Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Public Test: Artillery - Now Open!

Yeah, an artillary cap would definitely help. And once server size is increased to 200, the slots take by artillarymen won’t detract from the space normally occupied by infantryman due to the increased cap size.
    2nd Lt. Szalai Mihaly, 1st New Jersey, Company A

CSA Captain

So I've noticed that as soon as the crew starts moving the gun it places the officer out of line and the count down starts. It doesn't matter how close the officer stays to the gun crew. Also noticed that you can not see the artillery hits though the binoculars which makes spotting for a crew hard.
    Last edited by Stone; 06-20-2020 at 07:54 AM.

My personal Feedback for now

Here are lists of problems and bugs i encountered while playing, some suggestions and some positive feedback. Ive written in a bit of a hurry so its messy. I also dont know most of the specific terms of the artillery pieces. Here we go...

Ive had the following problems up until now:
    -Limber Chest Wagon doesn't stick with the terrain, meaning it floats partially sometimes, could be that this happens to guns too, i only remember seeing it with the carts though.
    -Limber Chest Problem of lables of the Rounds already expended showing up. When pressing F on them the picking up animation plays but youve got nothing in your hands afterwards.
    -Variation of the Problem above. When pressing F on an empty Lable in the bottom Left corner the animation plays for upper right corner (and also sometimes picks up nothing)
    -The interaction Lables are difficult to get to sometimes, meaning you have to stand in an exact spot to be able to interact. Alternatively you (for example) stand in position to insert the round, your colleague isnt done with sponging but the lable for inserting round shows up already. When hes done swiping the barrel and i want to insert the round the lable isnt there anymore even though i havent moved and i have to move around a little.
    -The gun (and the people handling it) are half burried. They plop out of the ground sometimes, as if nothig happened.
    -People get launched into the air sometimes. Once it was confirmed to me that the person flying acctualy flyed and twice i don't know if it was just my game.
    -Guns and wagons slide around sometimes, often when it is being moved by one person and another either joins in or tries to interact with it in different ways (piking up the 'steering mechanism' or spongeing).
    -Im not able to shut down the game entirely, meaning i have to restart the PC to launch it again
    -Animations are not alinged correctly (but thats a problem that exists for a long time already)

Some suggestions:
    -Maybe make it possible for infantry to move the piece as well
    -Make it possible for the person on the 'steering meachism' to move the piece forwards and backwars as well (although slower to still encourage team play)
    -Take ascending/descending terrain into account with speed.
    -Make the smoke of fired cannons visible further (or at least with higher settings, that may introduce exploitation of graphics though)
    -Better draw distance
    -The limber chest problem needs to be adressed
    -As far as im aware artillery officesrs dont get binoculars, but i might be wrong on that.
    -Add the possibility to tear down other fences and clear haystacks, that still stand (but maybe not on the 'small' skirmish maps but only on the full map)
    -Damage or falling for standing in the way of a recoiling gun
    -The possibility of catastrophic failure or random firing of the gun that is increased by improper maintenance and the possibility of explosion of the limber cart if it is too close to a firing gun or exploding shell (a direct hit too off course) and a spark gets in.
    -The stick-your-thumb-on-that-hole thing (idk the name of that) also playing inot the point above.
    -A way to resuply (but that may come later for the historical battle thing where (i hope) logistics also play a role) as, as ive heard, those batteries expended a shit load of ammunition.
    -I think a introduction of some sort of artillery cap can have its pros (but also cons e.g. limiting 'tactical freedom')

The stuff that i love already
    -I really love that you simulated the smoke sticking to the ground after firing a gun.
    -The moving animations look good (and the other interactions too, if they align correctly)
    -It is, as far as i know surprisingly stable
    -The artillery rounds flying past are really scary and it gets wonderfully intense if the opposing side barrages you
    -The explosion (and impact) effects (on the ground and in the air) look good
    -The firing looks really good (if youre close enough)
    -The sound of firing is good (although i think it could be louder, especcially if youre close by)
    -Its really bloody and the use of the torn appart body model is apropriate too, i think
    -The impact of shells on buildings (ive oly seen one photo of that, on dunkers) looks good (although destructible environment would still be a dream of probalby a lot of people coming true)

As a first test run with as i undestand still a lot of rough edges that will be smoothend with the Crash and Bug Reports and Feedback from the community and a lot of stuff that isn't yet implemented this is really good and im very happy with it. The suggestions i made probably cover some of those things that are already planned but not implemented yet and are too just rough ideas.
    With best regards
    IX-9th NY A VPvt. Würm, ive gotta go test some more

CSA Major

Is it possible to map the elevation screw to mouse scroll wheel?

Quote Originally Posted by Würm View Post
    -The stick-your-thumb-on-that-hole thing (idk the name of that) also playing inot the point above.
    The thumb thingy is called a thumbstall and the hole is called the vent.

CSA Captain

I could go with thumb thingy
    Texas Poppin B
    My Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/c/SarisTX

USA General of the Army

So far the most annoying parts are the guns sliding around, which happens when you start interacting with the gun while it is moving, not being able to get rounds out of the limber, and the "prime cannon" and "elevation screw" being so close together. The priming wire is a lot better, so is the elevation adjustment.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley View Post
    The thumb thingy is called a thumbstall and the hole is called the vent.
    Thanks

I'm loving the Artillery it adds a new spice to the game.

However, I wanted to say I noticed that if you are using binoculars to spot guide shots it's all invisible. If this is already a known issue I apologize for saying it again. But it sort of makes the Artillery Officer useless since he cant see the shot's trail or smoke/impact with binoculars. Me and a few buddies tested this so I hope we aren't the only ones who noticed.

USA General of the Army

There's also a bug where smoke trails are zig zagging making it impossible to know where the rounds are going.