Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast

Thread: Weapons

CSA Captain

So on a map where the Confederates have to storm across a football field and a half of open bridge, a map where two union lines can poach one bridge with a tunnel at the end and an overhang above, a map that features a rail bridge that breaks open into a stone wall covered area, a map where the confederates must then push across an open street to find cover and take the point...

And you want to add not one, but two repeating guns? And you think some Confederate artillery in the forest is a good counter?

Deal. But the CSA must be allowed to set up canister loaded cannons at Burnside's Bridge.
    Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in!

I'll meet you half way. One Union Repeating Gun has only half ammunition and one in 15 privates at Burnside's Bridge gets a Double Barrel Shotgun and a bowie knife.

Confederate Soldiers with shotguns.jpg

Civil War Shotgun Ammunition.jpg
    Last edited by Jackalgunner; 05-03-2018 at 06:17 PM.

But wait there's more! (repeating information too but eh)

Used by the 28th Pennsylvania in a skirmish near Middleburg, Virginia, in late March of 1862. The guns decimated confederate cavalry but were shipped back in April due to overblown concerns of safety (and the general incompetence necessary to rag on a weapon that won you the battle, "inefficient" my butt).

17 at Harpers Ferry captured by Confederate forces before they could be issued. I haven't really found anything about the Confederates using them afterwards.

McClellan possessed 50 Agar Guns in the Penninsula Campaign as reported by British Military Observers. Something to think about for the future, eh?

"Governor Andrew Curtin of Pennsylvania made sure that many of his state’s infantry regiments approached Richmond armed with machine guns. A private in the 83rd Pennsylvania wrote that 'all the Pennsylvania regiments have them.'" (Spring 1862)

The 96th Pennsylvania were well known for possessing one throughout the war, they even have a picture with it (I'm pretty sure I posted it earlier in the thread). I think a museum in Pennsylvania still has their gun.
    The 49th Pennsylvania employed a 'Coffee Mill' at the Battle at Golding’s Farm on June 28, 1862.
    The 31st New York possessed one and complained about it.
    The 56th New York Volunteers fielded one at Yorktown but abandoned it further into the campaign. (presumably from spent ammunition)
    The 1st New Jersey fielded seven at the Battle of Gains Mill on June 27, 1862. The 96th was also present here and may have contributed or fielded theirs.
    Unknown amount fielded at the Battle of Seven Pines. It's also worth noting that the Confederate Williams Gun was also fielded here.
    Unknown amount used at Petersburg (along with a Gatling gun).
    Ten were ordered by Rosecrans but didn't make it in time for Chickamauga. They were probably the guns that got stuck on some patrol boats that saw no action. (which is a shame because that means no vietnam style gunboat shenanigans)
    Unknown amount at Crampton's Gap (South Mountain). The 31st New York (which guarded the Fairfax Railroad with one not long before) and the 96th Pennsylvania were present here.
    Two were used at the Battle of Williamsburg in May, 1862 under the 12th New York Militia (called the Excelsior Brigade lol).

There's probably more but I think this is pretty good for now.

When Richard Gatling shilled his product, he sold it as being not “the inferior arm known as the ‘coffee mill gun.’”

USA General of the Army

http://www.civilwarartillery.com/can...tor_small1.jpg I would like to see the use of this 13 inch mortar on the field of battle, LOL It would be just fun to fire it in game.

CSA Captain

I'm not sure if this has been said already but I'd want to see the Remington Model 1858 that'd so be wait I'd keep on me.

USA Brigadier General

The 1858 is ingame, its one of the pistols you can spawn with.
    First Sergeant Joseph P. Brevett of Company B, 2nd Maryland Infantry

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother; be he ne’er so vile,
    This day shall gentle his condition;- William Shakespeare, Henry V

A Good Resource for The Maryland Campaign

Why do people want rapid fire machine guns so badly? They cite a source that says a regiment in an enormous battle had one and think it should be included.

CSA Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by McMuffin View Post
    Why do people want rapid fire machine guns so badly? They cite a source that says a regiment in an enormous battle had one and think it should be included.
    I have seen it in almost every game with a historical setting. People want their own favorite rare weapon included. Any minor historical plausibility is all they consider, the fact that it would be the the worst possible thing for the actual enjoyment of the game seems not to matter.

USA Lieutenant General

I do not agree with adding a weapon that was only fielded once or seen VERY limited combat. I think just the standard normal weapons are fine. It makes the game interesting and a lot of times especially with this game. It depended on which side is more Disciplined and has the commander that knows how to react to the changing situations on the battlefield. There is no real big weapon advantages in WoR. For the most part both sides pretty much have the same weapons.

- Kyle

It would be pretty amazing if they put some mortar and artillery into the field of play.

It would probably need a simplistic aiming system so people would use them, but it would still be cool to be able to use a trig card for ranging.
    And maybe artillery pieces could be available through your company. As a company growth reward or something.