Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Sad News From Richmond, Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by Sox View Post
    No, I was comparing neo nazi's & neo confederates, pretty certain that was quite clearly stated.
    Gent he sent that as a reply to me not you anyway done with this topic clearly it’s going nowhere.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by lmatts View Post
    I personally didn't go around calling rebels in the game 'sister f*****s' or 'cousin f*****s', but I hardly think that's on the same level as calling someone a 'n*****lover']
    Im sorry, but it's a refferencing a racial stereotype, so it's exactly the same. There are no varying degree's of racism.

Quote Originally Posted by TRaider View Post
    Do you celebrate the victories of Washington in the Revolution? Slavery was legal and Washington was a slave holder. Yet we rightly don’t demonize him and tear down his statue. He was a traitor to the crown and hero to us, just as the Confederates are heroes to those with southern heritage. History good or bad must stand as a reminder to future generations. All I’m getting at is let’s stop making this a black and white issue when it is far too complicated for that.
    Perfectly stated (although I'm English I would very much agree that Washington is worthy of celebration).

I may be naive on a few fronts, I don't dispute that - and I'm always up for learning - but for me and many others it's hard to see the CSA battle flag and monuments to CSA generals being displayed in public as anything other than honoring a legacy of racism. Slavery was one of the cornerstones of the CSA, and there's a reason it's illegal for anyone to fly that flag on our military installations today.
    It's good that you are 'always up for learning' so let's do a little of that shall we? Slavery- noun - the state of being a slave: the practice or system of owning slaves: a condition of having to work very hard without proper remuneration or appreciation. A 'slave' can be ANY race,creed or colour. A slave trader/owner can be any race, creed or colour. Many slave traders were African tribal chiefs who sold captives into slavery....were they racist as well? As Traider put it, ''There is something to be said about the duality of man, men like Lee just like us possess good and bad qualities. To look at only the bad things he has done isn’t really fair''. So is it not possible that those in the south who fly those flags, those who erect those statues, are celebrating brave men and NOT condoning slavery? Of course it's possible, in fact it's probable, but because you have made up your mind that those symbols represent racism....then that's set in stone? Here was I thinking that America was the land of the free.

The southern cross has become a symbol of racism all over the world, go after those who FLY it as such. The likes of the KKK and all the neo groups, THEY are the ones who tarnish America's heritage.
    ''I'm here to play an American Civil War era combat game, not Call of Duty with muskets.''.

Well at least we can all agree that this topic is going nowhere, and that racism and slavery is wrong.

The beginning and end of my argument is that, as new to the online gaming scene, the racism I ran into while playing WoR (and I'm sure in other games, but again I don't have much experience) is despicable and I can't just tell myself 'oh it's just trolls, ignore them' - for me personally it's enough of a reason to return the computer I bought to play the game and go do something else instead. I played for 38 hours total, if it was an isolated problem I would hope that it would take a lot more playing time to run into it repeatedly. It took me from excited to play the game to bummed out. A way of kicking such people out of the public servers would be great, that's all.

CSA Major

lmatts, i really wish you would have joined, or experienced a Company for Regiment play. The way the game was designed to play from the ground up. No racism,or trolls, or mindless combat or ramboing. Its basically a 150 man digital reenactment. Soon to be 200 players.

If you ever come back, please look into it, you will be glad you did.

Cheers.

How in the world did we end up talking about race???

Seems like nobody really cares.

I got this information directly from the UDC themselves as I know two people affiliated with the organization.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/ne...-Virginia.html

I saw that the question was asked "Why didn't the police stop it?" Well my answer for that is they had to literally fight their way there so the fire department could put the fire out.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/ne...-Virginia.html

You won't find any news articles about the artifacts because it hasn't been reported on.

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedDNA View Post
    lmatts, i really wish you would have joined, or experienced a Company for Regiment play. The way the game was designed to play from the ground up. No racism,or trolls, or mindless combat or ramboing. Its basically a 150 man digital reenactment. Soon to be 200 players.

If you ever come back, please look into it, you will be glad you did.

Cheers.
    Thank you kindly good sir! That sounds amazing - I'll start saving for another computer so I can join the fun in the way it was meant to be!

Quote Originally Posted by Sox View Post
    ^^^^ case in point. This player condems Robert E Lee out of hand, obviously without knowing anything about the man, or his motivations.
    That's not correct. I condemn him in hand. I Know plenty about him, and I know that he wanted to keep Virginia free and that he himself, it is said, hated slavery. And yet he still gave his blood, sweat and tears for the right to own people.

Saying he was a "good" man and a great general and was polite to the ladies and was really just a man who loved Virginia, doesn't change what he was fighting for.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpytoo View Post
    That's not correct. I condemn him in hand. I Know plenty about him, and I know that he wanted to keep Virginia free and that he himself, it is said, hated slavery. And yet he still gave his blood, sweat and tears for the right to own people.

Saying he was a "good" man and a great general and was polite to the ladies and was really just a man who loved Virginia, doesn't change what he was fighting for.
    Agreed.

For the record, I think it is fair to compare the Confederacy to Nazi Germany - both started wars (that they lost) based on racial arrogance - and yes I know the soldiers who fought for them weren't always willing or enthusiastic supporters of their causes. The holocaust was horrific but the Jewish people don't have a monopoly on suffering, black children were shackled and branded for hundreds of years.

I hope we can have an open minded, civil conversation about these subjects without resorting to condescending dictionary definitions. I realize slavery has been around as long as humans have, but in the 'land of the free' with 'justice and liberty for all' it should be different if we're espousing such ideals. At a BLM rally in my town a bunch of dudes showed up with AR15s to 'defend' the town from our crowd of peaceful people who believe systemic racism needs to stop. They just found a monkey hanging from a noose one town over, so those are the kind of people who fly the CSA battle flag where I live... I hope you'll forgive me for not thinking they're celebrating brave men.
    Last edited by lmatts; 06-10-2020 at 11:07 PM. Reason: typo

Agreed.

For the record, I think it is fair to compare the Confederacy to Nazi Germany - both started wars (that they lost) based on racial arrogance - and yes I know the soldiers who fought for them weren't always willing or enthusiastic supporters of their causes. The holocaust was horrific but the Jewish people don't have a monopoly on suffering, black children were shackled and branded for hundreds of years.

I hope we can have an open minded, civil conversation about these subjects without resorting to condescending dictionary definitions. I realize slavery has been around as long as humans have, but in the 'land of the free' with 'justice and liberty for all' it should be different if we're espousing such ideals. At a BLM rally in my town a bunch of dudes showed up with AR15s to 'defend' the town from our crowd of peaceful people who believe systematic racism needs to stop. They just found a monkey hanging from a noose one town over, so those are the kind of people who fly the CSA battle flag where I live... I hope you'll forgive me for not thinking they're celebrating brave men.
    You're free to express your opinion and that's just what it is. Do you mean systemic racism?
    Last edited by TRaider; 06-10-2020 at 11:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TRaider View Post
    You're free to express your opinion and that's just what it is. Do you mean systemic racism?
    I do, cheers.