Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1st Virginia Cavalry - Co. F and Co. K - "Shepherdstown Troop" and "River Rangers"

USA Major

COLONEL J E B STUART
    J E B Stuart was appointed lieutenant colonel, infantry, Provisional Army of Virginia, at Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 8 May, 1861, and was ordered to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.34, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 9 May, 1861. Lieutenant Colonel J E B Stuart, Provisional Army of Virginia, was appointed captain, cavalry, Confederate States Army, on 24 May, 1861, dated 16 March, 1861, and colonel, 1st Virginia Cavalry, on 16 July, 1861. He was assigned to command the cavalry of the Army of the Shenandoah during the first battle of Manassas on 21 July, 1861, and was appointed brigadier general, Confederate States Army, on 24 September, 1861.

Those 32" boots those

USA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Bl1zzt3r View Post
    Those 32" boots those
    Those boots are badass. I bet he appreciated those in the thick brush that would literally tear up anything else.

USA Major

This shell jacket was worn by the 1st Virginia Cavalry organized into a regiment by J.E.B. Stuart. The single biggest distinguishing factor of a typical 1st Virginia Cavalryman is the shell jacket with striped facings, or "Hussar Bars" on the front. This reflected the American fascination with European styles in pre-war militia units.

Although the traditional trim color for cavalry was yellow, the 1st Virginia wore black-trimmed uniforms instead, including a broad-brimmed black hat, often with a black plume.

This Early War shell jacket features "Hussar Bars" on the 9 button front, has epaulettes, square sleeve trim on a straight cuff, belt loops, is lined with a cotton lining and has one inside pocket.

Last edited by Shiloh; 02-26-2021 at 10:04 PM.

USA Major

1ST VIRGINIA CAVALRY AT FIRST MANASSAS
    For two hours we sat there on our horses, exposed to a perfect storm of grapeshot, balls, bombs, etc. They burst over our heads, passed under our horses, yet nobody was hurt. I rode my horse nearly to death on the battlefield, going backward and forward, watching the enemy's movements to prevent them from flanking our command.

~ recollection of then private John S. Mosby

Last edited by Shiloh; 02-27-2021 at 04:53 PM.

USA Major

I am proud to announce that we have grown to two companies with the addition of Co. K, "River Rangers." The company command was transferred over to me by preacher - which I greatly appreciate - and I've assumed full command. I wish him good luck as he joins the Union cause. That brings our fighting-strength up considerably as we continue to build the 1st Virginia Cavalry into a proud fighting force.

Congrats, can't wait to charge against yall when the horses arrive!

USA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Bl1zzt3r View Post
    Congrats, can't wait to charge against yall when the horses arrive!
    Thanks Major Johnson!

USA Major

Battle of Antietam

Commanded by Lieutenant Colonel Brien.

From the War Department marker for F. Lee’s Brigade on the Antietam battlefield:

The 1st Virginia Cavalry, detached on the 10th, rejoined on the morning of the 17th and the Brigade took position on the left of Jackson’s Command, which it assisted in resisting the Union advance. On September 18th and 19th the Brigade covered the withdrawal of the Army of Northern Virginia to the south bank of the Potomac.

Last edited by Shiloh; 03-08-2021 at 06:33 PM.

USA Major

July 28, 1862

The Cavalry Division of the Army of Northern Virginia was created under the command of Major General James E.B. Stuart. The 1st Virginia was assigned to the brigade of Brigadier General Fitzhugh Lee, along with the 3rd, 4th, 5th and 9th Virginia Cavalry and Breathed’s Battery of Horse Artillery.