Thread: Palmetto Sharpshooters Company E

Palmetto Sharpshooters Company E

Welcome to the Palmetto Sharpshooters, South Carolina Volunteers

palmetto_background.jpg

The Palmetto Sharpshooters are a skirmishing regiment in full operation with Longstreet's I Corps working alongside 4th Texas, 5th Texas, 18th Georgia, Holcombes Legion, Jefferson Davis Legion D Cavalry, Rowans Battery, and Brockenborough's Battery.

Breif History

The origins of the regiment date to the formation of the original South Carolina units for twelve months service in January of 1861; these units formed for State service, and in April of 1861 became part of the Confederate Army, agreeing to serve until the expiration of their terms of enlistment in April of 1862. The time passed quickly and at a most inopportune time the original enlistments began to expire in April of 1862, just as Union forces under Major General George B. McClellan were beginning to land on the Virginia Peninsula and begin their advance on Richmond; as a result the forces that had been stationed at Manassas under General Joseph E. Johnston began marching towards the Peninsula to meet the Federal forces. Among those units whose terms were expiring on this march were the 4th, 5th and 9th South Carolina Volunteer Infantry Regiments.
    In the ensuing reorganization the 4th Regiment was reduced to a Battalion of four companies, the 5th Regiment re-organized under Colonel Asbury Coward, and the 9th Regiment was disbanded and returned to South Carolina. However, from each of these three regiments would come companies whose members chose to join Colonel Micah Jenkins in the formation of the new Regiment of Sharpshooters; from the 4th Regiment came the “Palmetto Riflemen,” “Calhoun Mountaineers,” “Pickens Guards,” and the “Confederate Guards;” from the 5th Regiment were the “Johnson Rifles,” “Morgan Light Infantry,” “Pacolet Guards,” “Jasper Light Infantry,” and “Spartan Rifles;” and from the 9th Regiment were the “Darlington Sentinels,” “Pickens Sentinels” and the “Cowpens Guards.” The new regiment was officially mustered into Confederate Service on April 16th, 1862, for the duration of the war, it numbered 1,100 officers and men under the command of Colonel Micah Jenkins of Yorkville, Lieutenant Colonel Joseph Walker of Spartanburg and Major William Anderson of Anderson.

About Us

The Palmetto Sharpshooters Company E rejoined Longstreets I Corps late May being run by Captain Gunner. Were a simple rag tag group of people who love having fun and showing our skills on the battlefield. We happily participate with Longstreets I Corps in weekend events and take immense pride on our marksmanship. Skirmishing is the name of our game and pain is the way we rain.

Regimental Orginization

Coammnding Officer:Captain Gunner
    Executive Officer:1st Lieutenant Rex

Events

We currently run with Longstreets I Corps on weekend events on Saturdays and Sundays
    Eu events are on Saturdays and Sundays at 3pm Us Easter Time
    Na events are on Saturdays and Sundays at 8pm Us Easter Time

Currently Not Recruiting
    Last edited by Gunner12; 10-04-2020 at 11:55 PM.

Yes the image is messed up, work in progress.

Very cool. 10/10 Unit

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    Congrats!

Welcome to the CSA!

Glad to have you gents in I Corps!

Best skirms to ever walk the community! Admitted bias though

My left toe