Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Suggestion for artillery

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodBeag View Post
    thanks I didn't know. That still takes a lot of men out of the main fighting though
    If you take time to go through the rosters of both sides as listed on these forums, I think you'll find there are not a great number of artillery groups being formed. So I suspect that the numbers would be about equal to what both armies set down in standards of one battery per brigade of men.

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by BloodBeag View Post
    thanks I didn't know. That still takes a lot of men out of the main fighting though
    I'm sure most companies wont operate a full battery, maybe one or two guns. But lets say that they are going with a full battery and they are useing five men per gun thats 30 men while it is alot they could lessen it even more by going with three men per gun making it 18. Thats alot better than 48 men. I'm sure it will all work out. I think most arty companies will stick with 2-3 guns with 3-5 men per gun while most players will play as infantry.
    I personally hope here is a good deal of arty on the field, but even one well manned gun can make a difference
    If I ever end up adding an arty company to my battalion I'm gonna operate it with as little men as possible while maintaining a good level of efficiency. That way I can have more guns with less men and still be formidable.

My main concern is how they implement artillery, I hope it's realistic and not like mount and blade where you just point and shoot like your holding a rifle.
    Last edited by Legion; 02-27-2016 at 04:48 PM.
    Jesse S. Crosby, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - May 6, 1864

Samuel T. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - September 2, 1862

Joseph C. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - October 1, 1863

Henry C. McKenzie, 3rd Georgia Infantry, June 1, 1861 - January 28, 1863

Charles R. Beddingfield, 38th Alabama Infantry

Samuel L. Cowart, Cobb's Legion

Just use Moutian Howitzers, all they take is 3 men to load it and fire it. And deffitinaly if it is not horse drawn but with some elbow grease. Have the lanyard puller be the powder monkey when he is not pulling the lanyard. And in case none of you knew there was no "worm" but just sponges. So there you have a 3 manned artillery crew. (And the prick being number 3)

USA Private

most sources I have found say 7-man crew and I would love to see a 12 Pounder whitworth breechloader rifle only 50 in the us though :/

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Willy The Walrus View Post
    most sources I have found say 7-man crew and I would love to see a 12 Pounder whitworth breechloader rifle only 50 in the us though :/
    They will have the whitworth
    Jesse S. Crosby, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - May 6, 1864

Samuel T. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - September 2, 1862

Joseph C. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - October 1, 1863

Henry C. McKenzie, 3rd Georgia Infantry, June 1, 1861 - January 28, 1863

Charles R. Beddingfield, 38th Alabama Infantry

Samuel L. Cowart, Cobb's Legion