Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Artillery Companies ...

What is the ultimate size of the server? I heard 150. If that is so, that is 75 per side (more or less). If one battery will take up 40 or so positions, that leaves a cant 35 positions for infantry, not to mention the huge disparity of firepower.

I also noticed that "Companies" are not full companies. (not a criticism, just an observation). If they are going to be scaled down versions of companies, then maybe artillery should be as well. Two instead of 6 or 4.
    <--PikeStance -----
    New Orleans Native, Living in Shanghai!

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    What is the ultimate size of the server? I heard 150. If that is so, that is 75 per side (more or less). If one battery will take up 40 or so positions, that leaves a cant 35 positions for infantry, not to mention the huge disparity of firepower.

I also noticed that "Companies" are not full companies. (not a criticism, just an observation). If they are going to be scaled down versions of companies, then maybe artillery should be as well. Two instead of 6 or 4.
    They want servers to be larger, and if I were to guess, I would say probably 250 would cap it out.

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post

Don't set your limitations to what you currently see in game. The ultimate future for this game is to remove the skirmish areas and open the whole 5KM Square Map of Antietam as a general battlefield. Limiting players to 75 per side would be pointless on a map of that size.

As McMuffin states, the populations will grow over time. It has taken quite a while to get to the 150 Cap currently in play. So there is no doubt that if the softwares/clients/etc., can handle it, population limits will grow.

And yes, some "companies" are not full, in fact if you look through the Company Tool you'll find every unit that was involved in the 1862 Maryland Campaign is listed. Many of those units have 0 players associated with them, but they are there for that time as the gamer population grows as well as the server populations grow.

You have to remember access to actual play has been limited until recently, and even with that influx, there will remain companies that do not have full quotas. Currently to be qualified as a reserved unit, membership has to reach and hold 10 players. That reservation of a unit can be lost if the players fall out of the unit and it falls below 10. Companies can be claimed by anyone at anytime until it reaches that coveted 10. After that they are limited to 100 players max. Just like real companies.

Also don't confuse historical information that's posted as information purposes and teaching to be a direct indication of game population progress. There is nothing in my earlier post showing "A Paper Battery" for the Federal Side even implying that it has anything other than informational purposes toward the game and the players.

There is nothing more as a purist and a historian I would love to see more than to have complete and fully complimented units, it's all in the future. I have no doubt the developers can do it.

That's good to know!

Thank you both
    <--PikeStance -----
    New Orleans Native, Living in Shanghai!

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by A. P. Hill View Post
    There is nothing more as a purist and a historian I would love to see more than to have complete and fully complimented units, it's all in the future. I have no doubt the developers can do it.
    We chose the 8th Virginia as they would be much easier to replicate on the field than probably any other regiment in game. They turned up to South Mountain on 14th September with only 34 men, and then 22 to Sharpsburg.

Giant map will be cool, but I do not know how many people and coordination that would require.

USA General of the Army

Now that artillery is out on the test server, please note the following:

Also quick note, as everyone was running around with artillery rounds in their hands and wondering what to do.

The guns need sponged first, sponging only works from the number 1 position.
    After sponging, the rounds can be inserted, (only one at a time,) and this is done from the number 2 position. Sponging needs to occur after every shot fired.

Elevation of the tube, and inserting the primer can only happen from the Gunner's position. And can be performed by just about anyone.

The pivoting of the piece, usually performed by the number 3 man, can also be done by anyone. Pivoting can be done at any time, including while being sighted from the gunner's position.

Hope this helps some

USA General of the Army

The following Link will take you to an online magazine called "The American Artilleryman". This is the Summer 2016 issue.

On page 36 it starts an article entitled "School of the Piece" This is a must for every artilleryman.

LINK

The differences here are all players in game come with a Sponge/Rammer, exception is the Captain of the Battery. That being said, game positions will be hyphenated in that the Number 2 man will actually take his position and that of the Number 5, and Number 6 men. There is no vent service in game yet, except for priming the piece, so theoretically the only job for Number 3 is the Trail Handspike. The Gunner, (Corporal,) can sight and elevate the gun then vacate the spot to allow for a Number 4 man to prime the piece and fire it on command using the left mouse button. All the crew men identified with Numbers are all privates.

If you want a Number 5 and Number 6, you can rotate turns with the Number 2 man to load the piece. Finally there's a single sergeant per gun, and he is over all the previous listed crew.

A Pair of crews as defined above are under the command of a Lieutenant. So with a 6 gun Battery, there'll be a 1st Lt, and two 2nd Lt.

Round out your battery with one First Sergeant, and one Quartermaster Sergeant.

The caissons are nonfunctional at this time and the Ammo Chest on the Limber is limited to 25 rounds as the tray is currently nonremovable.

Hope this help all you Battery Crews.

My understanding is that Ordnance Sergeants were assigned to forts and not to units in the field.

But beyond that, is there any plan to allow for venting, manual fuse cutting, and use of sights, cannon levels, and other aiming equipment etc?

USA General of the Army

Edited and corrected.