Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sad News From Richmond, Virginia

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by lmatts View Post
    Those are good points, thank you, gentlemen - I'm not much of a gamer and I actually bought a PC just to play War of Rights - I ended up returning it, mostly because I was so disgusted with the racism and white supremacy I encountered from some players in the game. I don't have any experience at all playing big online games like this, so I didn't have anything to compare it to. It just felt so related to the game.
    Muting people (excepting officers) right off the bat is a great idea, and joining a unit to avoid public server games is another good one. I've only played about 38 hours of the game, and I want to give the developers the props they deserve for creating it without the game being blemished by trolls. I'm hoping that people like me (non-racist, historically fascinated by the Civil War period, and enjoy shooting my black powder rifle in real life) are the sorts of folks the devs want coming to play the game, but especially in these times it's hard to stomach any kind of racism when I could be doing something constructive to change the shameful status quo here in the US. I've been writing and calling all my local politicians to ask for their support in denouncing white supremacy, attending peaceful protests and supporting black owned businesses... basically, literally the least I can do.
    I know this diatribe is not exactly in keeping with the thread, but it's what's been on my mind and I would enthusiastically support a more obviously visible message from the developers denouncing racism.
    Again, I appreciate the feedback from y'all and I hope to re-join you in the game soon.
    See Devs! Another sale/player lost! You need to put a vote/kick option for public servers ASAP! If this was my first experience with the game, I would uninstall as well. I stated that in another post about toxic players. Are you guys even still there? One update per year is not cutting it any longer!

Your diatribe is much appreciated, and needs to be known. This game is being ruined daily by toxic players, and the community deserves tools for self policing in public play. Devs need to address this asap!

At this development rate, and no way to police public play, this game may soon be abandoned by most players before we even get out of alpha! Three years in Alpha now!
    Last edited by TwistedDNA; 06-05-2020 at 06:13 PM.

but it's what's been on my mind and I would enthusiastically support a more obviously visible message from the developers denouncing racism.
    I’m surprised that one would even have to be asked of us. Racism is idiotic. It’s a left over tribal mentality still showing its ugly head. Campfire Games is an international team spread out across the globe (we’ve had team members from most of Europe, Syria, Egypt, Thailand and of course the States in our time as a studio so far) We’re globalists and so any kind of racial outlook upon things doesn’t even factor into our organization.

- Trusty

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    I’m surprised that one would even have to be asked of us. Racism is idiotic. It’s a left over tribal mentality still showing its ugly head. Campfire Games is an international team spread out across the globe (we’ve had team members from most of Europe, syria, egypt and of course the states in our time as a studio so far) We’re globalists and so any kind of racial outlook upon things doesn’t even factor into our organization.

- Trusty
    Thank you Trusty, I appreciate your response and the international team. Racism is indeed idiotic, but that doesn't change the fact that there seems to be a problem with it on the public servers in WoR. I know you can't spend all your time policing them, you've got work to do - but in my short time playing, it can be an experience that ruins the game. It's not made obvious anywhere that I've seen that racism isn't welcome in the game, that's all I'm trying to say. Especially as it's a game reflecting a(nother) racially tumultuous time in our US history.
    I also appreciate the globalist outlook, I speak three languages and have lived abroad, I get it - and massive props to the devs working out of an actual war zone (Syria) to work on a war game, that's amazing.

CSA Major

lmatts, if you haven't already, you should consider joining a regiment. You will enjoy the game and it's game play as it was designed. Using tactics, and proper 150 man line battles, on pass-worded servers with admins present. I can't speak for other regiments, but the regiment I am apart of, does not tolerate any racism in any form in game, or on our public server.

However, regiment play is usually limited to a few hours during the weekend. So pub play is the only option during the week. Some private servers do a decent job at policing, if admins are playing. Again, you can always mute whoever you wish while in game.

What you can't do sadly is, vote/kick tker's, flag trolls, officer trolls, rambo's, etc....
    Last edited by TwistedDNA; 06-05-2020 at 08:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedDNA View Post
    lmatts, if you haven't already, you should consider joining a regiment. You will enjoy the game and it's game play as it was designed. Using tactics, and proper 150 man line battles, on pass-worded servers with admins present. I can't speak for other regiments, but the regiment I am apart of, does not tolerate any racism in any form in game, or on our public server.

However, regiment play is usually limited to a few hours during the weekend. So pub play is the only option during the week. Some private servers do a decent job at policing, if admins are playing. Again, you can always mute whoever you wish while in game.

What you can't do sadly is, vote/kick tker's, flag trolls, officer trolls, rambo's, etc....
    Thank you very kindly sir, that's a good way to go. From the videos I've seen of 150 man line battles on Youtube, they look like a blast (pun intended). When I buy myself a PC just to play this game again, I will join a regiment so I can play it the way it was meant to be played!

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedDNA View Post
    The first thing i do in pub matches, is mute EVERYBODY, except for the officers on my team. Then I mute everybody else on the other team. The constant chatter and music spamming is enough to drive me mental if I don't. And with the silence, I can get my head wrapped into the game....
    To be honest, playing an online team-based game as if it were a single player game (or a cooperative game that you play with a couple of buddies, at most) seems to me like a waste. You miss the social component, and even some important gameplay component, because your communication with your fellow privates is also important, and everybody should be calling enemy activity out, for example. But to each his own, of course.

I quit public servers almost as soon as I joined a regiment, and I only played a few times as CSA... but I don't think it's a coincidence that every single time I did, both the chat and the voice chat had their own share of racist slur and stupid debates over the legitimacy on the rebel cause or even more ridiculous claims like some marxist-black-antiamerican threat, lol. I don't know how this could be solved (if at all), I guess there will always be stupid, ignorant people, and internet will always provide them a safe place where to throw up their intellectual misery without facing laughs, a beating or legal consequences, as it would happen in real life.

So bottom line is to me, organized regiments are the way this game is supposed to be played. The way is most enjoyable, the way their main features shine the most. I understand how many people can't/don't want to commit with such organized play though (I myself was very reluctant because, over many years of online gaming, I've come to the conclusion that, while people is the best part of it, more often than not it's also the worst part of it, and there are games/clans where the leaders truly think they are your boss and can treat you like a child or, worse, like a slave). Sadly, you sometimes have to accept there are things that are not for you, for one reason or another. Fortunately, there are plenty of games out there to satisfy every taste, need and playstyle.

I honestly don’t think white supremacy is an issue in this game it’s obviously trolls being a meme of what they believe a confederate soldier would act like. Which is far from reality of the average rank and file soldiers on both sides of the war.

Quote Originally Posted by TRaider View Post
    I honestly don’t think white supremacy is an issue in this game it’s obviously trolls being a meme of what they believe a confederate soldier would act like. Which is far from reality of the average rank and file soldiers on both sides of the war.
    I obviously haven't played the game for as many hours as many others have, but from A. Bravo's previous comment and my short time playing it, there sure appears to be a white supremacy issue with some players, which tends to manifest itself more on the CSA side. It's unfortunate, but it seems we can't all have the respectful and honorable attitude of our brother TwistedDNA. Of course there are trolls, who just try to rile us up, I've seen a bit of that on the Union side while playing - but a game depicting this time period is unfortunately going to act as a magnet for racists to air their views in a forum they deem as acceptable. In my opinion it should be made clear to them that it is not.

In my view, the fact that the game's developers are globally minded and believe speaking out against racism isn't in their purview is a bit naive - the racially charged history of this country has to be considered, especially when its legacy is alive and well.

To get closer to the start of this thread, I wonder if Robert E. Lee's descendant voicing his support for the removal of his ancestor's statue from the public square is a worthy enough argument - if the feelings of all people of color on the issue are to be ignored, hopefully at least the opinion of Lee's descendant is more worthy of consideration.

In my view, the fact that the game's developers are globally minded and believe speaking out against racism isn't in their purview is a bit naive - the racially charged history of this country has to be considered, especially when its legacy is alive and well.
    Yeah I think you are probably right there - although being a dane and not an american means that my outlook on things are obviously rooted in me being a dane. I'm sure they differ slightly to an american outlook but even so I would imagine you'd have a hard time finding any company in the states not agreeing that racism is self evidently bad (maybe that's where my naivity or rather danish outlook comes into play, I don't know).

To me it's in the similar vein of asking us to announce that murder or rape is no good - again self evident in my book but we're of course happy to clarify our stance on matters if people think it is needed.

- Trusty

Back on topic: Can you link to where you got this information? I've searched the news and haven't found anything saying what was destroyed in the fire. I haven't seen anything reference the specific battle flag you're speaking of.