Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Veiw Point

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

CSA Brigadier General

Veiw Point

So as I understand it the game will be locked in first person veiw, will there/can there be some way for a third person veiw. My reasoning behind it would be to help formations keep cohesion while offering a betterfied of vision. If you look at the kick starter video you see the men suddenly form into column and then a line, I know some of those where devs but a few must have been ai and being a member if my high school marching band, I know that to keep in formation you would need to use your peripheral vision. Since this is a game I don't see how players could do that kind of formations on the go, much less form a perfect line like that.

Mainly I say this due to the many NW, NAS regs I have been in, and in my expirences it just isn't practical to be first person when its time to be in formations, on the go and to an extent in a fight. Now when we do get to the point that regiments start forming, I don't know about any one else but I like to take/be part of in game regimental photos and in the past to either take them or be in and take you need to be either in spec or 3rd person.

Now for the folks who will scream realism, I know. However I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks this, and from a new player stand point it would be beneficial for the new people to see the regiments/sqauds/armies in formation so that they can learn, if they can't see I then they won't do it, and being a fps you will still have those not in regs/armies ect who will go the call of duty mentality, so to keep an eye for rambos it would be a good idea for 3td person veiw to keep an eye out.

I'm sure this may have been discussed but I want to get feedback. Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by Wilson; 10-29-2015 at 11:15 AM.
    Captain Ricky C. Wilson
    3rd Arkansas Volunteer Infantry
    A Company "Arkansas Travelers"
    Commanding Officer

Probably said million times now. This will only be 1st person. Might change for cavalry but highly doubt.

And game mechanics will make formations easier (I hope)
    http://i.imgur.com/WTPcvcZ.png

CSA Private

What they can implement is some sort of free cam so you can look around your surroundings even for spot enemies at distance while running at one direction.

Quote Originally Posted by VictorFernandes View Post
    What they can implement is some sort of free cam so you can look around your surroundings even for spot enemies at distance while running at one direction.
    Free look is already in-game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IHTCLY7YNU

- Trusty

CSA Private

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    Free look is already in-game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IHTCLY7YNU

- Trusty
    Oh yes....

*walking away ashamed*

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    Let me ask a simple question, in the course of your day to day life do you use a 3rd person viewpoint? Point being you can't use one in real life and this effort is to restrict to as near real life as possible.

In real life if you needed to dress a line you have to look to your right and left I don't see what's so hard about doing that in this environment.

Track ball has been suggested to help with the first person view. Free cameras also need limiting as they could be employed as a cheat.

I am pro peripheral vision! (as in a massive field of view ((perhaps expandable vis a vis held button?))) In my experience in marching band we were taught to follow a moving formation with peripheral vision, we only looked left and right to clean a static formation, and then only in practice. In learning a show; we tried to move from mark to mark in the correct number of steps, in the time allotted, in march [pronounced mark] time (if the block was veeery basic). Every practice we got closer and closer to our marks. Heck, the different instrument sections competed with each other for supplementary-drill exemptions! The goal was to not need to dress after a check so you could learn how to find your mark with peripherals in a show. What fellow who takes pride in his formations wants a column of swiveling heads? It just doesn't look smart, and slobs don't intimidate the enemy! Further and more importantly being forced to look around at your formation instead of keeping your attention on the battle suppresses the players initiative!

Would anyone care to see a set up such as hold "b" to expand fov, and release to snap back to standard?
    Last edited by Revermen; 01-15-2017 at 06:37 AM. Reason: horrid grammar

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Revermen View Post
    I am pro peripheral vision! (as in a massive field of view ((perhaps expandable vis a vis held button?))) In my experience in marching band we were taught to follow a moving formation with peripheral vision, we only looked left and right to clean a static formation, and then only in practice. In learning a show; we tried to move from mark to mark in the correct number of steps, in the time allotted, in march [pronounced mark] time (if the block was veeery basic). Every practice we got closer and closer to our marks. Heck, the different instrument sections competed with each other for supplementary-drill exemptions! The goal was to not need to dress after a check so you could learn how to find your mark with peripherals in a show. What fellow who takes pride in his formations wants a column of swiveling heads? It just doesn't look smart, and slobs don't intimidate the enemy! Further and more importantly being forced to look around at your formation instead of keeping your attention on the battle suppresses the players initiative!

Would anyone care to see a set up such as hold "b" to expand fov, and release to snap back to standard?
    Yes, I don't think this is a bad idea, or possibly just increase the field of vision for everything. I agree that for good, no hassle drill you need peripheral vision. Obviously this would be hard to achieve with only one monitor, and most have resorted to the ALT key. But I find that it is nearly impossible to use the ALT key and make accurate inputs to correct maneuvers. Or to solve this possibly have a key that essentially allows a player to "grab his neighbor's sleeve" and lock onto him for better drill. I don't know if I like this idea 100%, but it may be the best option. Anyway, I think this has been discussed before, though I can't recall the response.
    To the Colors!

Captain Lance Rawlings
    Company K, 38th North Carolina, Pender's Brigade, A.P. Hill's Division, Jackson's Corps, Army of Northern Virginia
    http://www.warofrightsforum.com/show...lina-Boys-quot

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Revermen View Post

I like this, imo it's the best option without having to go 3rd person.
    Jesse S. Crosby, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - May 6, 1864

Samuel T. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - September 2, 1862

Joseph C. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - October 1, 1863

Henry C. McKenzie, 3rd Georgia Infantry, June 1, 1861 - January 28, 1863

Charles R. Beddingfield, 38th Alabama Infantry

Samuel L. Cowart, Cobb's Legion

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    That's a terrible column. They're all out of step.