Thread: Has development ceased on this game?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Has development ceased on this game?

Have the developers walked away completely from this game?

Ok. I really HOPE that's true. If so, the devs should take a few minutes to communicate SOMETHING to the community. I fear that we're on the verge of a mass exodus. It's not too much ask for a dev to say something to prove that they're still interested in this game.

They haven't walked away (I guess), but when you see the latest update was back in november, and it didn't even was that significant in terms of gameplay, it's rather depressing. It's been a few years and still alpha state, important additions come once a year at most, little to zero feedback from the devs, only one game mode (picket patrol? very succesful, yeah), rather simplistic gameplay, pathetic melee combat... I for one have lost any hope of this game to become what I thought it'd be or would become some day. It wouldn't surprise me if it ended literally discontinued in the not so far future, and I'm completely sure that the very moment it had ANY competition it'd be immediately deserted by it (too, considering the circumstances) loyal but tiny community.

It's a shame because the potential is there, but I guess it's a project for a bigger studio with more resources.

USA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by A. Bravo View Post
    It's a shame because the potential is there, but I guess it's a project for a bigger studio with more resources.
    That is the struggle since I have started following this game in 2016. Small team and big dreams. It has been a grind and understandable why some work has/is being done. (I still say Harper's was a waste of resources:P)

I will always say, CG needs to up their status notifications. We only get some when the community starts on fire.

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by A. Bravo View Post
    They haven't walked away (I guess), but when you see the latest update was back in november, and it didn't even was that significant in terms of gameplay, it's rather depressing. It's been a few years and still alpha state, important additions come once a year at most, little to zero feedback from the devs, only one game mode (picket patrol? very succesful, yeah), rather simplistic gameplay, pathetic melee combat... I for one have lost any hope of this game to become what I thought it'd be or would become some day. It wouldn't surprise me if it ended literally discontinued in the not so far future, and I'm completely sure that the very moment it had ANY competition it'd be immediately deserted by it (too, considering the circumstances) loyal but tiny community.

Development has been at a crawl that's for sure, and frankly, I am tired of hearing, "but its a small studio"....

Yes it is, BUT get this. Drill Camp was released May 25, 2016. Phase I skirmishes, was released May 18, 2017. A FULL year later, and with only a few skirmish areas. Phase II skirmishes was released October 12, 2018, another FULL year and four months later.

There have been hardly any GAMEPLAY additions, if at all, apart from new maps, (that have already been developed from the main map) from phase I. After over 4 years from Drill Camp being released, we still are lacking, proper melee, musicians, artillery, and cavalry. The main campaign, i fear, is years off, if at all.

We know they are working hard, but let's face it, this project is way too big for them.
    siiiiiip, yup.

CSA Captain

It's obvious that they're still working on this, but I fear it will all end up being too little too late. Now I don't say that lightly, the American Civil War is hands down my favourite historical conflict, and I had high hopes that WoR was the game that I've waited all of my gaming life for. The Devs have all been players themselves, so I also had high hopes that they would at least take what the player base suggested into consideration, which sadly proved not to be the case. I'm of the opinion that by the time WoR is anywhere near finished, that it's player base will have long since evaporated.

Skirmish mode got boring very quickly for me, Dev idea's like Last Stand, Final Push & Counterattack did nothing what so ever to help gameplay, in fact it made it worse. Melee is just dreadful, and it quickly became the 'go to' if you were loosing a fire fight because you are almost assured of wiping out the enemy even if it means you'll get wiped yourselves. Animations are clunky, stiff, and unrealistic to the point where the avatars look out of place against the fantastic battlefield that CG created. Infantry gameplay is flawed, and the player base has pointed this out, but the Devs ignored it and moved on to Artillery anyway. The only way to save WoR would be a deal with a publisher to bring in money, so that more Dev's could be brought in and a move towards the mythical 'campaign mode' could be made......but anyone who has been here for any length of time knows that this is never going to happen.
    ''I'm here to play an American Civil War era combat game, not Call of Duty with muskets.''.