Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sad News From Richmond, Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by A. Bravo View Post
    Everything, every human act, is politics in a way. The murder of Floyd is politics. So if you say these "opportunists" are "politically driven", you can't unlink their acts from the crime that triggered all this chaos. If you think it's just "ordinary crime", then you can't link it with some ideas I presume you don't like. You can't have it all so it fixes exactly with your political views.

The destruction of these precious objects is a very sad and unjustifiable thing. A human life is way more precious than a thousand flags.
    Bless your heart.

100% agree with A. Bravo.

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedDNA View Post
    Another sad day for Richmond, as the democratic governor, announced plans to seek the removal of a statue of Gen. Robert E. Lee, as well as other Confederate monuments along Monument Avenue, which include statues of Confederate President Jefferson Davis and Confederate Gens. Stonewall Jackson and J.E.B. Stuart.
    Put them all in a museum for those who want to admire them there. History is important. You don't see swastikas all over Germany though, does that mean they are erasing their history? I had ancestors fight on both sides of the Civil War, but I can't say I'm proud of my ancestors who fought to keep owning other human beings as property. Put the statues in a museum so people can learn.

Quote Originally Posted by lmatts View Post
    Put them all in a museum for those who want to admire them there. History is important. You don't see swastikas all over Germany though, does that mean they are erasing their history? I had ancestors fight on both sides of the Civil War, but I can't say I'm proud of my ancestors who fought to keep owning other human beings as property. Put the statues in a museum so people can learn.
    Hey bud they were in a museum when the museum was looted. Since museums aren’t safe where do you recommend they go? I’m referring to the battle flag that was destroyed and the other artifacts that were stolen from a museum.
    Last edited by TRaider; 06-04-2020 at 06:39 PM.

100% agree with A. Bravo.
    Also congratulations on the 1st post welcome to the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRaider View Post
    Also congratulations on the 1st post welcome to the forum.
    I'm hoping you're not being sarcastic, but thank you, good to be here.
    Looting and destruction of museums (or businesses, or anything) is terrible in any shape, and should never happen, I'm not excusing that at all. The cops should have stopped the destruction, peaceful protest is the only way to go. I feel like museums are usually pretty secure, it's terrible that artifacts got burned and stolen (as per my comment agreeing with A. Bravo).

I've been obsessed with Civil War history since I was a kid, I was a re-enactor back in the day and finally got to play WoR recently - it's super fun and the tactics are great, but it really turns me off when I get killed by Confederates and they come shouting 'n*****lover' and other racial slurs over my digital corpse. I guess that's somehow historically accurate though... it just sucks to know it's still so widespread.

Looting and destruction of museums (or businesses, or anything) is terrible in any shape, and should never happen, I'm not excusing that at all. The cops should have stopped the destruction, peaceful protest is the only way to go. I feel like museums are usually pretty secure, it's terrible that artifacts got burned and stolen (as per my comment agreeing with A. Bravo).

I've been obsessed with Civil War history since I was a kid, I was a re-enactor back in the day and finally got to play WoR recently - it's super fun and the tactics are great, but it really turns me off when I get killed by Confederates and they come shouting 'n*****lover' and other racial slurs over my digital corpse. I guess that's somehow historically accurate though... it just sucks to know it's still so widespread.
    Well this community has it’s fair share of trolls that play on both sides in pub matches. If you’re in organized unit events you’re not going to hear that non sense.

Basic human emotions are very widespread, yes. People will dig under your skin when they can. Online it's usually called trolling. Don't let your world view be shaped by trolls, good Lord. I have a lot of opinions on this and they're spot on. We're basically just seeing yet another threshold be met in communication technology and it's tearing society apart and people are being overly influenced by all the hate. There were underlying reasons the Civil War happened but it actually occurred (people actually showed up to fight) because of flourishing newspapers. Each new technology of connectiveness drives us more and more insane.

Sad loss indeed. This is why I'm hugely in favor of digitizing collections thoroughly so they can be enjoyed after they're gone. It sickens me how so much CW history, photographs and manuscripts, are held in private collections and controlled like copyrighted content for the amusement or profit of the holders. Many historical societies do this as well. So the collections are vulnerable to being lost and scattered to the wind. I was just dealing with a museum that was very adamant that they own every photograph of a specific item in their collection when that simply isn't true. It's bad enough to lose the items but to have the holder constrain and restrict any visual duplication is asinine.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

CSA Major

The first thing i do in pub matches, is mute EVERYBODY, except for the officers on my team. Then I mute everybody else on the other team. The constant chatter and music spamming is enough to drive me mental if I don't. And with the silence, I can get my head wrapped into the game....
    Last edited by TwistedDNA; 06-05-2020 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedDNA View Post
    The first thing i do in pub matches, is mute EVERYBODY, except for the officers on my team. Then I mute everybody else on the other team. The constant chatter and music spamming is enough to drive me mental if I don't. And with the silence, I can get my head wrapped into the game....
    Those are good points, thank you, gentlemen - I'm not much of a gamer and I actually bought a PC just to play War of Rights - I ended up returning it, mostly because I was so disgusted with the racism and white supremacy I encountered from some players in the game. I don't have any experience at all playing big online games like this, so I didn't have anything to compare it to. It just felt so related to the game.
    Muting people (excepting officers) right off the bat is a great idea, and joining a unit to avoid public server games is another good one. I've only played about 38 hours of the game, and I want to give the developers the props they deserve for creating it without the game being blemished by trolls. I'm hoping that people like me (non-racist, historically fascinated by the Civil War period, and enjoy shooting my black powder rifle in real life) are the sorts of folks the devs want coming to play the game, but especially in these times it's hard to stomach any kind of racism when I could be doing something constructive to change the shameful status quo here in the US. I've been writing and calling all my local politicians to ask for their support in denouncing white supremacy, attending peaceful protests and supporting black owned businesses... basically, literally the least I can do.
    I know this diatribe is not exactly in keeping with the thread, but it's what's been on my mind and I would enthusiastically support a more obviously visible message from the developers denouncing racism.
    Again, I appreciate the feedback from y'all and I hope to re-join you in the game soon.