Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Game is Staler than Year Old Bread

The Game is Staler than Year Old Bread

Will repost all my suggestions in one place to see if we can start a constructive conversation about improving the game’s replayability among the other issues that plague the game and stop it from being fun for the average player over time. As the title says the game is staler than year old bread. After playing this game for over three years and nearly 900 hours very little has changed in the way each round plays out. We play on the same maps the same cap points with the same restricted borders, the same game mode and class limitations.

For the hard core players we can keep coming back for the love of Civil War history and the friends we’ve made in the community. For the average Joe who may not be into the history but is here just to enjoy a fun FPS shooter it’s a hard sell over a longer period of time.

Many units are shedding members for no other reason but their people are tired of playing War of Rights. There are a ton other quality games that offer very stiff competition to War of Rights even though their in a different genre. At some point in the next year there will be a direct threat to War of Rights in the form of Battle Cry of Freedom. We’ve all dedicated a ton of time, and treasure to this game and it’s community and it would be a shame to see dedicated community leaders feel their forced to move their group elsewhere to stay alive because WoR is stuck in a state of stagnation. Below are all the suggestions I’ve submitted over my time in the community some have been well received and some have not. To this day one has been implemented and many still have received no feedback from the dev team.

If I didn’t want to see this game succeed and grow to its full potential I would have remained silent.

White Knights I appreciate your loyalty to the Dev but we really need to have an open and constructive conversation without you trying to run interference so it’s appreciated if you have nothing useful to add please stay out of it.

Need to add an Admin Feature to Disable Auto Balance

Need an admin feature that allows you to completely disable auto balance on your server. The current way of temporarily doing it isn't really efficient during events as it has to be done continually as people join the server. When can we see this implemented? Thank you!

Spawn onto the field already reloaded
    My suggestion is that when you spawn in at the main spawn or on the flag that the character already be reloaded. Will cut down on time to get moving also doesn't put the newly spawned in player at a disadvantage when spawning on the flag in the middle of battle.

Kicked from my own server for respawning too many times.

CG is it possible to make it so the admins don’t get kicked for respawning too much? Was on my server doing event planning and needed to respawn multiple times and I was booted form my own server.

Suggestions for an Admin Panel 2.0
    I've compiled a list of features that I would like to see be included to increase the usefulness of the Admin panel. These are just the one I've thought about I encourage others to throw their ideas into the mix.

• Ability to disable dynamic weather
    • Option to display a motd announcement (The message would be displayed a frequency set by the server admin)
    • Need a proper interface that offers drop down menus for things like map selection that actually list maps by name
    • The option to set the number of available Officer and NCOs slots on the server (Useful when running events)
    • Drop down menu option to disable autobalance
    • New weather selection UI that allows you in plain English to control level of the rain, wind, snow
    • Option for Admins to change how long a round lasts. (Useful for giving prep time during events or allowing for longer rounds if the server owner wants that.)
    • The ability to change who is attacking or defending
    • Ability to disable the cap point
    • Would be nice to also be able to set the Regiments that are available for each map
    • Ability to remove someone from Officer position without kicking them from the server.

Sandbox Gamemode
    I just finished reading the forum post about folks clamoring for new content. As far as content I have a wonderful idea, CG created a wonderful large map for the Drill Camp and currently it isn't being used for much. We would love to have simple editing tools to create our own points of contention and scenarios. This would increase replay value of the game by a lot.

We understand that the Drill Camp is for drill so I recommend creating an exact copy of the Drill Camp with both Union and Confederates included and call it sandbox mode or something. We already create our own events on the Drill Camp map because we enjoy but unfortunately we can only use our imagination because of the lack of these tools. We've even created our own custom map of the Drill Camp map to show the potential for different scenarios. Hopefully you all like this idea and can improve upon it. Map credit 1stLT.Paine 4th New Jersey Regiment

C1349C41-6B27-4C1C-A337-FC843605F112.jpg

Officer Out of Line Timer
    I would like to suggest that you revisit the Officer out of line timer. Currently you're just not giving an Officer who starts at spawn enough time to even get back into the fight. On full servers or events it's not usually a problem but when you're on a 25 popped server and you need to run back from main spawn it's impossible depending on the map to make it back. My recommendation is bump it up to 60 seconds instead of 20 seconds. Thank you!

Need the Option to Furl the Colours
    It is not historically accurate to believe that civil war Regiments would have had their colours unfurled when they wanted to keep their position unknown to the enemy. When engaged in combat the colours do provide inspiration to the men but when moving through woods or other concealment it would be foolhardy to have the colours unfurled. Since War of Rights strives for historical accuracy I believe a mechanic to furl the colours needs to be implemented.

More Dedicated Server Providers
    It's time to get more service providers on board to host WoR, we need competition to drive down the price. Also why not allow us to host our own dedicated servers, many of us have the skills to setup and run our own servers? Thanks for your consideration!

Ability to Disable Environmental Effects
    Need the ability to completely disable environmental effects from the Admin panel. The current system doesn't work and the large FPS drop caused by the effects is not worth having them turned on. Thank you!

Notification someone went into F9 mode
    It would be nice to see a server wide notification if someone goes into observer mode F9. I believe this would cut down on folks using this to their advantage during events. Thank you!

Destructible Enviroment
    It would be nice to see a destructible environment be added to WoR, this would really make the game much more immersive.

Last edited by TRaider; 10-21-2020 at 05:09 PM.

CSA Major

Hear hear. I agree. We have to get out of this state of stagnation. Devs, pay attention to your community! You need us more than ever right now. How can we help you?
    Captain Carter, North Carolina - Serving the 6th Louisiana

Ancestry
    Private John Autry - 2nd NC Light Battery Company C
    Sergeant Daniel Autry - 20th NC Infantry Company I
    Private Amos Ammons - 53rd VA Infantry (Unknown company)
    Private Alpheus Ammons - 20th VA Cavalry (Maybe Company A, died in battle, Fisher Hill)
    Private Daniel J. Ammons (DJ) - 51st NC Company K
    Private Reason Ammons - 20th VA Cavalry Company A

Game development is moving like Pond water , what trips me about it all is the lack of communication, remember development vlogs? Notice that once the game was released that we no longer got anything. And even now we still don't get much. I said this before and I will say it again if you make something there will be others who can and will do it better. I hate to say this about a game I once was so excited for once again fall into "early access purgatory" so many people have dedicated their time and effort into building the community and supporting this project, this is no way to treat them. My fuse is burnt out on this game, however I still care about the people who still try and fight to keep it alive. Wake up devs, listen to your own community's cries for help and admit the short falls that have happened and back it up with at least some developmental updates here and there. 6 months between updates is ridiculous and as you probably have seen by the steam charts these small content updates only hook people for a short time before they find better games to play. Just keeping it real campfire games, this should be alarming. Your game is supported by your community you lose that trust and faith. This game will be no more than what it is. A pipe dream. ~HazedVision 3rd NJ
    Last edited by HazedVision; 10-21-2020 at 08:56 PM.

Totally agree Capt!

Quote Originally Posted by HazedVision View Post
    Game development is moving like Pond water , what trips me about it all is the lack of communication, remember development vlogs? Notice that once the game was released that we no longer got anything. And even now we still don't get much. I said this before and I will say it again if you make something there will be others who can and will do it better. I hate to say this about a game I once was so excited for once again fall into "early access purgatory" so many people have dedicated their time and effort into building the community and supporting this project, this is no way to treat them. My fuse is burnt out on this game, however I still care about the people who still try and fight to keep it alive. Wake up devs, listen to your own community's cries for help and admit the short falls that have happened and back it up with at least some developmental updates here and there. 6 months between updates is ridiculous and as you probably have seen by the steam charts these small content updates only hook people for a short time before they find better games to play. Just keeping it real campfire games, this should be alarming. Your game is supported by your community you lose that trust and faith. This game will be no more than what it is. A pipe dream. ~HazedVision 3rd NJ
    They are starting the public platform system tests this week or the next among some regiments. I can't speak to exactly how this will effect things but from what the devs have said it will make debugging a lot easier and help to fix a lot of server issues.
    The rightful ruler of the HRE, Holy Sloth.

Two days and nothing....$977,346 in their pockets. Not even our crowdfunding rewards...I'd like to take them to small claims court if we dont start seeing something soon.

Lol, good luck losing money on that one. Threatening to bring a developer to court, LOL. Grow up.

CSA Captain

Two days and nothing....$977,346 in their pockets. Not even our crowdfunding rewards...I'd like to take them to small claims court if we dont start seeing something soon.
    Stop talking.

Officer Out of Line Timer
    I would like to suggest that you revisit the Officer out of line timer. Currently you're just not giving an Officer who starts at spawn enough time to even get back into the fight. On full servers or events it's not usually a problem but when you're on a 25 popped server and you need to run back from main spawn it's impossible depending on the map to make it back. My recommendation is bump it up to 60 seconds instead of 20 seconds. Thank you!
    I agree that this is an issue, but the only fix I can currently think of is to implement a server vote to remove the current officer, increase the ticket penalty when an officer dies, and then to remove the timer all together.

Need the Option to Furl the Colours
    It is not historically accurate to believe that civil war Regiments would have had their colours unfurled when they wanted to keep their position unknown to the enemy. When engaged in combat the colours do provide inspiration to the men but when moving through woods or other concealment it would be foolhardy to have the colours unfurled. Since War of Rights strives for historical accuracy I believe a mechanic to furl the colours needs to be implemented.
    Agreed, and I have a potential addendum to it: When the colors are furled, they provide no respawn. When they're unfurled, they work as intended.

Spawn onto the field already reloaded
    My suggestion is that when you spawn in at the main spawn or on the flag that the character already be reloaded. Will cut down on time to get moving also doesn't put the newly spawned in player at a disadvantage when spawning on the flag in the middle of battle.
    Again I agree, but only for Main Spawn. I don't think Flag spawns should arrive with loads, as that could severely imbalance any engagement.

The rest of your suggestions I have no comment on. I believe all of your suggestions should wait until the Devs implement the more necessary fixes that they have planned.
    Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in!

People can't keep using, "it's a small, independent team" as a crutch. The most maddening thing is nobody really communicates what's going on to the player base as a whole.

There are so many things that were promised years ago but are now not even discussed. Improved melee, cavalry, and musicians to name a few.

What about some new and improved maps instead of the same 4-5 maps being used over and over because it's all that's not terrible to play? Allow other conditions for victory besides capture and hold the point. Let server admins decide what units and weapons can be used in a battle instead of sticking us with the same two on each side because, "that's who was there" even in fictional scenarios loosely based on an actual battle.

This game can improve by leaps and bounds, but it takes work, transparency, and innovation on the part of the developers.
    Last edited by Jigsaw; 10-27-2020 at 02:41 AM. Reason: correcting grammar
    Do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life. Because that field is not hiring. ~1st Jiggalations 4:20

CSA Captain

Simple Tuth.......nothing is going to help War of Rights now except a finished product & a full game, and certainly not adding more things for them to develop. It's needs what was promised from the start, a Campaign, it's all well and good having people buy the game and then using them as testers, but many of us have long since got sick to the back teeth of Skirmish mode and just stopped playing.

I know that sounds doom laden, but I saw great potential with WoR and none of that potential has been realised. It's had, still has in fact, a faithful player base, so the fault for it's stagnation lies solely with a stubborn Dev team who refuse to find someone who will invest the money needed to increas their team and finish this thing. Time is running out for WoR, and that's not naysaying, it's just a fact.
    Last edited by Sox; 10-27-2020 at 09:23 AM.
    ''I'm here to play an American Civil War era combat game, not Call of Duty with muskets.''.