Thread: A question about Miller's Cornfield

USA Captain

A question about Miller's Cornfield

In a lot of stuff I have been reading it seems like the cornfield may be too high up, corn then would have been in all sizes but fairly short, and I have read that soldiers could see the enemy fairly clear due to the "checkered" pattern of corn, so I don't know but the Miller's Corn seems a bit too high and does not really follow the checkered pattern seen then.

Hi there!

Thanks for the feedback and question.

We feature taller cornstalks as this enables us to have a relatively low draw distance of our high detail cornstalk models (they are tall enough for you to not be able to see over them or too far into the field beyond them) which in turn allows us to use very performance friendly low detail billboards much sooner than what we'd be able to were we featuring short cornstalk models.

The cornstalks are tied to the ground material and prodecurally spawned by the engine. This is the same way in which much of our ground covering vegetation is spawned. While it drastically speeds up the level creation process (manually placing individual cornstalk models would probably quickly end up being million of actual plants (in other words a giant waste of time to do)) it does come with the drawback of not being able to be procedurally spawned in any kind of set pattern (all you control is the density of the procedural object and which ground material you wish it to spawn it on).

- Trusty