Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Artillery Progress & The Platform System Explained - May 2nd 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Poorlaggedman View Post
    Bolts (for rifled guns) were rare but solid shot for napoleons was used throughout the war. Bolts tended to tumble too much (like an American Football) while solid cannonballs tumbled and even rolled up inclines at lethal speeds.

Obviously there has to be some variation to fuzes or crews will just learn from experience the precise azimuth and range to fire at to whatever particular fenceline they are targeting.

It goes back to a concern I have about the actual use of the pieces in the game. You have your intended use and then you have what gamers (not reenactors) will naturally and rightfully do to compete.

What incentive does a gun crew really have to not lose their guns? Casualties aren't really factored into the score beyond team morale. What incentive does a team have to not just load pieces with canister, hide back, and wait 'til infantry come within range of where the guns will obviously be captured. If losses do count, will artillery just be a great nuisance drain for team morale to the teams as crews stick to their guns and get wrecked? In the real world if you lose all your horses or limbers you're losing serious war power, not just for the moment, for the campaign. Can opposing teams gun crews work guns? Can infantry steal guns? Why or why not. If there's going to be full compliments of batteries on the field (there are no full representation of regiments) why wouldn't a small artillery crew just load all the guns and wait 'til they get a good target?
    Hello!

I'm strictly speaking of the 3 inch ordnance rifle which will be the first useable cannon in WoR. It's limber chest content will of course differ from those of smoothbore guns.

You can hang back, yes - if you wish to spend the time and manpower hauling the guns and their limbers back. That is entirely up to you - it may prove to be a sound tactical choice sometimes.

Note that the rounds in the limber chests are limited in numbers. Once you've used the available 25 rounds (10 shell, 10 case and 5 canister) of the half section of the limber chest (the removeable tool tray, exposing the other half of the chest will be a future addition to the artillery and not part of the release) you are out of ammunition. So if you have any plans regarding using the cannons for their canister firepower only you're going to be limited to 5 shots per cannon/limber per round.

Yes, enemy artillery crews can use captured cannons/limbers. Infantry cannot but they can disable the "battery forward deployment" option by getting close to the initial deployment area of the battery in question with a few men. This area will be visible via the caissons in place there (not moveable) even if the guns and limbers have all been pushed away. We've opted not to allow infantry to interact with the cannons or limbers in any other way as we do not wish to see a meta develop where two thirds of the artillery crews are actually infantrymen (whom of course will be much better suited to defend against a surprise attack with their rifles and bayonets compared to the low damage dealing ramrod of the artillery crews).

We want the choice of sending infantrymen over to defend an exposed arty position to happen out of concern for the arty crews ability to manage man to man fighting.

- Trusty

Any chance of main spawn protection or changes in spawn areas to prevent spawns from getting targeted? It would be the most obvious target since you'd catch players congregating and loading for the first time throughout the course of the round. Once you have the range and azimuth you can practically fire indirectly in many situation confident the target won't change.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

Quote Originally Posted by Poorlaggedman View Post
    Any chance of main spawn protection or changes in spawn areas to prevent spawns from getting targeted? It would be the most obvious target since you'd catch players congregating and loading for the first time throughout the course of the round. Once you have the range and azimuth you can practically fire indirectly in many situation confident the target won't change.
    We'll take measures if/when that is going to happen but it won't be part of the initial artillery release, no.

- Trusty

USA General of the Army

Considering there are already maps where the enemy is able to shoot directly into spawn points, there is going to need to be some sort of protection for people spawning in.

USA Brigadier General

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Decimus Meridius View Post
    is there a difference between both privates or why are they separated?

https://youtu.be/hkjVkZ7_Ovo?t=19
    just a small bump on my question why there are 2 private classes
    http://www.warofrightsforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=522&dateline=14500460  02

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    just a small bump on my question why there are 2 private classes
    One comes with a coat, the other doesn't.

I dunno to be honest.

is there a difference between both privates or why are they separated?

https://youtu.be/hkjVkZ7_Ovo?t=19
    No they are identical. The 2nd private is a placeholder for future class variation, possibly to be added in later updates to the artillery system (could be a private with a worm/dry sponge tool when we support misfires/cannon damage, etc. in the future).

- Trusty

Hi Trusty,

I am a Ranger from the 52nd New York. My idea is to release arty already but ONLY for the drill camp. The arty at drill camp can life with the problems that arenīt yet fixed. So that the future arty crews can already form up, can drill and can send bug reports to CG. Since there are some problems to fix, we are all agreeing that arty for SKIRMISHES should only be released FULLY FUNCTIONALLY.

-Ranger Otto von Steuben

RhettVito
    Hey Devs, is there going to be an update to the draw distance for the artillery update At the moment the draw distance is what around 500 yards? Will that be expanded?

CSA Major

Draw distance for multiple user graphics settings is going to be tough to produce I would think, it's been a lingering question at the back of my mind as well.

I appreciate the video CFG, am glad to see the modification to the initial deployment options selection screen. I was wondering how that was going to look, not a lot different but seemed to fit for the next update from what I saw. The video had placeholder text and images for the primary and secondary weapon selection options, I realise that for some of the crew types these options may be limited to particular artillery equipment and tools, will the selection types be a choosen option or randomised? Will the weapon selection for the infantry in the next update still be randomised or will a chosen weapon be held when deployed if selected?
    Pvt. Kenah

For Southern Secession