Thread: Server Admins - Ingame Admin Tool

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    All admin stuff is abused and you'll start to see some any day now. Any sort of admin chat will be abused. I used to get drunk and set players on fire in my heydey. It was funny. The problem is not everyone is always in the mood for what you're in the mood for.

So yeah it can be abused or used stupidly. I think people will flock to better-ran servers though. Oftentimes you see a community become dominated by a single organization and it's more a sign of the monopoly they hold than anything.

I was on an event a couple weeks ago in another game and the admin's team was losing and the server suddenly changes the reinforcements for one team to 999. Stuff like that turns players away. That doesn't mean people shouldn't be able to make legitimate alterations to stuff (transparently to both teams). It's just up to servers to try and be adults.

Having some sort of log of all admin commands initiated would be a useful tool in helping owners police their admins. There's nothing like finding out someone is damaging your brand while you're at work hosting rap battles or "Hunt the Jew" style events. Bad admins can be hard to detect and a major stress. You never know when someone is going to crack and decide the game isn't important to them anymore so they can do things that will get them fired or banned. It's rare, but it happens.

When you have 149 people in a server you just can't expect them to hang on every word in a chat box though or scroll up to see missed ones. A 'MOTD' or 'Rules' command or menu which brings up a server announcement would help. So an admin can say "Type Rules" to see rules for the event type: Teamplay or whatever and each player can do that on his own, hopefully without spamming the chat too bad. Or any number of screens, perhaps custom ones. Perhaps even allowing an image. So a player types "Recruit" he sees info on recruting / "rules" info on the server rules, "event" info on an event. It would be cool. None of this is really an emergency though.

The best though would be some sort of admin all-talk God voice, which obviously isn't immersive either and can also be abused (of course). I found that worked very well for getting people's attention. I had people running events literally print out a script and read it verbatim so they weren't forgetting standard server event rules and it worked well. There's always some guy who doesn't speak English but that's another issue.
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 12-21-2018 at 02:12 AM.
    Gameplay Suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUuaVXTJsY

Old Pennsylvania Discord: https://discord.gg/MjxfZ5n