Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Public Test: Artillery - Now Open!

USA General of the Army

It seems stable for now. Biggest bugs we ran into was a cannon firing a second time while rolling back, shells hitting an object and deflecting straight down, sometimes cannons couldn't be moved, when there is one round left in the limber it wont let you pick it up and guns sliding around. One thing we really need is fine control over elevation and windage, you barely tap the key and raise the barrel quite a bit. One other thing that would be nice in a bounding box for the primer. When you move to the position you think you need to be to clear the wheels you have to prime again, its pretty annoying.

I guess my only question is how often are hot fixes going to come out ? I’ve uninstalled the update and the game at least twice and still get stuck in ‘establishing context’.

I'm not sure if this is just me but I can't see the server on the testing branch anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Da Garden Chair View Post
    I'm not sure if this is just me but I can't see the server on the testing branch anymore.
    It crashed during the night and we just had to collect some debug information. It is back up and running now

USA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by WreckeRalph View Post
    I guess my only question is how often are hot fixes going to come out ? I’ve uninstalled the update and the game at least twice and still get stuck in ‘establishing context’.
    We had some members that had to swap back and forth from the beta mode a few times.

We had some other members that just validating files twice would work for them.

I did a full uninstall, install beta branch only, validate twice, and could log in finally.

A few others have noted to lower all graphics settings would work.

RhettVito
    Here's a little list of stuff I would think will improve the artillery gameplay. First off I would have to say when the gun recoils anyone standing behind the wheels or behind the gun, in other words, would receive a quick lesson in physics and would be pretty much thrown to the ground and would receive some damage that would stop too many people from corralling around a gun at one time.

With artillery I think a system that calculates for the number of people that are on the server for how many slots can be used by artillery, for instance, I would honestly say that artillery should be at a maximum of 15 people for a 75 man team on a 150 man server that would leave you 60 slots for your Infantry. Now for a 200 man server then that can be bumped up to 20 man artillery per 100 man team. That way you can still have 80 Infantry.
    Next up I would say slow down the reload slightly at the current moment I feel like the sponging step is just a little too fast maybe for that to be slightly slow down but that's just a small nitpick.

Another thing I would like to see implemented would be the step to where you have to cover the vent hole with the thumb stall I don't know if that's a planned feature but I know that the pricking the vent is a planned one maybe a little insight on that?. Possibility to load double canister?
    The only other thing I could think of would be catastrophic failure and destruction of the artillery themself and fence destruction but that's all planned features. Lastly, cannoneers should have the option to press 1 and not have the sponge in their hand. It's a little crazy when you have 15 people with sponges. but I think that would be balanced out once we have the worm implement in also.

Overall it was an enjoyable experience but I honestly think that class limits with artillery would save public play without it every public battle will be exactly like what was exhibited today
    Last edited by RhettVito; 06-18-2020 at 12:04 PM.

Firstly my congratulations on implementing a major change to the game. After 14 years doing this in real life I can honestly say that you gentlemen got it pretty close. (No.3 on a Howitzer, although served my time on a Parrott too)

I have a question regarding the elevation screw. More than one of us is having issues with it, as it seems to jump from 50 yards up to 400 yards very very easily. Is this an issues others have had or is this just some of us? i.e.. is it lag/desync or even my mechanical keyboard being a bit awkward? In real life it takes a few turns, you can get a pretty decent degree of precision once you know what you're doing.

Perhaps adding the option for someone to add the pendulum sight for more precise aiming too? (Gunners could choose to use it or not, using it slows the process down but aids in accuracy while not using it mean faster rate of fire but you don't know quite as well where you're aiming?)

Regarding the loading process, as a No.3 myself, well vent prick anyone? I get the whole not wanting someone standing round with a thumbstall for the whole process (the boring part) but a simple one hand up and pierce the bag before the No.4 adds the primer? (might also help people slow their rate of fire so they have a few case shot left for that final push...)

Either way well done gentlemen. I didn't notice very many issues other than not being able to join in. All in all looking forward to runing my guys and gals though battery drills!

edited to add: The rate of fire seems reasonable - given that at present not having to worm first, then wet sponge > dry sponge. 3 shots in 2 minutes or 1 shot per minute are both historically accurate and sustainable, I think the big issue is that so far in testing everyone is going for maximum rate of fire rather than spending time aiming and correcting fall of shot. Adding the extra steps of piercing the bag, the worming, wet sponge then dry sponge etc. adds to the emersion as well as helping conserve shots. I personally don't think slowing down the animations is needed if these added tasks are factored in. Adding the sight and taking the time to aim would cut the rate of fire in half but mean that rather than just throwing shots down range you hit more often...

Once more, thanks gent - good job and keep it up!
    Last edited by Spud; 06-18-2020 at 12:29 PM. Reason: added extra comment
    Coke's battery, The Williamsburg Light Artillery, 1st Virginia Artillery Regiment

Quote Originally Posted by Spud View Post
    Firstly my congratulations on implementing a major change to the game. After 14 years doing this in real life I can honestly say that you gentlemen got it pretty close. (No.3 on a Howitzer, although served my time on a Parrott too)

I have a question regarding the elevation screw. More than one of us is having issues with it, as it seems to jump from 50 yards up to 400 yards very very easily. Is this an issues others have had or is this just some of us? i.e.. is it lag/desync or even my mechanical keyboard being a bit awkward? In real life it takes a few turns, you can get a pretty decent degree of precision once you know what you're doing.
    Thank you!

The dynamic fuze system tied to the elevation screw is not only tied to the elevation screw. If it was you'd not be able to account for height differences between you and your target (meaning your round would detonate, say, 100 yards above your target if you were on a steep hill and your target wasn't).

Therefore, the system also casts out a ray from the barrel, hitting the ground and calculating the correct fuze time based on the distance to that ground hit so it can set the fuze correctly to detonate just prior to it hitting the target - until you elevate the barrel (and its cast ray) enough to not hit the ground anymore. Once that happens the fuze length will be calculated based on the elevation angle of the screw and you'll see the jump in range and fuze time.

- Trusty

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    Thank you!

The dynamic fuze system tied to the elevation screw is not only tied to the elevation screw. If it was you'd not be able to account for height differences between you and your target (meaning your round would detonate, say, 100 yards above your target if you were on a steep hill and your target wasn't).

Therefore, the system also casts out a ray from the barrel, hitting the ground and calculating the correct fuze time based on the distance to that ground hit so it can set the fuze correctly to detonate just prior to it hitting the target - until you elevate the barrel (and its cast ray) enough to not hit the ground anymore. Once that happens the fuze length will be calculated based on the elevation angle of the screw and you'll see the jump in range and fuze time.

- Trusty
    Ok now that makes much more sense!

Thank you!
    Coke's battery, The Williamsburg Light Artillery, 1st Virginia Artillery Regiment

Hello! I love the public test so far! Absolutely fantastic! And at least I know who/what to blame when I get hit by an arty shell now!

Now I'm not an expert on how game development works, so please ignore my idea if it wouldn't make much difference.

Anyway, I'd like to make an argument for implementing caps for artillery branch spots for the test. With the numbers the public test has been drawing, applying an artilleryman cap would force greater numbers of people into infantry. With this, it is possible that some bugs, big and small, could be discovered in a variety of areas, from ticket calculations to possible crashes when a line of 40 or 50 guys are wiped by canister. Plus it would give you guys the ability to assess the frequency of TKs by artillery in a normal match.

I know there are good reasons for not applying a cap now, but I thought I'd toss an idea out!