Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Suggestion for artillery

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hinkel View Post
    Well, for a double canister, you just need 1 powder charge and two of these pieces:

So, why not?
    All it takes is some additional animation!

CSA Major

Look at it this way i believe the devs said they were aiming for at least 200 players in a battle maybe at most 300 or 400 would be what i'd guess. Historically there would've been thousands of men in these battles so what this means is everything has to be downsized to accommodate limitations for this being a game. Just like there arent going to be regiments of 1000 men you cant have 20 or even 10 people manning one cannon. You'd have 20% of your team just standing around loading guns which just wouldn't work. I'd say take whatever it was historically and downsize it 10x so if in real life it took 20 men in this game 2 or 3 would be a good number.

CSA Major

Well, for a double canister, you just need 1 powder charge and two of these pieces:

So, why not?
    I hope that means what I think it means
    Imagine the devastation this will cause in game
    Jesse S. Crosby, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - May 6, 1864

Samuel T. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - September 2, 1862

Joseph C. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - October 1, 1863

Henry C. McKenzie, 3rd Georgia Infantry, June 1, 1861 - January 28, 1863

Charles R. Beddingfield, 38th Alabama Infantry

Samuel L. Cowart, Cobb's Legion

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Fisterbottom View Post
    Look at it this way i believe the devs said they were aiming for at least 200 players in a battle maybe at most 300 or 400 would be what i'd guess. Historically there would've been thousands of men in these battles so what this means is everything has to be downsized to accommodate limitations for this being a game. Just like there arent going to be regiments of 1000 men you cant have 20 or even 10 people manning one cannon. You'd have 20% of your team just standing around loading guns which just wouldn't work. I'd say take whatever it was historically and downsize it 10x so if in real life it took 20 men in this game 2 or 3 would be a good number.
    You can operate a gun with one person irl. In game people will probably stick with three or so people per gun, 1-2 loaders, 1 to set the charge and retrieve ammo, and one to aim and fire the gun.
    Last edited by Legion; 02-26-2016 at 10:11 PM.

CSA Major

Many thanks. That must have been a hell of a poinding for the boys that day.

So with all the available munition types and the potential lines of sight across the map I can certainly concede that with 200 + per side in a game you could have a fair few 5 man arty crews.

I most whole hearty hope this is the case and people do want to make well drilled and professional arty companies etc.

USA 1st Lieutenant

But it wouldn't be any faster with more players if there is no stamina. There's no use having a guy just to stick the ramrod in and another to put the shell in as one job can't be done til the other has. So if there is no stamina, you're at most shaving off the quarter of a second for the guy who put the ramrod in to pick the shell up and then put it in. I agree with Willie that it would just be a waste of players to have 10+ men on each gun when servers might only have 200 people.

So why not having 1 player, commanding a full battery of AI guns?
    Just my 50 cents..

CSA Brigadier General

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    You can operate a gun with one person irl. In game people will probably stick with three or so people per gun, 1-2 loaders, 1 to set the charge and retrieve ammo, and one to aim and fire the gun.
    Well yea but without a vent stop you run the risk of the cannon blowing up which is why a 1 man crew is dangerous do take some time and read up on the dangers of muzzle loading cannon it's pretty scary. I still think 5 people is the right amount for a crew it covers all the major positions and should give the quickest rate of fire. its also an achievable number.

I think AI guns would be a good idea and make it pretty intense advancing in open ground.

sig courtesy of MadWolf 42nd Pen

USA 1st Lieutenant

AI don't muck things up and you can't train AI to be better

CSA Major

So why not having 1 player, commanding a full battery of AI guns?
    Just my 50 cents..
    I hope your joking. Also, in reply to bloodbeag multiple people will be faster than one person even if there is no stamina because you will have multiple people do different jobs at the same time rather than 1 person doing all jobs one step at a time. why do you think artillery crews have multiple people? its not because of stamina. Also there is more jobs to a gun crew than you might think, its not just load and shoot.
    1 gunner, he commands and aims the piece
    1-4 cannoneers they load clean and fire the gun.
    1 person to move ammo and powder to the gun from the limber.
    1-2 people to set and prepare ammo(set fuses etc etc)
    As you can see there is multiple jobs going on, quite a few go on at the same time. so one person doing all these jobs will be much slower with or without stamina.
    I'm not saying we have to have 8 men like in real life, we could bring it down to 3 or 4 but you will need more than one person if you hope to be any good.

Challis89. I agree with you that one person shouldnt operate a gun I was just saying it is possible. I also agree that 3-5 people will probably be the norm for player arty crews. I disagree with the ai though, I hope there is no ai guns, this needs to be an all player experience.
    Last edited by Legion; 02-27-2016 at 12:19 PM.