Thread: Changing username in .cfg and VAC ban concerns?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

CSA Captain

Changing username in .cfg and VAC ban concerns?

Hello, I was reviewing a video that it is possible to change your username displayed in war of rights without changing your actual Steam name. I am in a regiment which requires tags however I am looking at playing a different game which I am also required to use tags.

Would there be concerns of a VAC ban for using the .cfg file in my steamlibrary folder for War Of Rights to set my name separate to my Steam username? I just don't want a 16+ year accout VAC banned.

Hi there!

No concerns, no.

VAC bans are done on a manual basis by us devs and is strictly tied to cheaters/exploiters.

That being said, we are aware of the name changing option sometimes being heavily exploited by the above mentioned cheaters in order to try to avoid bans so we are looking at ways of reducing that in the upcoming platform system overhaul.

- Trusty

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    Hi there!

No concerns, no.

VAC bans are done on a manual basis by us devs and is strictly tied to cheaters/exploiters.

That being said, we are aware of the name changing option sometimes being heavily exploited by the above mentioned cheaters in order to try to avoid bans so we are looking at ways of reducing that in the upcoming platform system overhaul.

- Trusty
    Thank you! That definitely makes me feel relieved, as a backer, no way I would risk losing those rewards with cheats. This will make it easier to use my regiment tag separate from other games.

Last edited by Myth; 08-16-2020 at 06:04 AM.

USA Captain

Is it possible @Trusty to have an option in the settings to change your name like Mount and Blade Warband does? Could make things a lot easier since no one will have to change their steam name anymore.

USA General of the Army

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler28256 View Post
    Is it possible @Trusty to have an option in the settings to change your name like Mount and Blade Warband does? Could make things a lot easier since no one will have to change their steam name anymore.
    I would also second that suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler28256 View Post
    There is currently something like that, you can use the ingame console to change your displayed name by simply opening it up typing "name" and then the name you'd like to have after that. Its a simple fix that i've had no trouble with so far that i've used for quite a while.
    Famous last words in public matches: "Are those cannons are aiming at us??"

I would like to change my name in game without typing it every startup.
    I tried making an autoexec.cfg file with the following two options tried individually:
    cl_nickname="myname"
    name="myname"

In the game.log I get: <22:42:07> [CONSOLE] Executing console command 'exec autoexec.cfg'
    <22:42:07> Executing console batch file (try game,config,root): "autoexec.cfg" found in ./autoexec.cfg ...
    <22:42:07> cl_nickname = myname [DUMPTODISK]

Any idea how I can get it to work automatically upon game load so I don't have to type it in every time?

I was wondering how to do this. Especially since I was planning on joining a regiment at some point. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ninjagaijin View Post
    I would like to change my name in game without typing it every startup.
    I tried making an autoexec.cfg file with the following two options tried individually:
    cl_nickname="myname"
    name="myname"

In the game.log I get: <22:42:07> [CONSOLE] Executing console command 'exec autoexec.cfg'
    <22:42:07> Executing console batch file (try game,config,root): "autoexec.cfg" found in ./autoexec.cfg ...
    <22:42:07> cl_nickname = myname [DUMPTODISK]

Any idea how I can get it to work automatically upon game load so I don't have to type it in every time?
    The only difference between this and mine (which works) is that I don't have any spaces. In most programming languages that doesn't matter but idk about configuration files.
    The rightful ruler of the HRE, Holy Sloth.