Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Technical issues: The platform system explained

USA Captain

Thank you for the update! I'd love to see more of these kinds of posts!
    Company B, 9th New York Volunteer Infantry

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation.

It will be part of the field report/patch notes released in conjunction with the artillery release. We will likely also add the first view of cav which we posted a few months ago to it to just be sure that everyone's fully up to date. The work presented is not really a new reveal. We've been mentioning the lobby/platform system a number of times throughout the year and a half which it has been in development and we've also had Philipp write one or two explanatory posts about it earlier, but this is the first time it has been worded as precisely as it has above - and probably also given the space that a programming task of this scale deserves.

We're happy that this is appreciated by you and we will make sure to post somewhat regular updates as to its progress if its development should take several more months before it is ready (which I'd say is quite likely although we don't have any ETA's regarding its completion).

- Trusty
    Several more months? WTF are you all doing? Taking the money people donated and partying? You have been working on arty and bugs for several months already. NO updates in the game!!!!! You all had a patch fix to stop people from seeing kills in the game logs within days and we cannot even get simple bugs fixed in several months. We want your game to succeed. But, in this direction you are sinking your own ship. I have seen a 20 year old game have more active players than yours.
    Last edited by Rondorf13; 04-21-2020 at 07:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rondorf13 View Post
    Several more months? WTF are you all doing? Taking the money people donated and partying? You have been working on arty and bugs for several months already. NO updates in the game!!!!! You all had a patch fix to stop people from seeing kills in the game logs within days and we cannot even get simple bugs fixed in several months. We want your game to succeed. But, in this direction you are sinking your own ship. I have seen a 20 year old game have more active players than yours.
    I’m referring to the completion of the platform system described above, the biggest programming undertaking we have ever done - not the artillery patch.

- Trusty

CSA Major General

I’m referring to the completion of the platform system described above, the biggest programming undertaking we have ever done - not the artillery patch.
    Thx Trusty & Philipp for the update.

I'm presuming both these 'bigger' projects are being worked on at the same time, what does this mean for the integration in the long run ?
    We are aware this is a 'small' team in 'gaming terms', how do the 'devs' look unto the future ?
    Any ETA on arty ? (not to set a date when it's coming, but more to know when it's not coming… like not Q2 for example)
    I write for my personal account and from personal experience, unless stated otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Redleader View Post
    Thx Trusty & Philipp for the update.

I'm presuming both these 'bigger' projects are being worked on at the same time, what does this mean for the integration in the long run ?
    We are aware this is a 'small' team in 'gaming terms', how do the 'devs' look unto the future ?
    Any ETA on arty ? (not to set a date when it's coming, but more to know when it's not coming… like not Q2 for example)
    Our programming team consists of two programmers. Philipp has been working on the platform system since january 2019 and Mike has been working on the transport/artillery/cavalry system since april 2019.

As you can see, these are major projects, each taking more than a year so we don’t feel comfortable giving any kind of estimates for them due to their complexity.

The artillery update is shaping up well though with a lot of tasks having been completed the past week. We still have one or two release blockers however (one of them being a failure in the item system, sometimes not properly removing the round from you when you insert it into the barrel, resulting in you being able to use that "ghost round" to reload other guns without having to return to the limber chest and pick up a new one - this is game breaking as this allows you to circumvent the limited amount of rounds in the limber chests in a skirmish area).

- Trusty

CSA Major

Thanks for the post Trusty, Philipp did a good job on the info update. I suppose if the team are learning how to do build the new platform as well as tie it in with other external systems it explains the timeframes.

Also, really glad to see that we'll be getting more of these kind of posts.

Just a quick cheeky question, have the scheduled recordings for the artillery audio samples been carried out yet?
    Pvt. Kenah

For Southern Secession

USA Brigadier General

The artillery update is shaping up well though with a lot of tasks having been completed the past week. We still have one or two release blockers however (one of them being a failure in the item system, sometimes not properly removing the round from you when you insert it into the barrel, resulting in you being able to use that "ghost round" to reload other guns without having to return to the limber chest and pick up a new one - this is game breaking as this allows you to circumvent the limited amount of rounds in the limber chests in a skirmish area).

- Trusty
    Every Arti officer would disagree that this is a gamebreaking bug
    sounds interesting but as an infantry officer i would not like to get annihilated due to infinite arti ammo
    whats the other one?

what i did not really get:

will be the new platform delivered with the artillery update or to a different time?

thanks for sharing
    http://www.warofrightsforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=522&dateline=14500460  02

Quote Originally Posted by MK81 View Post
    Thanks for the post Trusty, Philipp did a good job on the info update. I suppose if the team are learning how to do build the new platform as well as tie it in with other external systems it explains the timeframes.

Also, really glad to see that we'll be getting more of these kind of posts.

Just a quick cheeky question, have the scheduled recordings for the artillery audio samples been carried out yet?
    Yes, that's what philipp has spent a lot of time on this past year and a half.

No, the first artillery release will feature a great deal of placeholder sounds - you can thank the coronavirus for that. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Decimus Meridius View Post
    Every Arti officer would disagree that this is a gamebreaking bug
    sounds interesting but as an infantry officer i would not like to get annihilated due to infinite arti ammo
    whats the other one?

what i did not really get:

will be the new platform delivered with the artillery update or to a different time?

thanks for sharing
    Theoretically they could be released at the same time as we have no ETA for either. That's taking theory to the extreme though - it is vastly more likely that artillery is released well before the platform system is fully implemented.

- Trusty

USA Captain

So lets assume arty is in like a month, from then how long will it take for platform to be released? But I am excited and hope this will bring some good changes to the game.

Thanks for the update!