Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Public Game Feels More Chaotic Than Ever

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    You can press T to see the markers of your NCO's provided they are in formation and use that as a reference point in order to locate your line again.

- Trusty

That’s like an improvisation or work-around though, and doesn’t address the real issue. It’s not game-breaking by any means but it is frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy-Jim-Bob-Jr View Post
    It seems random sometimes. One match they play well, the next not...
    Yes its random, but way too often it is chaotic.

I think WoR is at the point where we should acknowledge we have two distinctive game types - the private server Game comprised of regiments who can navigate a lot of the game limitations due to better communication because they’re all on Discord and train together, and the Public game which IMO is still very rudimentary and lacking in direction.

There’s so many features, tools and QOL things that could and should be added to enhance public gameplay. Done properly they wouldn’t detract from it’s authentic feel.

I get the vibe CG see the core foundations of the game as in place and the public game will always be a bit of a basket case and will have to do the best it can - understandable I guess since most of the backers are into the private regiment scene.

CSA Captain

I'm not quite sure what you're expecting, it's par for the course that public servers (I can't think of one good example) are shody at best, in general. As already stated, WoR lacks even the rudimentary features to get organized so here, more so than usual, chaos often ensues. I've said before I've always thought that CG made a big mistake locking this game into first person because it's a game that depends heavily on being organized....line formations would be so much easier in third person. Like Quaker says, until tools are added to make getting organized easier I really can't see public play improving.
    Last edited by Sox; 08-07-2020 at 11:15 PM.
    ''I'm here to play an American Civil War era combat game, not Call of Duty with muskets.''.

CSA Captain

Generally it is why I joined a regiment due to the structure and organization. The public servers can be fun but there is a reason they are public as anyone can join. I have had good games and some not so great games
    . Artillery will wear off after a while.

Howdy, i've been officering on the Public servers on and off since it became early access on steam,

In my recent experience the discipline and organisation on public servers usually ranges from mediocre to excellent but i have not seen a complete collapse of the command structure recently as of yet, and there are a group of 20 or so folks who regularly take officer who seem to keep the public matches running smoothly.

Its less hit or miss, its just getting enough players on a pub server so that having an officer actually commanding people becomes remotely useful (e.g over 50 people on 1 server)
    Famous last words in public matches: "Are those cannons are aiming at us??"

As Trusty said it's most likely due to the huge influx of players. You need a good leader to control pubbies.
    The rightful ruler of the HRE, Holy Sloth.

I haven't set foot in a server since late May (I'll be back) but I lamented about this same issue. More than any new golden goose feature (which clanners clamor for) we need organizational tools which would benefit every situation. You should not have to bring your own army to play the game. That fact will forever stifle the growth and reach of this game. The act of organizing should be fluid as hell. Leaders can absolutely be random, but they have to be accountable to the players they lead. It boggles my mind I know right now if I go into a server it's just some slob running the show who picked a role that gets a pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by Whistler View Post
    Having experienced this with other games, now is the time to fight for the soul of the community, and veterans are who need to do it, really. Like Lightfoot points out, the veterans will want to, instead of setting the tone and culture for newcomers, retreat to company passworded servers, and that can honestly lead to the toxic demise of a community quicker than you might think. Im glad we are talking about it.
    Who is this guy, I like him. That's not me FYI. I'm not the only guy who thinks like this. I've watched this disaster before. Call yourself special and unique all you want. If the public gameplay dies, the community dies. If you need passworded servers to play properly, you're screwed. If you have to bring your own army to play right, you're on the road to being screwed. This community has more servers now than ever before and yet it's still a fraction of what it should be. Requiring a set place and time to play is a disaster. Randoms don't operate like that. There's a lot more randoms out there than anyone else. Stifling the flow of new players to the game is horrible policy. We're going on our 4th year of this.
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 09-21-2020 at 06:38 AM.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

Quote Originally Posted by Poorlaggedman View Post
    If you need passworded servers to play properly, you're screwed. If you have to bring your own army to play right, you're on the road to being screwed. This community has more servers now than ever before and yet it's still a fraction of what it should be. Requiring a set place and time to play is a disaster. Randoms don't operate like that. There's a lot more randoms out there than anyone else. Stifling the flow of new players to the game is horrible policy. We're going on our 4th year of this.
    Look, poorlaggedman, I see your side of the issue, I really do. However, it just really is more fun to play in an organized setting. If we let pubbies into organized events, they will rambo and die out of line, causing us to loose. The ticket system is so that if one pubbie runs away from the line and dies, hes worth 5 in formation deaths. This is why we go to locked servers. Pubbies wont listen, and games are won or lost by out of lines.

This is not to say that public games are not important, merely to say that its more fun in organized gameplay. Would it be better if public matches were more organized? Sure. I'm sure no "clanner", as you call it, wants public play to die either. That's how we get most of our recruits LOL.

Pubbies won't listen because there is no actual incentive to listen. I guarantee you if there was a mechanic i.e officer selections or bigger buffs to staying in formation then public players would definitely listen to each other and would be nearly as disciplined as clans. Clan organized games are more organized with tighter rulesets because everybody going into those matches are going in with the knowledge of what they're getting into.