Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dear Developers, We` d like to talk. A community initiative

Hello everyone,

I must say that I fully agree with you: I've stopped playing 2 months ago just because I was waiting for some kind of update that never happened.

Also, I think the real problem comes from the engine they are using:

Cry engine is perfect for outdoor environments, real-time lighting, but everything else is clunky or very difficult to work with.

So given the fact that CFG is a very small team, any new implementation can take months or years.

They shot themselves in the foot IMHO.

But this is not an excuse for the lack of communication: I don't mean answering questions on forums, that they already do, but I mean showing what they are working on, what problem they are encountering or solving, progress...

Just stop the guessing game.

Anyway, I'm happy that the community signals its displeasure. But I'm sad that it had to happen.

Best regards,

LeFuret
    Last edited by LeFuret; 04-10-2020 at 10:46 AM.
    siiiiiip, yup.

CSA Lieutenant General

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    Hello everyone,

Thank you all for your letter and feedback regarding the state of the game and your thoughts of Campfire Games.

The game is still in alpha and this means technical issues. It is important to remember that the game is not a fully launched/complete title yet. We fully understand why this might get frustrating as time goes on (especially when it’s been 4 months since the last game update/bug fix). The next update is much larger than artillery only so it might fix some of the issues you’re all experiencing.

When we released the last update 4 months ago we believed that we were pretty close (within a month or two maybe) to being able to launch artillery. That is why we merged into the artillery branch and have been hard at work getting it, and many other things, ready since then. This is also why we have not given any ETA as to its release. The upside of this is that the update is posed to be the biggest one released to the game since the Early Access launch.

We are reading every bit of presented feedback from the community. Something not making it into the alpha (in the near or far future or maybe even never) doesn’t mean that we are ignoring the suggestion. There can be a host of different reasons as to why it doesn’t make it into the game (technical, time related, no developer currently free to create it, not matching our vision, etc.).

We are sorry to see that you feel we are not communicating with you. We are answering posts made by the community on a daily basis across most of our social channels and we will continue to do so as well as engage with community members writing us directly (be that via steam or other platforms). We are quite proud of how reachable by anyone wanting to talk to us we are as developers.

We invite everyone willing to post their suggestions and ideas as well as feedback of the development team and whatever else they may feel will help the game as well as the community to prosper on the War of Rights official forum. We do not feel like the actual weight of some of the issues raised would work in a community roundtable as we would require time to formulate our answers in order to make them the best that they can possibly be as the community deserves this and not quick off the cuff answers to the many questions presumably put forward in such a setting.

We respect and appreciate our community and we take a great pride in being a part of the ingredients needed for such a tight knit one to grow over the last several years and to this day.

On behalf of Campfire Games,

Mads Stűjko Larsen
    Co-Founder
    Campfire Games

I would like to thank all of those who have written productive and constructive comments, I know that people will continue to do so in the future. IŽd also like to thank Trusty for his comment and his explanation of his views on the matter, yet I have to say that many people might not utilise facebook and/or Twitter for that matter. IŽd assume that similarly to myself, lots of people are either not aware or too afraid of directly contacting developers as this is not something that you guys have actively been fostering throughout the last couple of years. As such, I was not even aware that contacting you privately was an option.

Regarding the issue of a "round table discussion" I would suggest that you could create a topic catalogue/question catalogue in cooperation with the community and your development team in advance. This would give both the community and yourself time to prepare. Of course, if you agree to such a discussion, the topic catalogue/question catalogue catalogue would not be altered after having been given to you.

Kind Regards

Colonel H. Richter
    TGV Commander
    Legion Staff Officer

One of the major issues, besides the lack of communication about developments in regard tae the game behind the scenes, are the technical problems. As being mentioned in the Letter, to which we, the 4th New Jersey Volunteer Infantry, are Signatories as well, the current state is almost bordering on breaking the game for quite a few of us too.

Just as an example, we are holding 6 Drills per week tae accommodate the different timezones of our Members and during pretty much every single Drill there is at least one lad who can only be seen by some other players and quite often I have tae wiggle my sword around in Melee Mode tae fix my position in the game, so that my lads can actually recognise me in the position I'm actually in. And the list goes on...

One of my 2ndLt's came 5 minutes late tae an Event last Weekend and for the duration of the 1st Map we played, he could only see 5 out of 18 men fighting in our Formation and out of these 5 he could hear only 3 in game. On the other side most of us were actually able tae see and hear him. And before somebody says that this is just one player experiencing such thing, sadly it is not... I've seen it several times before happening tae players, regardless if they were North Americans, Europeans or Australians. We currently participate in 5 Events over the course of a week and it seems tae happen in quite a lot of them.

Fixing these kind of Issues would help a lot for starters...

Dan Hagman
    Captain, Commanding
    4th New Jersey
    Federal Army Brigade
    Last edited by Dan Hagman; 04-10-2020 at 10:01 AM.

CSA Major General

Hello everyone,
    Thank you all for your letter and feedback regarding the state of the game and your thoughts of Campfire Games.
    -> somebody has been studying on how to handle complaints

. The next update is much larger than artillery only so it might fix some of the issues you’re all experiencing.

We're not sure and we're not sure what issues you think we might have ? (crashing bushes ? password & joining issues ? TAB menu not being correct, 'ingame voice' broken, CPU & internet connection being strained .... )

When we released the last update 4 months ago we believed that we were pretty close (within a month or two maybe) to being able to launch artillery. That is why we merged into the artillery branch and have been hard at work getting it, and many other things, ready since then. This is also why we have not given any ETA as to its release. The upside of this is that the update is posed to be the biggest one released to the game since the Early Access launch.
    Don't get us wrong, some of us who worked in IT know the impact of even little changes or patches .. can be all fine or it can go awfully wrong.

I get you don't want to give an ETA cause you don't want to be pinned down, but plz give us some 'dev diary' or something or what are the 'issues' or what thinks are progressing. (no we're not asking for bodycams or whereabouts, GDPR you know )

I know some people in this community have some 'inside info' or have a better standing with the devs, personally I don't care about that.

On arty
    : some here believe it's some magical solution to the fatigue and loss of interest some have, for their sakes I hope so ... but it think it's a short term vision.

We are reading every bit of presented feedback from the community. Something not making it into the alpha (in the near or far future or maybe even never) doesn’t mean that we are ignoring the suggestion. There can be a host of different reasons as to why it doesn’t make it into the game (technical, time related, no developer currently free to create it, not matching our vision, etc.).

I'm pretty sure you read and respond to a lot of the things, but I prefer to have a list of community suggestions and to be clearly stated what is possible and not. Cause now there are a lot of posts/suggestions being drowned in a pool of text. -->

will save time on suggesting and reading same things all over again.

Like I said before -> this community isn't the best at coming together (this letter is kinda of exceptional), it usually comes down to threads with great suggestions and some people not agreeing and not much happening.

We are quite proud of how reachable by anyone wanting to talk to us we are as developers.
    Reachable yes ... fully agree on. But don't think that was the issue posed.

We invite everyone willing to post their suggestions and ideas as well as feedback of the development team ... on the War of Rights official forum.
    They have been, for the past few year

We do not feel like the actual weight of some of the issues raised would work in a community roundtable as we would require time to formulate our answers in order to make them the best that they can possibly be as the community deserves this and not quick off the cuff answers to the many questions presumably put forward in such a setting.

Since people are writting open letters for a better communication & asking for and updated report on progress, it's because they care. Lot of the 'longtime' players I've been speaking to are fatigued or are looking into other games. Which is worrying, it's not like the holdfast situation. It's your hardcore players, day 1 believers who have doubts
    Last edited by Redleader; 04-10-2020 at 12:39 PM.

CSA Major

A thread that shares my own grumbles. I agree with the vast majority of comments by the contributors.

I am now also expecting a lot from the next official update, whenever that may be. Something in the region of a near to completed list that was posted on Field report 41, with a few more bells and whistles.

As stated, there have been several years of development and the WoRs game is one that every poster on this thread has invested in to some degree. Being "reachable" in the early days may have been the right approach for that stage of the companies growth, but it appears from reading this thread there is an appetite for more in the way of studio informtation from it's userbase. Formulated statements are all well and good with the facts and information that they provide, but they are cold and defensive reading material that sometimes come across as business spin doctoring. Please don't fall into that trap CFG.

Will this WoR forum get an admin overhaul at somestage to clean things up? I'd like to see older posts seperated off or closed if they are no longer relevent so that current issues and topics can be seen with greater clarity. Some threads need closing and new ones created to make a more consertive effort to display a current reflection of the state of WoR. I'll be honest, this forum is my only port of call to get WoRs information so I'm not going to comment on other information streams.

If I were in CFG's position now, I'd be thankful that a thread like this has been posted. It shows that there are people who care enough to express frustrations rather than drop the product entirely and that is a really good indicator. I am not going to stop playing WoRs, and I doubt that most people reading or contributing to this thread will. But with a pandemic and most in lockdown, it sure is easy to vent a little.
    Pvt. Kenah

For Southern Secession

Also, don't enter into some sort of feedback loop where because you see we are all angry about our various things that the next update HAS to be perfect, immense, and all of that, so therefore you wait longer, we get pissed more, etc.

USA Brigadier General

Quote Originally Posted by Redleader View Post
    -> somebody has been studying on how to handle complaints

We're not sure and we're not sure what issues you think we might have ? (crashing bushes ? password & joining issues ? TAB menu not being correct, 'ingame voice' broken, CPU & internet connection being strained .... )

Don't get us wrong, some of us who worked in IT know the impact of even little changes or patches .. can be all fine or it can go awfully wrong.

I get you don't want to give an ETA cause you don't want to be pinned down, but plz give us some 'dev diary' or something or what are the 'issues' or what thinks are progressing. (no we're not asking for bodycams or whereabouts, GDPR you know )

I know some people in this community have some 'inside info' or have a better standing with the devs, personally I don't care about that.

On arty
    : some here believe it's some magical solution to the fatigue and loss of interest some have, for their sakes I hope so ... but it think it's a short term vision.

I'm pretty sure you read and respond to a lot of the things, but I prefer to have a list of community suggestions and to be clearly stated what is possible and not. Cause now there are a lot of posts/suggestions being drowned in a pool of text. -->

will save time on suggesting and reading same things all over again.

Like I said before -> this community isn't the best at coming together (this letter is kinda of exceptional), it usually comes down to threads with great suggestions and some people not agreeing and not much happening.

Reachable yes ... fully agree on. But don't think that was the issue posed.

They have been, for the past few year

Since people are writting open letters for a better communication & asking for and updated report on progress, it's because they care. Lot of the 'longtime' players I've been speaking to are fatigued or are looking into other games. Which is worrying, it's not like the holdfast situation. It's your hardcore players, day 1 believers who have doubts
    Thank you very much Red. This could be a reply from me

I go with AtomBanablade:

I followed Hell let Loose since their Kickstarter campaign like some others of the WoR community. before their release they collected all the infos about their clan leaders and invited them to a special discord. from time to time when things ware going bad and the community needed some infos the devs posted a link to an hoogle excel document where we were able to write down our questions. when the devs were ready for it they ancounced an meeting on this special discord and answered every question and we were able to ask again if we didnt get their answer. they had open ears to all our concerns and problems.

For example passwords didnt work at the beginning: we told them that we need them for our events etc. they got it and told us what the problem is and that they work on it.

Of course it didnt change something on the problem, passwords were still missing BUT i was able to tell my clan "I talked to the devs at the last meeting. they are aware of this problem. They have some technical issues on XY but they give their best to release it asap."

THIS is much better than i can talk to my company:

"I am not sure if they work on it. I wrote a thread in the forum but i didnt get a reply so far. Well, we have to see what will happen with the next update but i dont know when it comes and what will be in there"

Guess, which member is happier and feels "heared" and who will go throw a bad time because he knows that his problem get a fix.

I see here so many people who are here since years and a lot of them represents large communities behind them. They know the problems which i described above. A lot of us are often the last fall back line you guys have because we are interested to hold as much people in this game as you but we cant hold them forever especially when we feel like them.

please halp us to destroy as much concerns as we can and please help us to hold the people in this game. Help us to tell our guys that we have a good contect to you and you heared our problems. Help us to give our members, your players and community, the feeling that you take care of them and their concerns.
    http://www.warofrightsforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=522&dateline=14500460  02

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Decimus Meridius View Post
    Thank you very much Red. This could be a reply from me

I go with AtomBanablade:

I followed Hell let Loose since their Kickstarter campaign like some others of the WoR community. before their release they collected all the infos about their clan leaders and invited them to a special discord. from time to time when things ware going bad and the community needed some infos the devs posted a link to an hoogle excel document where we were able to write down our questions. when the devs were ready for it they ancounced an meeting on this special discord and answered every question and we were able to ask again if we didnt get their answer. they had open ears to all our concerns and problems.

For example passwords didnt work at the beginning: we told them that we need them for our events etc. they got it and told us what the problem is and that they work on it.

Of course it didnt change something on the problem, passwords were still missing BUT i was able to tell my clan "I talked to the devs at the last meeting. they are aware of this problem. They have some technical issues on XY but they give their best to release it asap."

THIS is much better than i can talk to my company:

"I am not sure if they work on it. I wrote a thread in the forum but i didnt get a reply so far. Well, we have to see what will happen with the next update but i dont know when it comes and what will be in there"

Guess, which member is happier and feels "heared" and who will go throw a bad time because he knows that his problem get a fix.

I see here so many people who are here since years and a lot of them represents large communities behind them. They know the problems which i described above. A lot of us are often the last fall back line you guys have because we are interested to hold as much people in this game as you but we cant hold them forever especially when we feel like them.

please halp us to destroy as much concerns as we can and please help us to hold the people in this game. Help us to tell our guys that we have a good contect to you and you heared our problems. Help us to give our members, your players and community, the feeling that you take care of them and their concerns.
    this would be a good idea, just at the end of every week, post a summery or the changelogs of what you did that week, even if it isnt being released yet
    2nd Lt. Szalai Mihaly, 1st New Jersey, Company A

CSA Major General

Another thing that hasn't been touched here, is about what the devs can expect from the 'testers' (us).
    We're doing some public play and events (usually PW cause no one would want those out of line tickets ... right ... and most events are packed).
    I write for my personal account and from personal experience, unless stated otherwise.

Besides the fact that I agree it would help with more frequent updates posted in the designated channels. Then I have to say what a weird flex this is. And some absurd claims in this thread. Even reaching so far as to some claiming that devs keeps info secretly and deny the community to have any insight. Both Hinkel and Trusty gave answers to players asking questions about arty and other progress made , both on the day this letter was posted and the days before that, just to give one example. Then there is the 'clans should have special acccess' argument - This has allso been answered more than one time,a long time back. And devs have stated that they had and have no intentions, to make this game or community something that is only driven by or catered to us. But where all have a say. So it's a bit weird seeing veteran players still demanding that we should have special access. Or even questioning why we don't have that, this far down the road.

With that said. A more professionel PR handling would help a whole lot. But the hardcore part of this community should be able to admit that answers to questions are pretty easy to get or find. But a monthly report/update that are easy for all to find should be a doable thing, and not take signifcant time away from development. I mean as they allready do that, just in small bits here and there - so it might even save the devs some time in the long end. Maybe with some answers to some faq's. !? Because the waiting time, both for arty and further development sure takes a whole lot of love and loyalty. Even for those of us that are more hyped about the release of buglers/bugler calls and optional mustache than we are about the release of new optional targets.
    Last edited by Dane Karlsen; 04-10-2020 at 06:58 PM.