• Deactivate the historical sequences is a bad feature

5 12.82%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for some Quality of Life Improvements

CSA Captain

Lightbulb Question for some Quality of Life Improvements

Greetings together,

after the big 200 man update surprised us a few days ago and according to the patch notes, some great progress was made in the game performance and the general program code of the game. With the long-awaited arrival of the musicians, some small quality of life improvements have come back to my mind and I would like to take the opportunity to ask about the feasibility and the general opinion of the developers about them. In my eyes, these are not major changes to the game itself, but they are details that can have a positive influence on the gameplay and the motivation of players that should not be underestimated.

@The Developers

Weapon selection:

This feature has been in an unfinished state in the game for a long time, but could make life incredibly easier for many players and companies. The ability for a player to choose their preferred weapon (possibly from a predefined pool) would also give each player a sense of self-design and authenticity.

Flag selection:

The great work done in the creation of the new flags (I take my hat off to the responsible developer), could be massively expanded here. The valuable initiative to equip the units with the flags of their states in addition to their regimental flags unfortunately loses a lot of its appeal if you are not able to decide with which flag a soldier can spawn at a certain moment. At the same time, it would be a real eye-catcher on the drill servers if a regiment could display its two flags, i.e. two flag bearers could be selected per unit.

A third regiment:

With the appearance of the 200 man servers, I see the need to add a third regiment to the available regiments per Skirmish Area. Already before it was difficult (especially on maps where skirmishers or cavalry were available) to provide enough NCOs, flags and officers for units participating in an event, but now with 50 players more per server it has become a must. Even if there are serious concerns from the developers about an extra flag, or officer, I can say that the event community would take care of such concerns. On the other hand, it would allow more units to play on the same server without their officers having to lead them into battle as privates. Additionally, especially a third flag on some maps would give more tactical flexibility and compensate for the disadvantage of long runs (sometimes 5 minutes+).

The history lesson after the battles:

Right up front, the idea is good and every historically interested player will enjoy the battle report after the fight. But after you have seen these short videos more than five times, they are just annoying. Every map change, every restart of a map repeats these unavoidable sequences to the point where you go to the kitchen or stretch your legs in the meantime. Is there no way to skip these really well-intentioned sequences or even disable them altogether? Not only would it speed up any interaction with the maps from an admin point of view, it would also be a great relief for any player who has already been through one or two restarts of a map or server.
    Captain Walter, Leopold, Lothar von-Winkler

Hello Winkler,

Thank you for your suggestions!

Let me just give you a quick rundown as to where we stand currently (note: things very well might change).

Weapon Selection: I actually think it is now possible to select your weapon via the class selection menu (added in update 175 although I haven't tested it myself yet).

Flag Selection: We'd like to eventually go from a 1 flag per regiment to a 2 flags per regiment system (as we're able to support more and more players in a server) as the vast majority of regiments featured in WoR historically fielded 2 flags and not 1. An additional flag per regiment would greatly reduce the queue length on the flag bearer(s) which is sometimes way more of a pain now with 200 players instead of 150.

A Third Regiment: We'd rather expand our two regiments per side towards being more historically correct in terms of numbers within them (the flag change above is an example of this) than we'd want to go for a third regiment (and say, stick to 1 flag per regiment).

The history lesson after the battles: We'd like to at the very least offer a cvar to skip the narration and flyby on passworded servers to help with easier cycling areas.

- Trusty

USA Brigadier General

it would be great to have the choice on which flag you would like to spawn. it would help to keep the man together.
    Maybe a look at the cap for NCOs and COs may be worth? would also increase the historical accuracy

and plus 1 for the skip! it is nicely done but playing 4 battles at a weekend plus mapchanges make them boring when you see them for the 343671276412 time ^^
    http://www.warofrightsforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=522&dateline=14500460  02

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Decimus Meridius View Post
    it would be great to have the choice on which flag you would like to spawn. it would help to keep the man together.
    Maybe a look at the cap for NCOs and COs may be worth? would also increase the historical accuracy

and plus 1 for the skip! it is nicely done but playing 4 battles at a weekend plus mapchanges make them boring when you see them for the 343671276412 time ^^
    We'll very likely look at the NCO & Officer numbers as well, yeah.

Another thing we like to test out in the not too distant future is removing the out of line desertion rules for the officer and flag bearer class as we now have the demotion system as a direct consequence of not working with your regiment. We'll need a few more upgrades to the tab view in order to make the players currently playing as the limited classes in your regiment visible to everyone before we can initiate such a test though.

- Trusty

Hi Trusty,

concerning the 3rd Regiment...
    If you're rather would like to leave the maps with 2 Regiments per Side per map, maybe you might think about making a subdivision in 2 or 3 Company's per Regiment.
    For example: on Bloody Lane Union Side you have the 69thNY Company A und B, the same with the 8thOH and also on the CSA side with the 6thAL and 14thNC.
    All Companys might have 1 Officer and 4 (or more) NCO spots, and maybe an additional Regiment Officer and NCO...
    If you're still concerned about the Number of Officer's available (and the abuse by that), you could still leave 1 Officer per Regiment. But in organized battles by the WoR Community there shouldn't be a Problem with a possible abuse, and more Officer's for the Regiment would be in compliance with your goal to make it historical more acccurate.
    But we really could use the 4 (or more) NCO spots per Company, since you need that many more for the organisation within the battles.
    There are many more Units now sharing those 4 NCO spots per Regiment right now, while playing 200 men servers. There might be only 1 NCO per Unit, and its really hard to find and to rally your troops.
    Lastly you might think about to let all these desired changes (Number of Officers and NCO's) be adjustable in the Admin Tool, whether it be a 3rd Regiment or a subdivision of the already existing Regiments in Companys.

Kind Regards

Sergeant Andrew Walsh, 52ndNY

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    Hello Winkler,

Thank you for your suggestions!

Let me just give you a quick rundown as to where we stand currently (note: things very well might change).

Weapon Selection: I actually think it is now possible to select your weapon via the class selection menu (added in update 175 although I haven't tested it myself yet).

Flag Selection: We'd like to eventually go from a 1 flag per regiment to a 2 flags per regiment system (as we're able to support more and more players in a server) as the vast majority of regiments featured in WoR historically fielded 2 flags and not 1. An additional flag per regiment would greatly reduce the queue length on the flag bearer(s) which is sometimes way more of a pain now with 200 players instead of 150.

A Third Regiment: We'd rather expand our two regiments per side towards being more historically correct in terms of numbers within them (the flag change above is an example of this) than we'd want to go for a third regiment (and say, stick to 1 flag per regiment).

The history lesson after the battles: We'd like to at the very least offer a cvar to skip the narration and flyby on passworded servers to help with easier cycling areas.

- Trusty
    Hello Trusty,

thank you for your detailed answer.

Weapon selection:
    The weapon selection actually works, tried it today. The change didn't show up in the changelog though, hence the question.

Flag selection:
    The prospect of changing something here sounds promising. Two flags would indeed be a great relief on some maps and would also boost RP, as it would allow units to spread out more on the battlefield and play on underutilized sections of the maps. Also, it would be really handy to be able to see the good work of the flag models without having to respawn 5x with a 10 minute timer each.

An additional regiment:
    The key thing here is the limited classes. A third regiment would be the easiest solution, because it would give the possibility to place unused or hardly occurring units in the battles. In addition, it would provide (possibly) other armament options on the maps, which could also make (at least a small) difference.

However, if the plan is to expand the already existing regiments, then the class increase of NCOs/musicians/officers and flags is in the foreground here to make it possible to appear with these two regiments at least as different companies.

The history lesson at the end of the round:
    Any possibility of adjustment on this subject is desirable and will be happily received.

Well, there are still several topics and suggestions that come to my mind that I would like to discuss, but first I thank you for the responses so far.
    Captain Walter, Leopold, Lothar von-Winkler

Well, it's definitely coming together!

The fact that the weapon selection suddenly worked was also something we found out rather by accident; that was a nice little extra gift to an already great update, thank you very much! This discussion here is also already heading in the right direction. I'm already curious about the later implementation.
    https://i.ibb.co/3FsY8gQ

CSA Major

I am very much behind these, and it's especially nice to find that the option to select weapons has quietly been enabled. I am not sure if three regiments is required just yet, it would be better (in my opinion) to correctly adjust the number of NCOs and flags against the player increase. However, if we eventually reach 250 players (and a fabled 300?) then the addition of another regiment would be more sensible.

Changing the flags doesn't make much sense unless you change the whole regiments alongside with them. It'd be pretty silly to have a Zouave flag if Im still fighting with an All Green Uniform Sharpshooter Regiment, or have a Florida flag when my uniform is fixed to Hampton's Legion. And to be honest I think weapon selection is a bad feature. I do quite enjoy the fact that certain regiments have a pool of weapons you may get and that your chances for getting a specific weapon is random. Otherwise everyone would run an 1842, Whitworth, Sharps Carbine or other weapon when it was convenient instead of just getting what you get.

Quote Originally Posted by D. Zhu View Post
    Changing the flags doesn't make much sense unless you change the whole regiments alongside with them. It'd be pretty silly to have a Zouave flag if Im still fighting with an All Green Uniform Sharpshooter Regiment, or have a Florida flag when my uniform is fixed to Hampton's Legion.
    No one is suggesting that.

People want to choose between a regiment's Regimental or National flag.