to a Blake Wake style system for example) and follow their orders. Many of these ideas I 100% support as I believe that both public and event based play are vital components to this game.