Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestion for artillery

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie Fisterbottom View Post
    Only problem i could think of is that you would have an abundance of gunners and a lack of reloaders, spotters, etc. Because everyone wants the glory of shooting the cannon, not stuffing ammo in it over and over
    I think you're mistaken. Again you miss the developers intent to nurture and ingraine the team spirit of this endeavor.

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by A. P. Hill View Post
    I think you're mistaken. Again you miss the developers intent to nurture and ingraine the team spirit of this endeavor.
    I have no doubt it would work well with an artillery regiment of people in a group together, im just concerned about how it would play out in a casual match with random people. I suppose a good way to mitigate against it would be to not include a personal kill counter so people dont just all try and play as a gunner. (basically what you said about making it very team focused)

USA 1st Lieutenant

I'm not sure how many people would 'enjoy' being a loader and just picking up a shell placing it in, waiting, picking up a shell, placing it in, waiting.

I can imagine it being fun though if you have someone who is very good at aiming and you know you are getting hits because then you would know that you had contributed to something that the ordinary infantry did not as much. But if you all sucked then it wouldn't be fun at all, just really monotonous and boring.

USA Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by A. P. Hill View Post
    Really? three guys to operate a gun?

According to everything I've ever read, a gun crew consists of 10 guys to operate effectively. And that's not counting the teamsters.
    I don't think that would be very fun gameplay wise.

CSA Major

The NW method of a gunner and loader works out fine, with the loader contributing vastly to a gun's quick usage. If there is enough incentives to want to be a loader other than some players simply enjoy it, the better.
    Second Lieutenant Douglas L. Landree
    Platoon Commander
    30th VA Vol. Inf. Regt. Co. A "Washington Guards"

USA Major

Do remember the only thing this game has in common with NW & N&S is the time period and genre. But as for incentives for loading a cannon, I would think a system where if a cannon you loaded got a kill it would be simply counted as your kill aswell as the gunner.

CSA Colonel

I think that the point in regards to casual play is a valid one and, while I believe that this will be a non-issue in events with organized artillery crews, the ability to crew a cannon with only one or two people will need to be available. The Napoleonic Wars example is a good comparison, one which I believe is likely to be replicated in the final game. My questions are: Is there any information on the crewing of cannons? How were the different members of the crew equipped and trained? With that in mind, do the devs have any plans when it comes to how many different unit selections there will be for cannon crews (gunner, loader, swabber, etc? Will these units be limited in their actions or will there be a multipurpose unit that can perform all the duties needed to maintain and fire the gun? Are cannon actions even limited to the crew units or can any man use them? With the maintenence of unit cohesion mentioned in other threads, what would be the "colors" a crew could stay by to gain bonuses? The gun itself or actual unit colors? Might gun crews be listed in killfeeds and leaderboards as one unit or would just the gunner recieved the kill?

And if there has been no thought whatsoever towards artillery as well, that's just fine
    Last edited by Jonny Powers; 12-03-2015 at 02:45 AM.
    Sincerely,
    Lieutenant Colonel Jonny Powers
    5th Georgia Volunteers, Company A, "Clinch Rifles"

CSA Lieutenant Colonel

The developers have yet to go into detail on how artillery will work. They probably aren't even 100% sure yet.

Let's wait and see what they come up with!
    "The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on Earth." - Lieutenant General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

"It is well that war is so terrible. Otherwise we should grow too fond of it." - General Robert E. Lee

"I would rather die a thousand deaths than betray a friend." - Confederate Scout, Sam Davis

Brigadier General James J. Archer
    Archer's Brigade
    A.P. Hill's Light Division
    Army of Northern Virginia

USA Lieutenant Colonel

I personally think there should be at least 3 people to operate the artillery because it is more realistic than one guy doing everything. Think of all the work you have to do. Getting the gun in position, loading and again clean the cannon. For one Person that would be a pretty hard workout. It would be like running through the fields with full gear, without any loss of stamina. Also ... if it is not easy to use artillery you get the real feeling of accomplishing something within the team as you are giving artillery support for your boys at the frontline. I would have no problem to just reload the gun over 30 minutes because it IS the job you have to do to help your men.

Also little side effect: If it's hard you can filter out the soldiers from the artillerst and the recruits from the veterans. MORE IMMERSION!

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    You do know what's extremely interesting about this discussion.

Reenactment groups have no problem raising complete units of guys to man a gun. That means there are 8 or so guys just standing around a gun doing their real jobs. But yeah, in the real world there is no problem in filling all the positions on a gun crew.

I don't see why it should be a problem here as well. There are already Artillery units here with enough men to man a section properly. Do you think every man in an artillery unit is automatically going to get a cannon of his own? Really?