Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bring back regional prices

Quote Originally Posted by Rauktol View Post

We can't solve the problem of access to games for everyone, but we can make a gamer spend the same percentage of his personal or family budget in America, Europe or Russia. And this, in the end, creates a closer community.
    I understand your reasoning.

The game is not valued at a certain percentage of a personal income though. It's valued at 30 USD because that is what we think it is worth. Location or wealth of the individual does not enter into it at all which is why we think it the most fair pricing approach.

- Trusty

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    I understand your reasoning.

The game is not valued at a certain percentage of a personal income though. It's valued at 30 USD because that is what we think it is worth. Location or wealth of the individual does not enter into it at all which is why we think it the most fair pricing approach.

- Trusty
    Okay, let me give you another approach to my reasoning.

Let's imagine that a person does the same job, which requires the same physical/mental effort in country A and the other person does it in country B.

The person in country A earns 1000 dollars and the person in country B 500. They have invested the same amount of work and yet because of the economic conditions of their country and the cost of living, their salary is different.
    Now country A produces a product that it also wants to sell in country B. It is important to mention that a intangible good and does not require the investment of raw materials and physical labor in its production (which would not allow to lower the selling prices much), and can be replicated whenever you want.
    However, if we sell it in country B at the price of country A, it will obviously have a limited demand, since few people will be able to afford it. Therefore, the price must be lowered.
    It is true, that it costs less in country B, but the proportion of effort in acquiring it, represented by the salary, is the same. Both in country A and country B.

P.S.
    Apart from games, an example that we all know is the cinema, which has always applied this approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Rauktol View Post
    Okay, let me give you another approach to my reasoning.

Let's imagine that a person does the same job, which requires the same physical/mental effort in country A and the other person does it in country B.

The person in country A earns 1000 dollars and the person in country B 500. They have invested the same amount of work and yet because of the economic conditions of their country and the cost of living, their salary is different.
    Now country A produces a product that it also wants to sell in country B. It is important to mention that a intangible good and does not require the investment of raw materials and physical labor in its production (which would not allow to lower the selling prices much), and can be replicated whenever you want.
    However, if we sell it in country B at the price of country A, it will obviously have a limited demand, since few people will be able to afford it. Therefore, the price must be lowered.
    It is true, that it costs less in country B, but the proportion of effort in acquiring it, represented by the salary, is the same. Both in country A and country B.

P.S.
    Apart from games, an example that we all know is the cinema, which has always applied this approach.
    Again I understand your reasoning. That just doesn't change the fact that we deem our product to be worth 30 USD. Maybe we'd value it lower if we were situated in a country with a lower general income, but we are not.

- Trusty

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    Again I understand your reasoning. That just doesn't change the fact that we deem our product to be worth 30 USD. Maybe we'd value it lower if we were situated in a country with a lower general income, but we are not.

- Trusty
    Okay, I see that you are very convinced of your position. I guess it's a matter of principles. I would understand it better if it were so from the beginning, but now I don't understand very well what has made you change your position.

Quote Originally Posted by Leifr View Post
    Quoting TrustyJam from the Steam discussion forums earlier in the year.
    I mean that does sound like some good points.