Thread: The Raftsman's Rangers- Company K [NA/EU]

The Raftsman's Rangers- Company K [NA/EU]

I here by reserve all rights to the Raftsman's Rangers to use as a regimental name. This company is still in formation and rules will be discussed upon entry to the Company itself. This lesser know ranger regiment served the Union Army in many battles. Its affiliated with the Bucktails as part if the 42nd Volunteers historically. Rangers primarily were used as recon and infantry support as the mounted infantry unit they were. If interested in joining or wanting to contact any of the leaders, adding on steam is a preference.

Company Commander:
    Steam Name: [RR] Cpt Maxwell
    Steam URl: http://steamcommunity.com/id/RaftsmenMaxwell/
    Company Executive Officer: Undecided
    Company First Sergent: Undecided

Historical Stuff
    Organized at Harrisburg June 21, 1861. Moved to a point opposite Cumberland, Md., June 22; thence into West Virginia in support of Lew Wallace. Duty on State line until July 27. Ordered to Harper's Ferry August 1. Assigned to George H. Thomas' Brigade, Banks' Division, and duty at Harper's Ferry until October. Moved to Tennallytown, Md., October 1. Attached to 2nd Brigade, McCall's Pennsylvania Reserves Division, Army of the Potomac, to March, 1862. 1st Brigade, 2nd Division, 1st Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, to April, 1862. 3rd Brigade, McCall's Division, Dept. of the Rappahannock, to June, 1862. (Cos. "C," "G," "H" and "I" detached May 12, 1862, and attached to Bayard's Cavalry Brigade, Dept. of the Rappahannock, to June, 1862. 1st Corps, Army of Virginia, to August, 1862.) 3rd Brigade, 3rd Division, 5th Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, to August, 1862. 3rd Brigade, 3rd Division, 3rd Corps, Army of Virginia, to September, 1862. 1st Brigade, 3rd Division, 1st Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, to February, 1863. 1st Brigade, Pennsylvania Reserve Division, 22nd Corps, Dept. of Washington, to June, 1863. 1st Brigade, 3rd Division, 5th Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, to June, 1864.

SERVICE.--Moved from Tennallytown, Md., to Camp Pierpont, near Langley, Va., October 10, 1861, and duty there until March, 1862. Expedition to Hunter's Mills October 20, 1861 (Cos. "A," "G," "H," "I" and "K"). Expedition to Grinnell's Farm December 6. Action at Dranesville December 20. Advance on Manassas, Va., March 10-15. McDowell's advance on Falmouth April 9-19. Duty at Fredericksburg until June. (Cos. "C," "G," "H" and "I" reported to Colonel Bayard May 15, 1862. Pursuit of Jackson up the Shenandoah Valley May 25-June 6. Harrisonburg June 1. Strasburg June 2. Strasburg and Staunton Road June 2. Woodstock June 3. Mount Jackson June 3. Harrisonburg June 6-7. Cross Keys June 8. Pope's Campaign in Northern Virginia August 16-September 2. Catlett's Station August 22. Bull Run Bridge August 30-31. Rejoined Regiment September 7, 1862.) Regiment moved to White House June 9-12. Seven days before Richmond June 25-July 1. Battles of Mechanicsville June 26; Meadow Bridge, near Mechanicsville, June 26; Gaines Mill June 27; Savage Station June 29; Charles City Cross Roads or Glendale June 30; Malvern Hill July 1. At Harrison's Landing until August 16. Movement to Join Pope August 16-26. Battles of Gainesville August 28; Groveton August 29; Bull Run August 30. Maryland Campaign September 6-24. Battles of South Mountain September 14; Antietam September 16-17. Duty in Maryland until October 30. Movement to Falmouth, Va., October 30-November 19. Battle of Fredericksburg December 12-15. "Mud March" January 20-24, 1863. Ordered to Washington, D.C., February 6, and duty there and at Alexandria until June 25. Ordered to join Army of the Potomac in the field. Battle of Gettysburg, Pa., July 1-3. Pursuit of Lee July 5-24. Duty on the Rapidan until October. Bristoe Campaign October 9-22. Advance to line of the Rappahannock November 7-8. Rappahannock Station November 7. Mine Run Campaign November 26-December 2. Guard Orange & Alexandria Railroad until April, 1864. Rapidan Campaign May 4-31. Battles of the Wilderness May 5-7; Laurel Hill May 8; Spottsylvania May 8-12; Spottsylvania Court House May 12-21. Assault on the Salient May 12. Harris Farm May 19. North Anna River May 23-26. Jericho Ford May 25. On line of the Pamunkey May 26-28. Totopotomoy May 28-31. Veterans and Recruits transferred to 190th Pennsylvania June 1. Mustered out June 11, 1864.
    Regiment lost during service 11 Officers and 151 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 2 Officers and 88 Enlisted men by disease. Total 252.
    Last edited by Maxwell; 11-21-2015 at 04:52 AM.

Tampa, Florida, USA, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy
    Welcome to the Bucktails, Captain Irvin...or should I say Lieutenant Colonel Irvin?

Here is a link to "The History of the Bucktails."

LINK

The muster roll, containing names of all unit members, begins on page 470 of the .pdf, which is page 426 of the book, itself. As the commanding officer of the unit, you would, I believe, be Edward A. Irvin.

S! (Salute!)

-Irish
    "Forward, Bucktails, there's fun ahead!" -Lieutenant Colonel Thomas Leiper Kane
    The Bucktails were said to be all superior marksmen, and during the first year of the war they distinguished themselves as skirmishers and sharpshooters. -The Gettysburg Daily
    ODonovan on Star Citizen - odonovan1 on World War II Online - Formerly @Power Play on City of Heroes

USA Brigadier General

Fyi, the company was called The Raftsman Rangers, but they were not mounted, they were infantry like the rest of the 13th.
    First Sergeant Joseph P. Brevett of Company B, 2nd Maryland Infantry

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother; be he ne’er so vile,
    This day shall gentle his condition;- William Shakespeare, Henry V

A Good Resource for The Maryland Campaign

Thanks for the info, i found the name and did not look too far into them. The idea i put for mounted infantry came off of knowing the Rangers in the south since that's what came up the most. I plan to keep them mounted though, i think it would be more fun
    Last edited by Maxwell; 11-24-2015 at 12:17 AM.

USA Brigadier General

Good Luck!

USA General of the Army

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
    Thanks for the info, i found the name and did not look too far into them. The idea i put for mounted infantry came off of knowing the Rangers in the south since that's what came up the most. I plan to keep them mounted though, i think it would be more fun
    The North didn't mount their men in the same way sadly.

Are you basically going for an ahistorical mounted ranger unit for the Union?

Yeah basically, i dont really know how the units will be set up in the game, so i went on a limb and made something similar to the cav present in the mount and blade warband mod. It be great to play as the south rangers would have, but that would depend on the games mechanics.

CSA Captain

Good luck to you guys.
    Captain William Clark Falkner
    2nd Mississippi
    Company F

"I'll tell you what war is about, you've got to kill people, and when you've killed enough they stop fighting." - Curtis LeMay
    "Impossible is a word to be found only in the dictionary of fools." - Napoleon I
    "Cowards die many times before their actual deaths." - Julius Caesar