Page 11 of 193 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: 42nd Pennsylvania Infantry "Bucktails" - 2nd Battalion - Co. E & F ~ EU/NA

CSA Captain

They say they're gonna draft you for 3 months but then they conscript you for life - russian style
    Your Captain calls me Onii-chan.

USA General of the Army

Quote Originally Posted by Numitor View Post
    They say they're gonna draft you for 3 months but then they conscript you for life - russian style
    Shhhh we can't let them know!

Tampa, Florida, USA, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravescot View Post
    And today I have for you this amazing Sharps Model 1859! This rifle is like nothing you've seen before. Forget the slow 3 shots a minute with your normal muzzle loaded rifle! This baby can do 10 shots a minute with its new breach loading system and specially made paper cartridges. Make Johnny Reb an issue no longer but mowing down men faster then you can say "Damn Reb"!
    That's just one of the major selling points of joining the Bucktails.

1) Faster firing and longer range with model 1859 Sharps rifles
    2) Innovative training from the man who literally invented "skirmisher tactics"
    3) Several different unit names, all at once

Yes, they could fire ten rounds per minute as opposed to the three rounds per minute of the "normal" infantry soldier of the time. The men also trained in long range target practice with their Sharps rifles, basically turning each man into a sharpshooter. This is during a period when most soldiers never practiced shooting at all.* Perhaps the innovation with the most impact was the fighting style used by the Bucktails. Instead of firing from an exposed line formation, Lieutenant Colonel Thomas L. Kane trained the unit to scatter and fire from cover. He pretty much invented what would later become known as "skirmisher tactics."

He also gave the men much more individual responsibility, including freedom to choose their own targets, than was common at the time. Last but not least, the unit was known as the 13th Pennsylvania Reserve Regiment, the 42nd Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, the 1st Pennsylvania Rifles, Kane's Rifles, or simply "the Bucktails"...that's FIVE...count 'em...FIVE different names for one regiment!

Oh...and we get to wear part of a deer's butt on our hats, too!

We're so sorry everyone else's regiment isn't as cool as ours...NOT!

-Irish

*"Most soldiers knew little of ballistics or even basic marksmanship techniques - and never learned otherwise. Although they drilled relentlessly, Civil War soldiers rarely practiced shooting, and junior and senior officers generally knew little about firearms."
    (from the book "Civil War Firearms." by Joseph G. Bilby)
    Last edited by O'Donovan; 11-15-2015 at 02:33 PM.
    "Forward, Bucktails, there's fun ahead!" -Lieutenant Colonel Thomas Leiper Kane
    The Bucktails were said to be all superior marksmen, and during the first year of the war they distinguished themselves as skirmishers and sharpshooters. -The Gettysburg Daily
    ODonovan on Star Citizen - odonovan1 on World War II Online - Formerly @Power Play on City of Heroes

Tampa, Florida, USA, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy
    Here is a wonderful piece on the history of the Bucktails. Unfortunately, it was apparently scanned with an optical character reader and never "cleaned up." Also, there are some parts of paragraphs out of order, so you may be reading happily along only to find another block of text in the way.

LINK

And, here is the "master list" of formats which are available.

LINK

-Irish
    Last edited by O'Donovan; 11-15-2015 at 02:12 PM.
    "Forward, Bucktails, there's fun ahead!" -Lieutenant Colonel Thomas Leiper Kane
    The Bucktails were said to be all superior marksmen, and during the first year of the war they distinguished themselves as skirmishers and sharpshooters. -The Gettysburg Daily
    ODonovan on Star Citizen - odonovan1 on World War II Online - Formerly @Power Play on City of Heroes

USA General of the Army

^ Top man right here!

USA Corporal

Some pics I took from the West Chester museum. Not for Company F but for company H of the Bucktails.

Hey O'Donovan thank you for the links!
    Last edited by amishdroid; 11-15-2015 at 09:43 PM.

USA General of the Army

Ye gods son! Reduce the size a little!!

USA Corporal

Sorry fixed it. Being the son of a backswoodsman I don't get all this fancy internet thing.

I should head back out there and get a picture for where Company F was located. I focused mainly on where my ancestors came from.

USA Captain

It's Dave from Shit Post Sports (SPS) here! Since our usual office is being monitored harder than a college girls' bathroom, we've relocated to here!
    Now, for everyone's favorite time of the week, SHIT POST AWARDS.

A strong contender, we have Bravescot talking about his mate's willy:
    Ye gods son! Reduce the size a little!!
    Next up, Macca with this piece of shitposting beauty:
    Well actually, I'll have you know that my nan was a fucking top memer and was gr8.
    However, this week's MVP is O'Donovan, with this shitposting mastery:
    This is Dave from SPS, shitposting out.

USA Captain

*Snip* Reason Off-Topic