Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: Trolls have taken over the public servers

The devs seem chronically in denial of the effect of trolls on the game. It's never been an issue you can put off. They're taking money out of your project hand and fist driving players away. Those public testing servers should disappear or be policed. Unmoderated servers are absolute pariahs. I took a look at the servers just last night and saw a 180/200 one and that's the first thing I thought: Ohhh boy. An official server. Gee, I wonder how that's going. Clans and other organizations aren't perfect with moderating, they often leave it unmoderated, but it beats pure anarchy any day of the week. This isn't the first guy to sign up on the forums literally just to say as much as has already been said again and again. A rating system will help but IMO those official servers should not exist and serve no real purpose. Working on fifteen months 'WoR free' here - that's my thoughts on public gameplay. I'll be back.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

Quote Originally Posted by Poorlaggedman View Post
    The devs seem chronically in denial of the effect of trolls on the game. It's never been an issue you can put off. They're taking money out of your project hand and fist driving players away. Those public testing servers should disappear or be policed. Unmoderated servers are absolute pariahs. I took a look at the servers just last night and saw a 180/200 one and that's the first thing I thought: Ohhh boy. An official server. Gee, I wonder how that's going. Clans and other organizations aren't perfect with moderating, they often leave it unmoderated, but it beats pure anarchy any day of the week. This isn't the first guy to sign up on the forums literally just to say as much as has already been said again and again. A rating system will help but IMO those official servers should not exist and serve no real purpose. Working on fifteen months 'WoR free' here - that's my thoughts on public gameplay. I'll be back.
    I have 4 friends that bought the game and were so turned off by the blatant and constant trolling, they refuse to give it a second shot. Shame too as these guys are reenactors and N-SSA members that could have brought in so many more players that this game would be geared towards. They, like most people, have no time for idiocy and refuse to waste money on something that is not fun. Really sucks because I used to enjoy the game so much

@Devs I am concerned about the new 'anti-trolling' feature that you guys want to implement. How can you promise this downvote won't be used against your female fanbase? If some jerk and his friends that don't want women playing the game all group up to downvote the female player then she essentially cannot play the game properly anymore? I can see how this downvote thing could be abused easily.
    Last edited by JediKnightSolo; 09-19-2021 at 08:03 AM.

And you do have a female fanbase that is surprisingly large, but they have to hide that they're women because that's just how bad it is.

Quote Originally Posted by JediKnightSolo View Post
    I am concerned about the new 'anti-trolling' feature that you guys want to implement. How can you promise this downvote won't be used against your female fanbase?
    If your getting downvoted so badly to the point you 'can't play', then you probably deserve it. Otherwise the community doesn't exist to protect people's feelings. I would fully expect to get downvoted a few times by a few individuals on a 100 player team, especially when it's a brand new feature and people want to play with it. People trying to troll the downvote system is another important point for not having unmoderated servers letting trolls flaunt themselves in the ecosystem openly without any recourse. I'd rather have subpar designated admins on official servers than none at all. Plus having functional and enjoyable public gameplay so that all players have more than a single choice for a populated server to play on at any given time, that's important. Common sense says that a server function to disable the system would be useful for locked server events, but the need (in that case) might be more indicative of an unhealthy community if designated leaders at closed events are getting downvoted out. Disabling the system could be something that could at least be allowed if the server is locked, but really high level server admins can benefit from flexibility
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 09-17-2021 at 10:20 PM.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n

Thinking out loud and probably not clearly, but with the downvote system lasting beyond a session and having some serious restriction on those demoted, perhaps there should be an upvote system too.

A player with a solid reputation would be a lot more resistant to demotion by a small group with an axe to grind if they could get votes of confidence from the community that knows them.

BTW, can the "demoted" downvote others?

This social credit system is trickier than I thought. Shades of Dennis Moore.

What are you going on about feelings? When did I ever mention feelings? I'm talking about not being able to play because a group of trolls downvotes you. It can easily happen to anyone. You're also talking about full day time servers. If you get down voted by 100 people then yeah, you probably do deserve it, but don't forget late night servers with maybe 30 players or less. If a group of trolls want to target you then you're screwed because they would have the votes needed to do damage with so few people playing (and don't say 'well don't play late' Some people can only play late because they work late) This system looks like it will make it a lot easier to troll people unless it's adjusted.

Msgte has a very good point about this upvote system working to counter that. If we can build a reputation similar to the old Xbox360 reputation system that could be a good way to counter trolls abusing the system. And that would also work well against the trolls. Very well put Msgte.

"Blessed be the LORD, my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle."

Msgte has a very good point about this upvote system working to counter that. If we can build a reputation similar to the old Xbox360 reputation system that could be a good way to counter trolls abusing the system. And that would also work well against the trolls. Very well put Msgte.
    Except trolls can upvote each other as well.

The demotion system is a big social experiment and one that is likely to require finetuning before it fully works as intended. I do believe that the vast majority of players in WoR are mature enough to not jump any sort of bandwagon tried initiated by a troll.

Our community asked us of ways to moderate non-admined servers and the demotion system is the best solution we've been able to come up with.

- Trusty

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    Except trolls can upvote each other as well.
    Hmmm. I suppose. It's like a double edged sword isn't it? It could cut either way.

Let me just give an example of what has me so worried. This is over a course of DAYS. This guy was on EVERY night doing this kind of thing and making the game difficult for the female playerbase. Any time he hears a woman he makes it his job to harass them. TKs twice every round. Just enough to not get the three TK ban. Guys like this having access to downvote are what worry me. I don't want to see people get wrongly downvoted for their gender or race. My female friend is an officer and a damn good one. If she got downvoted wrongly just because someone hates women and couldn't take officer anymore that would be terribly unjust.
    20210911231609_1.jpg

If it was a one time occurrence sure, fine, but I see guys like this on every night. They band together and team up on women. If enough of these kinds of guys were able to vote... well... I hope you can understand why there is room for concern.

"Blessed be the LORD, my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle."

Hmmm. I suppose. It's like a double edged sword isn't it? It could cut either way.

Let me just give an example of what has me so worried. This is over a course of DAYS. This guy was on EVERY night doing this kind of thing and making the game difficult for the female playerbase. Any time he hears a woman he makes it his job to harass them. TKs twice every round. Just enough to not get the three TK ban. Guys like this having access to downvote are what worry me. I don't want to see people get wrongly downvoted for their gender or race. My female friend is an officer and a damn good one. If she got downvoted wrongly just because someone hates women and couldn't take officer anymore that would be terribly unjust.
    20210911231609_1.jpg

If it was a one time occurrence sure, fine, but I see guys like this on every night. They band together and team up on women. If enough of these kinds of guys were able to vote... well... I hope you can understand why there is room for concern.
    I understand your concern. Silly people will vote because of their silly ideas.

By that logic, however - no self admining power of any sort should ever be introduced into any game and I'm seeing lots of games that feature kick/ban vote systems - our take on that, the demotion system, is quite a bit more forgiving in that regard as you're able to continue playing the game even when demoted.

- Trusty